Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 99998 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #645 on: January 27, 2010, 09:07 AM »
I've said it before, but I really, really hate sudden death OT.  A fantastic game like that should not be decided by a coin flip.  Oh well.

What would you do differently? 

One full quarter of OT.  If the score is still tied after that, then you go to sudden death for the second OT.

Okay, but why do we need the full quarter of OT if it can go to a second quarter of OT?  I think it's just fine going to whoever scores first in overtime.  Look at the Packers/Cards game a few weeks ago.  There was no defense in that game and the Packers got the coin toss, so they should have won, but it's really either team's game at that point.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #646 on: January 27, 2010, 09:42 AM »
See, I like College OT.  It gives both teams a chance to score plus it adds some drama especially if you hold the other team to a FG or shut them out completely.  I realize that all the other team has to do in OT is stop them and they get a chance but it sucked to see the Vikes O on the sideline without a chance while the refs gave the Saints the W.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 27, 2010, 09:47 AM »
I hate turning the OT into something you'd do at the end of practice to determine who wins a game. That's why I really hate the NHL shoot out (not to mention that it makes the game worth 3 points) and don't like college football. What happened to special teams and field position and all the other things that are actuall a part of the game. Stop the Saints from advancing the ball. Return their punt and kick your own field goal.

OH AND DON'T HAVE 12 MEN IN THE HUDDLE COMING OUT OF A TIMEOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 27, 2010, 10:18 AM »
See, I like College OT.  It gives both teams a chance to score plus it adds some drama especially if you hold the other team to a FG or shut them out completely.  I realize that all the other team has to do in OT is stop them and they get a chance but it sucked to see the Vikes O on the sideline without a chance while the refs gave the Saints the W.

What I don't like about college overtime rules is that the second team to get the ball knows exactly what they need to win it.  If the first offense did not score, they just need a FG.  If the first team got a FG, they need a TD.  That is a clear advantage in knowing what you need that the first team doesn't get.  I also don't like the idea of second overtime or third overtime - let someone score and the game is over IMHO.

As for having a full extra quarter of overtime, I just don't see the advantage.  It makes the game longer I guess, which is good or bad depening on whether or not you like long games.  But it can still come down to whomever got the ball first if the two offenses are just ping-pong scoring back and forth and can still end up with no resolution forcing a second overtime.  Personally, I think extending overtimes is dangerous because everyone's tired and it's that's much easier to get a significant injury.

It may not be perfect, but I like the current overtime rules better than any of the proposed alternatives. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 27, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Both teams should at least have one chance on offense.  OK ... so maybe you don't play an entire extra quarter ... maybe you shorten it, i.e. instead of 15 minutes they play 8 (or something).  That's what the NBA does.  
That way, you're not just playing for a field goal attempt.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:43 AM by Neal »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #650 on: January 27, 2010, 04:19 PM »
My thoughts are similar to Neals in that each team should get a chance at playing both sides of the ball.  The ball's kicked off to the team going first on offense, they have to score or at least not turn it over for points.  If they don't score then the other team gets the ball kicked off to them and the same deal happens.  I think it maintains every aspect of the game from special teams onward, but it also gives both sides a chance rather than letting the coin decide.

Someone mentioned on a sports show the other night having it that you have to get to the 20 to kick a field goal...  I thought that was interesting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #651 on: January 29, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #652 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48 PM »
More salt for the wounds....

NFL: Refs missed call on low hit on Favre
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 29, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Yeah, that’s the way it goes sometimes.  At least it wasn’t two blown calls within two plays like the
missed roughing the passer and facemask calls on Aaron Rodgers a few weeks ago. 
Maybe the Packers beat the Saints and you’re looking at either the Vikes or the Pack
going to the Superbowl if the refs had been watching at the end of the game. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 29, 2010, 05:00 PM »
It's a wash.  They shouldn't have called the earlier 'roughing the passer' call.  Even Aikman disagreed with it.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 30, 2010, 09:14 AM »
I actually have an infinite amount of free tickets for the Vikes game next year where they are raising the "woulda shoulda coulda" NFC Championship banner if anyone wants to come.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 30, 2010, 10:53 AM »
I'll take one!  8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31 PM »
I hate turning the OT into something you'd do at the end of practice to determine who wins a game. That's why I really hate the NHL shoot out (not to mention that it makes the game worth 3 points)

My preference would have been for the league to have ties end as ties.  That was fine, both teams played equally, each got a point.  The shootout is a marketing tool it would seem, predominantly aimed at casual hockey fans.  Given the choice between regular season games going to OT or a shootout, I'd prefer the shootout.  In the playoffs though, OT all the way, forever.  But sudden death in hockey is very different than sudden death in football. 

I assume the Vikes will raise the banner at the season opener, so I should be there for that. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #658 on: February 8, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Good Superbowl!  I thought the Colts were going to win it, but glad the Saints pulled it off.

It's been nice the past few years that the games have either gone down to the last drive, or at least into the 4th quarter.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #659 on: February 8, 2010, 02:31 AM »
Good game for sure.  Glad the Saints won...  That int's going to haunt Manning.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77