Author Topic: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases  (Read 337038 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases
« Reply #660 on: September 5, 2011, 08:52 PM »
The local TRU put up their Clone Wars display sometime over the past few days. To call it pathetic would be a gross understatement. It's literally the saddest in-store display I have ever seen. They maybe have 10 figures on the pegs, a mish-mash of Oddball, Cato, and Obis. They didn't even swap out the 4 way displays in the front which are still dedicated to CARS.

NO new figures, no new deluxe sets, no new vehicles. Just old garbage and not much of that.

Even the casual observer would have to scratch their heads and wonder, what's the point?

I am already sick of looking for these new figures, my state seems woefully behind on this stuff for some inexplicable reason.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #661 on: September 5, 2011, 11:45 PM »
The point is The Blu Rays are coming out, the Clone Wars season whatever is coming out on DVD soon, and so pushing the toys is important even if you haven't got the latest and greatest stuff to tantalize collectors...  Those media pushes always garner some movement from the retailers.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 6, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Yeah, that was really more of a rhetorical question, I understand the timing but it is an ill-conceived and poorly executed plan at best. Most stores with half a brain would ramp up for a major new display like that and have plenty of product to put out on the pegs, new or otherwise. Even Target got this at first when they did their resets.

Practically speaking, it really does you no good to have a major eye-catching display like that right in the front of the store if the empty spaces outnumber the actual items on the shelf. "Hey Kids! Clone Wars starts again soon, so remember to watch the show but don't bother finding any of the toys here."

JTA feels me:

"The distribution woes are nightmarish and it seems the only people not losing years off of their lives worrying about finding figures are those who are ordering them online. Hmm, that sounds like a splendid idea now, doesn't it? We'll say the same trite thing over and over again. Let's wait and see what happens in a few weeks. But it's very disheartening to wait for product to come that never does."

Word!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 6, 2011, 12:07 PM »
McMetal, keep an eye on your local TRU. The one by my school set their Star Wars display up early last week, but they didn't have the pallet of new goodies out until yesterday. Of course your store could be similar to the TRU back home, which just filled the display with old stuff, so maybe disregard my advice.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #664 on: September 6, 2011, 01:44 PM »
I don't fault anyone for wanting new stuff McMetal, everyone does and everyone wants to see more new stuff out, but the point stands that they're moving a big display up front with old stuff YOU don't want because they're not really aiming that big display at the guy who has it all, except what came out recently.  It's for kids bouncing off the walls about a DVD.  To me they're kind of separate issues.

Not having something new on the shelves sucks for us a lot...  Probably more than the casual sales though (thus why Anakin/Obi-Wan keep reshipping even though we don't want them to).

TRU's probably going to put out as much as they can get between now and then, but if they're not getting a lot, they've still gotta put out something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 6, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I don't know exactly how, but I think the lack of product on the shelves is tied directly to the economic downturn that started in 2008.  Up until that point, I used to be able to find 30-50 of any figure I wanted between 2 Walmarts, 2 Targets and a TRU.  Now?  Lucky if I see 5.  I have turned basically to Entertainment Earth for figures.  This situation is the worst I have ever seen since Star Wars came back in 1995.  And don't even get me started on Marvel Universe.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 6, 2011, 07:05 PM »
I don't know exactly how, but I think the lack of product on the shelves is tied directly to the economic downturn that started in 2008. 

I think the recession had something to do with it. A lot of people were affected (whether it be with unemployment or pay cuts), so that means less disposable income. Toys most likely became the lowest priority for many people, both parents and collectors. I believe the recession, combined with decreasing interest, poor distribution, and other factors created a perfect storm (of suck) that is still going on today.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 7, 2011, 12:54 PM »
So today was restock day for TRU. The closest one did not get a single new SW item in of any kind. CARS 4 way display still loitering in front of the Clone Wars area. Complete waste of time.

Store #2 had the 4 way TCW display up underneath their signage but did not appear to have any new figures at first glance. When I looked closer though, sure enough I spotted a Kit Fisto in Snow Gear. And then I started looking closer and found a Rex with jetpack, and then a Stealth Ops Clone Trooper. Those figures are HARD to spot amidst the sea of crud out there. I still see the old Fistos on the pegs, and plenty of Rexes, and the Stealth Ops dude was literally RIGHT next to Comm Blackout, so good luck spotting that one. (I had to look for the numbering to confirm)

So that is awesome, but sort of curious because they had 2 each of the above figures but no Seripas or Saesee Tiin at all. I can only surmise someone beat me to them in the 30 minutes before I could get there driving across town in a fierce rainstorm.

New trucks due again Friday I think, so maybe better luck then.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 8, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Found the clone canon today at TRU.  That thing is massively underscaled and not worth $30 to me.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 8, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Found the clone canon today at TRU.  That thing is massively underscaled and not worth $30 to me.

I forgot about that one coming...

I did find a new floor shipper at TRU up by the new massive Star Wars display - I grabbed Seripas (w00t!), Shirtless Savage, and Saesse.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 9, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Our TRU restocked with another craptacular repack wave of TCW figures that came out last YEAR.  >:(

Because we all really still need that Flamethrower Clone and Jungle ARF Trooper.  ::)

Oh, they also got a fresh box of Rapid Strike REPACKS. Thank God, it's not like I could go out and find that Naboo skiff everywhere for the past eight months.

We've still NEVER gotten the mini Y-Wing here. Never.

The frustration mounts...

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 9, 2011, 03:15 PM »
In Costco today and found a whole pallet of RC Hailfire droids for $19.99.  With these and the old battlepacks, Costco has a whole lot of poor selling Clone Wars product!  I was kinda surprised that they did not have the Attack Shuttle.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 9, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Our TRU restocked with another craptacular repack wave of TCW figures that came out last YEAR.  >:(

Because we all really still need that Flamethrower Clone and Jungle ARF Trooper.  ::)

Oh, they also got a fresh box of Rapid Strike REPACKS. Thank God, it's not like I could go out and find that Naboo skiff everywhere for the past eight months.

We've still NEVER gotten the mini Y-Wing here. Never.

The frustration mounts...

I feel your pain. The only thing that keeps me looking is I know other people are having just as little luck.

I'll race you to the y-wing.

Offline Jacobdlt1

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 9, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Hey everyone, Just letting you all know but at my local toys r us they restocked FINALLY!! and they had a tower looking thing with the new wave and alot of unpunched vintage collection. I picked up Seripas, savage, and stealth and others but just wanted to let people know that to check their local toys r us because they should get some like that soon. HURRY!! IF U WANT THE BEST ONES.!!

Offline jedi_shadow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 9, 2011, 09:25 PM »
My tru finally had the shipper in the display area.  I got Seripas.