Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 99531 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #630 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I cannot stand the national media trying to make the Saints be the new Americas team. 

All because of one hurricane. (I sympathize with those who lost people and things)

It can't say much for the Saints to win in overtime to a team that kept turning the ball over.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #631 on: January 24, 2010, 11:29 PM »
I'm rooting for the Saints...  Never been there, and the Colts is too recent.  So I'm a Saints guy now.

I was torn in the game though, I didn't know who to feel bad or happy for, but at least know I was thinking of my MN friends on every drive they had.

The Favre pass at the end makes me wonder if he was sort of let loose with that by the coaches or if he chose that on his own accord.  He's not a guy I'm totally fond of but I liked the story around him this year and at his age and things.  So I am now left wondering if Favre was greenlighted to try that, or if it was even something they thought may happen, as a player was clearly there and ready...  He wasn't cutting over to block or anything after he ran his route, so it makes me just curious how much blame goes to Favre and how much goes to the coaches.

Total **** way to lose a game though, and I told my gf at the coin toss that whoever won, won the game...  I mean that's not stepping out on a limb, but in that game I think whoever got that pretty much had it bagged.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04 AM »
I cannot stand the national media trying to make the Saints be the new Americas team. 

All because of one hurricane. (I sympathize with those who lost people and things)

It can't say much for the Saints to win in overtime to a team that kept turning the ball over.

Total agreement with both of you.  Enough's enough with the media cheerleading of the Saints.

I'm rooting for Peyton Manning.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 25, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Tough loss Viking fans.  That's the old Favre we Packer fans are used to.  I was definitely rooting for the Saints in this one, but it's a little bittersweet knowing how man MN fans there are on these boards.  At least it was a really close, fun game to watch.  And how about a #1 seed facing a #1 seed in the SB - that almost never happens! 

I maybe haven't seen as much media chat about the Saints as some of you, but I'll be rooting for them in SB XLIV.  They've been a losing franchise for a looooong time and frankly, I think that city could use a big win rather than an "Almost was."  I like Brees and company and the coach, so it's not hard to get behind them.  I do think Indy has the edge on them, but Manning's had a ton of success in his career, so it be nice for someone else to get the spotlight for a change.  I am getting a little sick of the "Who dat?" crap though. 

Oh well, Go Saints!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 25, 2010, 09:38 AM »
I've said it before, but I really, really hate sudden death OT.  A fantastic game like that should not be decided by a coin flip.  Oh well.

For the record, I hope that Favre comes back.  If he's healthy, he's still a much better option at QB then the rest of the crap that the Vikings have.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23 PM »
12 men in the huddle coming out of a timeout. That's not even possible.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I'm rooting for the Saints...  Never been there, and the Colts is too recent.   So I'm a Saints guy now.

I doubt you said that when the Steelers won 2 Super Bowls in recent years.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #637 on: January 25, 2010, 10:53 PM »
Actually that's WHY I'm saying it. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #638 on: January 26, 2010, 12:34 AM »
Looking at how the Saints played against the Vikings....I have to think they are the weaker team going into the Superbowl.  The Vikings had 5 turnovers and yet they still managed to take it to overtime!

I just hope it's a good game and my numbers come up at the right time.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 26, 2010, 11:30 AM »
I'm not too upset.  I expected the choking chokers to choke and they did.  Vikings=Cubs.  I agree that the Colts should pound the Saints.  The Vikes had all of those turnovers and they barely lost. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 26, 2010, 12:20 PM »
I've said it before, but I really, really hate sudden death OT.  A fantastic game like that should not be decided by a coin flip.  Oh well.

What would you do differently?  It's not really decided by just a coin toss.  I think the stat for playoff overtime wins was 8-5 in favor of who called the coin - that's an edge, but hardly overwhelming.  I think the game was decided by dumb mistakes on behalf of the Vikings and a dumb throw by Favre - they were pretty equally matched outside of that.  And sorry, but those of you saying you're the Vikes are a better team because they hung in there despite more turnovers are smoking some kool-aid rolls.  The #1 seed Saints are a good team in their own right and deserve to be in the big game.  Best of luck to them.

And yeah, 12 men in the huddle in a game like this?  What!?  Pretty brutal mistake.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #641 on: January 26, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I think most people would want a College Style OT with alternating possessions from say the 35

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 26, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I think most people would want a College Style OT with alternating possessions from say the 35

That's not real football. That's as dumb as the shoot out in the NHL now.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #643 on: January 26, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Actually I like the shootout in hockey...  I think it's helped improve the game myself.  The format's sound that if you make it to OT you get a point, but only one's walking away with 2...  I think that's a good format personally, but I also didn't care for things ending in ties.

The problem with the NHL's format is it puts a lot of pressure on the goaltenders, and less on all the other players.

My feelings on NFL OT are really that each team should have a chance at possession and to defend, but that's me.  I don't know about starting from the 35 though...  I think the ball should be kicked to each team to start their series.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 26, 2010, 09:30 PM »

What would you do differently? 

One full quarter of OT.  If the score is still tied after that, then you go to sudden death for the second OT.