Author Topic: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases  (Read 337098 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases
« Reply #690 on: September 15, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I grabbed the TRU exclusive "Droid Attack on the Coronet" pack - it's the one with the Spider Assassin Droid.  It was on sale for $22.50 and I got a $5 off coupon in the mail to use yesterday = not a bad deal on a TRU exclusive.  $17.50 + tax out the door.
UPC = 653569645986

I can't remember, was there a 2nd TRU exclusive BP, or was this it?  nope, this is it.

Also, for those keeping tabs, this TRU had just received three each of the TRU FU and Republic Commando Bps.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:02 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I picked one up today as well, heres a picture of the jump drive next to a movie figure:

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 16, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Scored the Droid Attack on the Coronet pack today - grabbed three to open and one to keep MIB - Captain Piet scored me another opener, so I'm done with this set.

Great time for this set to hit while the sale is going on, and like shmash mentioned, I also got a couple $5 rewards bucks in the mail and I used them as well towards the purchase of the sets. And because I spent over $30 I also got a R2 2GB USB drive.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 19, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Got a few figures off Ebay, including Blackout (not a fan of his inability to sit), battle pack Geonosian and battle pack space Ahsoka. One that was thrown in was a Season 1-2 Obi-Wan with grey clone armor pads on his hands instead of white. Anyone know which version that is? I looked around and didn't see it on Rebelscum's archives. Or is this a hand swap "custom"?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 19, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Found remnants of TCW Wave 10 at a local Target today. All they had left was a Hondo and a couple of El-Les'. They must have gotten in two cases. I picked up the Hondo, although I really have no use for him so will probably return. I already have an open one and a carded version from the first run.

I just checked this store Friday and they had nothing, so this is really a kick in the nuts in the worst way. You can't even get to this store on a weekend the traffic is such a freaking nightmare.

Naturally I ran around like a maniac and hit four more stores on the way home to no avail. So it looks like I missed my chance on these. God knows how long it will be before I see anything new on the pegs again.

I keep thinking things have gotten as bad as they can get, but then they get worse. It really did not use to be such a losing proposition trying to find new figures. It's crazy, you can hit multiple stores every day for weeks and still completely miss everything you want by taking ONE Saturday or Sunday off. Plus this whole "one Target got the new stuff and the other 13 around here got jack squat" is just baffling to me.

I keep hoping things will get better but we're almost into October now and these last few waves have been out since August, and I've yet to complete a single wave. I've never even seen remnants of Wave 12. It's just not fun anymore.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #695 on: September 20, 2011, 06:38 AM »
Found remnants of TCW Wave 10 at a local Target today. All they had left was a Hondo and a couple of El-Les'. They must have gotten in two cases. I picked up the Hondo, although I really have no use for him so will probably return. I already have an open one and a carded version from the first run.

I just checked this store Friday and they had nothing, so this is really a kick in the nuts in the worst way. You can't even get to this store on a weekend the traffic is such a freaking nightmare.

Naturally I ran around like a maniac and hit four more stores on the way home to no avail. So it looks like I missed my chance on these. God knows how long it will be before I see anything new on the pegs again.

I keep thinking things have gotten as bad as they can get, but then they get worse. It really did not use to be such a losing proposition trying to find new figures. It's crazy, you can hit multiple stores every day for weeks and still completely miss everything you want by taking ONE Saturday or Sunday off. Plus this whole "one Target got the new stuff and the other 13 around here got jack squat" is just baffling to me.

I keep hoping things will get better but we're almost into October now and these last few waves have been out since August, and I've yet to complete a single wave. I've never even seen remnants of Wave 12. It's just not fun anymore.

You really do need to calm down. If it's not fun anymore, perhaps you need to take a break and/or leave this HOBBY altogether.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 20, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I'd have to go with McMetal here- Hasbro's intention is to sell the figures, ours is to buy them. Something is not working right now.

There are 12 Target/Walmart stores that I hit monthly. I hit 4-5 of them several times a week when I am looking for something. I have yet to see CW wave 12, and El-les and Hondo were the last two that I found as well (Walmarts, separated by miles, on teh same week).

Target re-set to big displays, loaded them with new ships, masks, lightsabers, etc. But the figure pegs remained bare or full of old legends and yellow headed clones. Now those end caps are full of nerf blasters, just in time for the new cartoon and BR releases of the movies. I don't know if they pulled back production big-time, or if this is all distribution, but product really is not getting out to the shelves in quantity to meet demand. If we are having a hard time putting in as much time as we do, there is a good chance parents/kids never even know a figure from the show was produced, much less see it at retail.

I think Lucas would have been smart to make a movie each summer between CW seasons, like they did to kick it off. They are cheap to produce, wouldn't have to do too well to break even, and would keep the brand front and center for stores to support in the toy aisle. But the clone wars have to be winding down, so that window is closing fast.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 20, 2011, 08:22 AM »
I'd have to go with McMetal here- Hasbro's intention is to sell the figures, ours is to buy them. Something is not working right now.

I think the issue has more to do with impatience and a "gotta have it now" attitude than Hasbro's distribution. The holidays are coming, and stores will soon be stocking truckloads of toys. The Star Wars figures will be plentiful, just like every other year in recent memory. If you have to have the brand-new toys as soon as possible, order them online. They're available. If you don't like the case repacks, then donate them or sell/trade them off or pay scalper prices for individual figures. You can get the newest figures if you want them bad enough; otherwise just be patient and find them at retail.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 20, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Ok, so it's my fault.  ::)

There is a well-documented history, both recent and historical, of Clone Wars figures that are extremely hard to find at retail outlets. This dates all the way back to the last red/white wave with Hondo and Aayla. A lot of poeple NEVER saw those figures. Granted that was the last wave before a packaging reset, but the problem has continued. Many people have never seen a Season 3 Ahsoka on the pegs, or a Commander Colt, and that was like 5 waves ago now. Those figures have been in circulation, albeit crapy circulation, for months now and it is not getting any easier to find them.

These newer waves have a short shelf life. They do not hang around long and NEVER seem to ship in quantity. The distribution is extremely spotty at best. Whether it be Hasbro or the retailers themselevs, the new product is just not making it out to the consumer. So if anything it is this reality that creates the exaggerrated sense of urgency on the part of collectors.

If I had any confidence Seripas would be as easy to find as Season 3 Obi-Wan, I would not sweat it, believe me. But anyone who is playing close attention to this line will know this is not the case. There are no guarantees anymore that all the figures will be plentiful going forward. For all we know hasbro is cutting back on the production numbers to create more of a demand.

So I don't think you can blame collectors for wanting the new figures as soon as they start hitting, that's the midset that has been created because of the awful distribution situation. Fans should not have to ever resort to paying "scalper prices" or ordering cases full of old figures they no longer need. Not everyone has the luxury of overspending in this economy.

Is an online collector's forum not an appropriate place to vent about toy distribution? These are the same complaints that have been going on for months, so I don't get why that should come across as abrasive to anyone. I don't come in here to start a bunch of crap, really. My only point is that things seem as bleak as I can remember as far as the distribution situation for this particular line. It makes me wonder if we won't see a similar "carry-forward" strategy for some of the harder to find figures from this line as they are doing with TVC next year.

Dan, thanks for the lone voice of support.  Pete - I know you have my back on this too. :)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 20, 2011, 09:57 AM »
The "gotta have it now" people are the ones buying stuff from overseas on ebay, often at inflated prices. The rest of us just want the option to you know, buy at retail, like  how (normal) people buy any mass consumer products.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 20, 2011, 01:16 PM »
I don't think everyone who is frustrated fits the "Gotta Have it Now" mold.  It seems like the last several waves of CW have shown up somewhere and then no one finds anything for months.  I finally just found an El-Les a week ago and a friend has had him for at least 2-3 months.  I like being one of the first to find new things - I think all of us can relate to that.  But as long as I know something's coming down the road, I'm not going to panic about not getting it right away. 

Like Dan said, there is some kind of problem with distribution or production.  I think many of us are exhausted by the wait in trying to find some of these figures.  If your friend finds it and you spend the next 2-3 months striking out at retail, that is pretty frustrating.  Name something else in life where you're actively out trying to buy something and you strike out 99% of the time.  Its not good for the manufacturer or the fan base.

People may also be a little nervous about missing a "rare" figure and it not being available down the road.  See the initial reports of panic and crazy prices for Vintage Wedge as an example.  Yes, Hasbro plans to make him available next year, but who among us likes waiting a year to get their stuff?  Again, I'm not going to hit the panic button because I know he's on the way.  Doesn't mean I'm not bothered by the wait and who knows if they will make more the next time this happens?

Personally, I'm fine with people venting about not finding stuff.  It's pretty crazy that so many people are passionate about giving their hard earned money to Hasbro and Hasbro keeps failing to deliver.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 20, 2011, 01:49 PM »
I say to each their own as far as how fast your mind tells you you need to have stuff once it's out. I know I use to freak out the minute someone else found something and I didn't have it. Thankfully that's changed somewhat for me.

What I took from the original post was "good some new CW is hitting at Targets".
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #702 on: September 20, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Ok, so it's my fault.  ::)

There is a well-documented history, both recent and historical, of Clone Wars figures that are extremely hard to find at retail outlets. This dates all the way back to the last red/white wave with Hondo and Aayla. A lot of poeple NEVER saw those figures. Granted that was the last wave before a packaging reset, but the problem has continued. Many people have never seen a Season 3 Ahsoka on the pegs, or a Commander Colt, and that was like 5 waves ago now. Those figures have been in circulation, albeit crapy circulation, for months now and it is not getting any easier to find them.

These newer waves have a short shelf life. They do not hang around long and NEVER seem to ship in quantity. The distribution is extremely spotty at best. Whether it be Hasbro or the retailers themselevs, the new product is just not making it out to the consumer. So if anything it is this reality that creates the exaggerrated sense of urgency on the part of collectors.

If I had any confidence Seripas would be as easy to find as Season 3 Obi-Wan, I would not sweat it, believe me. But anyone who is playing close attention to this line will know this is not the case. There are no guarantees anymore that all the figures will be plentiful going forward. For all we know hasbro is cutting back on the production numbers to create more of a demand.

So I don't think you can blame collectors for wanting the new figures as soon as they start hitting, that's the midset that has been created because of the awful distribution situation. Fans should not have to ever resort to paying "scalper prices" or ordering cases full of old figures they no longer need. Not everyone has the luxury of overspending in this economy.

Is an online collector's forum not an appropriate place to vent about toy distribution? These are the same complaints that have been going on for months, so I don't get why that should come across as abrasive to anyone. I don't come in here to start a bunch of crap, really. My only point is that things seem as bleak as I can remember as far as the distribution situation for this particular line. It makes me wonder if we won't see a similar "carry-forward" strategy for some of the harder to find figures from this line as they are doing with TVC next year.

Dan, thanks for the lone voice of support.  Pete - I know you have my back on this too. :)

I agree with a lot that you're saying. I go out hunting a lot too, it must just be my mindset that if I don't take anything home with me that I don't take it home with me, you know what I mean? Distribution's totally screwed up on top of poor case packs but, as pointed out above, we're heading into the holiday season. I'm honestly not worried. We'll see another endcap tray deal at Wal-Mart with Colt, Riot Clone, etc.
I hear your vent, I wasn't trying to stifle it, it just felt a little too life-or-death. It's times like these maybe we should be on the lookout to help each other out a little more.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Yep, totally agree that times like this can and should engender a real sense of community among collectors. I am relieved to have finally met a few guys around town here that can act as remote eyes and ears when I can't get all over town hunting. We text back and forth and try to help each other out whenever possible.

Our TRU's all restocked today, but none of them got any new CW figures. The one location that has never put out a 4 way display with the Wave 11 stuff has still not gotten any new figures in for weeks now.

I did find the Attack on the Coronet BP and snagged that. I love the droid but as other have noted, this would have been the perfect place to pack in Duchess Satine. That would have made it perfect and more worth the $25+ price tag.

Other store across town got the Trench Run set as well, they always seem ahead of the curve.

BTW, I went back and looked at my receipt last night and realized the new Hondo I bought at Target rang up for $9.89!!! Has anyone else seen that? I could have SWORN the shelf tag said $7.99 still. Definitely going to inquire about that one.

Walmart seems to have a lot of their TCW figures on sale for $6.88 now.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43 PM »
I went to TRU today - they packed the pegs full of old CW stuff.

I went to Target today and grabbed Commander Jet and the Surfboard Arf Clone.  Passed on Snow Plo and Hondo