Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 100195 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #435 on: November 1, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Outside of the Vikings not being able to cover a LB...old fashioned ass whoopin.  You guys remember that Farve used to play for the Packers?  They didn't want him anymore

That's a pretty simplistic view of what happened.  It wasn't that they didn't want him - they just couldn't build a team around a guy who wouldn't decide if he was playing or not until a week before the season.  Switch Favre and Rodgers around in the game today and I think you'd see Rodgers walk away with the win instead of "We'll never forget you Brent."  I think Peterson gives the Vikes a bit of an advantage as well. 

Overall, a pretty fun game to watch despite the outcome.  Looked like it was going to be a blowout at first, so I'm glad the Cheese put out a little more effort in the second half.  Kudos on the win Vikings fans!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 1, 2009, 08:19 PM »
That booing was a farce.  Packer fans should be embarrassed. 

Which booing?  Are you saying they shouldn't have booed Favre or should have booed him more.  I was pretty embarrassed by the stupid signs in the stands saying "we still love you Favre."  Buncha pansies.  Those aren't Packer fans, those are just Brent* fans. 

Yes, I know it's Brett.  I have decided to just call him Brent from now on.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 1, 2009, 08:54 PM »

Which booing?  Are you saying they shouldn't have booed Favre or should have booed him more.  I was pretty embarrassed by the stupid signs in the stands saying "we still love you Favre."  Buncha pansies.  Those aren't Packer fans, those are just Brent* fans. 

Nah, he deserves applause.  They should be booing Ted Thompson.  Meanwhile, Favre's throwing TD passes all over the place on the Packers, swept the series, and took a stranglehold on the North.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 1, 2009, 09:35 PM »

Nah, he deserves applause.  They should be booing Ted Thompson.  Meanwhile, Favre's throwing TD passes all over the place on the Packers, swept the series, and took a stranglehold on the North.

Rob, since you're not a Packer fan, I'll try to be understanding of your position.  As an actual Packer fan,  I completely side with those who are loyal to the team and not to an ex player.  I root for my team and boo for the opposing team.  Every opposing QB that takes the field at any NFL game gets booed by the fans and Favre should be no different.  He was a great player for the Packers, but if you take the field playing against the home team, you should get booed just like anybody else.  The people with no class are those so loyal to Brent that they would wear Green and Gold and still cheer for him as a Viking.  I'm I Green Bay Packers fan, not a Favre fan. 

As for Thompson and the rest of the organization, I don't think Favre really gave them any choice.  You should try building a team around a guy who can't decide if he is going to play again year after year.  How do you draft not even knowing who your starting QB is going to be each year?  They did their best to accomodate him for a few years and then they went in another direction. 

And yes, Favre is playing some great football right now, but I guarantee you he would not be having this kind of season with the Packers.  His success is tied to the supporting cast of the Vikings (Allen, Peterson, the Williams Wall) and I'm sure he feels rejuvenated playing for a new team all over again after all these years.  As I recall, most experts predicted the Vikings to win the NFC North even before Favre signed up...if they can win with T-Jack, they sure as hell ought to be winning with a guy like Favre under center. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 1, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Rob, since you're not a Packer fan, I'll try to be understanding of your position.  As an actual Packer fan,  I completely side with those who are loyal to the team and not to an ex player.  I root for my team and boo for the opposing team.  

I don't have to be a Packer fan to know how I'd treat one of the all time greats if he left the team after 16 years and came back to play.  Namely, with class.  That said, my girlfriend of ten years is a die hard Packer fan, she's from Wisconsin, her family still has a house on some land near Holcombe, so I follow the team pretty closely and routinely root for them when they're not playing Tampa.  Although this whole debacle has me definitively siding with Favre.  I guess blind support for the organization is your thing.  That's cool.  I'm not exactly a casual observer who just likes Favre because he's one of the all time greats or anything, I've been watching him and the Packers for the last ten years.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2009, 10:15 PM by Rob »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #440 on: November 1, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Kevin Garnett got thunderous applause when he came back with the Celtics against the Wolves.  The Vikings own Brett Farvesque drama in Randy Moss would get a rousing ovation if he came back to the Dome.  MN sports is littered with sports stars that started here but left for a better place.  I've never seen something like this: Packer Fans booed their 16 yr HOF Quarterback for an entire game, and when it was clear that they were losing, they booed their own team.  Farve was traded, McCarthy and Thompson did not want him back. He still wanted to play!  The Packers have to look at the fact that they have an excellent QB in Erin Rodgers who puts up great stats between the 20's and can't compete with better teams because, well, his team sucks.  Maybe he'll get lucky and the Packers will trade him, too.  :-*  

The only thing that would have made this day better is if Farve had mocked mooned the endzone and bumped his butt on the goalpost

« Last Edit: November 1, 2009, 10:36 PM by Scott »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 1, 2009, 10:59 PM »

The longstanding insult name is Beth, not Brent. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 1, 2009, 11:11 PM »
I don't have to be a Packer fan to know how I'd treat one of the all time greats if he left the team after 16 years and came back to play.  

Yeah, I think you do.  There's no equivalent to this situation.  If Moss came back to play against the Vikes as a Patriot, I'd expect applause.  If Favre came back to play the Packers as a NY Jet, then even there I might expect applause.  In this case, the former star player of the team came back as a Viking in one of the biggest division rivalries in the NFL.  He was interviewed this week as saying the team he's playing on now is the best team he's ever played on, which is basically a slap in the face to the '96 Super Bowl team.  Of course he's going to get booed.

And Scott, I know news travels slowly to Mankato and key details may get misunderstood via the town telegraph system, but Favre RETIRED in 2007.  He said he was going to retire the two years prior as well.  I'm not sure what your qualifications as a GM might be or how often you've personally spoken with McCarthy, Thompson, or anyone in the Packers organization, but if I had a guy who was bordering on retirement year after year and wouldn't tell me which way he was going to go until well after the draft, I'm guessing I might not be working that hard to make him stay either.

And speaking of class acts, nice of Scott to bring up the Moss mooning.  That has to be one of the classiest moves in NFL history.  Interesting to see how quickly you've moved from Favre-hater to demanding he show more ass.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 1, 2009, 11:14 PM »
The longstanding insult name is Beth, not Brent. 

Maybe in Canada.  This is more common in the states:

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #444 on: November 1, 2009, 11:15 PM »
You do realize that Packer fans routinely moon the opposing teams bus in and out of the stadium...sort of like booing a HOF quarterback...and your own team...in the same game...classy!!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 2, 2009, 12:12 AM »
You do realize that Packer fans routinely moon the opposing teams bus in and out of the stadium...sort of like booing a HOF quarterback...and your own team...in the same game...classy!!

They're acting like Eagles fans.

How long until they start throwing batteries at players?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #446 on: November 2, 2009, 01:35 AM »
I don't know about the booing...  Cowher is very likely to take **** in Pittsburgh if he ever takes the field with another team, which Cleveland has been in the rumors...  He's a great coach, but fans aren't going to like seeing a guy who left town (rumored) because his wife wanted a better climate and to be closer to their daughter at college, more than because he didn't want to coach anymore.  Much less with the rival team...  It stings less when they leave for another coast I suppose, than next door.

I like the Vikings, didn't get to catch tonight's game though.

I did read an article about tonight's game, and I must say I liked the, "Favre-o, you broke my heart", with the perfectly photoshopped image of Michael kissing Brett...  That was some funny ****.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 2, 2009, 08:42 AM »
Good to see the Dolphins sweep a much hated division opponent like the Jets. :)  Glad they put Ginn Jr. back at kick returns, (which is what he is best at) since he sucks as a wide receiver. :P  We play the Patriots next, should be a good game!  Hopefully we come out on top.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 2, 2009, 12:21 PM »

Yes, a few drunk idiots outside the stadium is the equivalent of a player mock mooning fans on national TV during a playoff game.  I'm sure that no viking fan has ever done anything improper with regards to putting down their rivals.  Thanks for keeping it real, Kato.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 4, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Kevin Garnett got thunderous applause when he came back with the Celtics against the Wolves.  The Vikings own Brett Farvesque drama in Randy Moss would get a rousing ovation if he came back to the Dome.  MN sports is littered with sports stars that started here but left for a better place.  I've never seen something like this: Packer Fans booed their 16 yr HOF Quarterback for an entire game, and when it was clear that they were losing, they booed their own team.  Farve was traded, McCarthy and Thompson did not want him back. He still wanted to play!  The Packers have to look at the fact that they have an excellent QB in Erin Rodgers who puts up great stats between the 20's and can't compete with better teams because, well, his team sucks.  Maybe he'll get lucky and the Packers will trade him, too.  :-*  

The only thing that would have made this day better is if Farve had mocked mooned the endzone and bumped his butt on the goalpost

The only examples of ex players getting booed here that I can think of would be Knoblauch, Pierzynski and Marbury, but all three are jerks.