Author Topic: How Much is Too Much?  (Read 55316 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: How Much is Too Much?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 05:38 PM »
I find it takes a little longer to open up figures these days as well, as they really seem to have them tied in through rubber bands, the actual plastic packaging and so on.  Especially with the packaging since the ROTS days, I often wonder how easily a kid can just "rip into" the packaging like we could as kids.  With the way packaging is these days, it would seem a lot more difficult.

I thought about hitting our local Big Lots this weekend to check on the Indy stuff as well.  I have one of everything from the basic line, but it would be tempting to pick up more of some of the later stuff at $4 each.  Our WM is all but sold out of Indy at this point (maybe a couple Mutt figures), they seemed to go quick at $1.

Offline Satria Libra

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 11:54 PM »
I want to collect every starwars toys collectibles. But my wallet is restricting me to do it.

So, i collect only clone guys and jedis

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01 AM »
These days, you need a warehouse to collect every SW collectable.  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 10:44 AM »
I read that part of Mark Hamil's contract stated that he got one of each item that bears his likeness.  He has a warehouse for just stuff with his face on it.  I guess his son manages the continued influx of items.  Probably not what he had in mind when his agent added that clause.  But i can't even begin to imagine how much space you'd need for one of each star wars item.

:o
I am not the Stig

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Well...he probably didn't get much from the early POTF2 Luke figures.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:06 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Satria Libra

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 11:39 PM »
These days, you need a warehouse to collect every SW collectable.  :P

A real big one, my master.

Maybe bigger than Millennium Falcon's loading dock. ::)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Ok, my last post go waaay too winded, so I'm going to try to summarize my thoughts better.  Basically, we've been hearing a lot about how collector interest is fading - and it seems we've even seen it on our forums here.  A number of long time collectors are either calling it quits, selling stuff off, or just thinking about shifting focus at this point.  There are a number of factors that we've discussed here before that might contribute to this, but what I was wondering is if there is a certain line make-up for the Legacy collection (or comparable line) that would help to fix this?  Is there too much stuff, is it the pace of releases, or maybe it has just been too long of a time "in the game" with the Hasbro stuff for many people.

Personally, it seems to me that the quality of figures/etc. lately is at some of Hasbro's best work.  The figures overall this year have been great, and the upcoming waves look to continue that.  The back end pile up we're getting again this year with figure releases and exclusives doesn't help people any, but if this line had been spread out over the year it would be better.  Obviously, with the CW success, the animated stuff isn't going anywhere (and some of it is pretty cool) - so what would be a good make-up for the Legacy line.  Do you think kids have much interest in this line - or is it turning into a collector line?

I got too detailed before with this, but what do you think would be a good make-up of the Legacy line?  I think the POTJ days (with around 40 figures per year) seemed like an easier time to be a collector.  Maybe 40-50 figures per year (which I suppose is close to the current pace) would be a good number.  The "starfighter" vehicle line, although very light on OT offerings, seems to be doing pretty well (although a few less Jedi repaints is probably welcome).  We've yet to see what the "figure with vehicle" and "deluxe vehicle" assortments can offer, but I'd like to see some OT (or even PT) stuff explored here too alongside CW (although the CW stuff is pretty much PT stuff too).  I like having one "BMF" vehicle per year, maybe alternating between an OT re-do and a CW/PT vehicle each year (Turbo Tank this year, maybe a new Slave 1 or AT-AT next year, etc.)  It seems like the opportunity to get new OT beasts/vehicles is going the exclusive route from here on out - so I guess that is better than not getting them at all.  Maybe give each of the "big 3" one vehicle and/or beast each year, alongside a two pack assortment and anything else someone can think of.  Again, spreading these out would help some too.  I'll end here with the risk of getting any longer, but do you think there is a better line make-up that would help keep collectors interested.  The product seems to be of great quality, but apparently fewer people are buying it.  Price has something to do with it, but many are leaving for lines that cost the same or more (Joes hit $8+ in some locations now).  I also think the whole "three lines" at retail is an issue too, no matter what the pegs might say.  Perhaps better choices for "Legends" an incorporating them into the basic line (if/when the build a droid part wasn't an issue) would be an answer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:33 PM by Brian »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 05:45 PM »
I could go on and on, but for me it points to two words: Less Expensive.

I don't really care to hear Hasbro's argument about why the stuff is more expensive now. If we look at the past 30+ years of collecting SW, price has never shot up this rapidly as it has in the past few years.

They tried this with Episode I and failed miserably.

Hasbro is doing this with other lines too though, not just SW. Marvel is one of the worst now. Used to be you could get a Marvel Legends figure for $8-9 now they're over $12.

Personally I don't need to have a build a droid part in every figure in every wave. There are many droids I simply do not want. Some of the repaints are ridiculously obscure. I'd rather see more carded figures instead and at least $1 less per figure.

Three lines is too much.

I'd like to see one wave per month alternating the two major lines. One month it's Animated, the next it's realistic, and so on. Then maybe every three months a vehicle for each line. And every six months alternating, one BIG vehicle. Maybe March is Realistic then September is Animated. That schedule would work well for Toy Fair and SDCC!

One big thing that bothers me is Hasbro's excuse that they don't have control over the manufacturer. Aren't THEY the frickin' manufacturer? So the plant is in China... If that plant keeps f'in up the figures (Hoth Rebel Soldier among a plethora of other mistakes-wrong ligthsabers for example) then get a different plant. How about bringing those jobs back to the U.S.? I'm failing to see how that isn't an option anymore. No shipping form overseas, quicker shipping time in general, more homegrown jobs to help our own economy (sorry to those not in the U.S., I realize part of this post is bias, but it is what it is). 

Anyway, I barely collect anything from the animated line, so my collecting has go down by default. Though, I have had it planned and acted on for the last few years to cut my budget as well. Just not enough "new" stuff. To many repaints and then for much more money....Imperial ARC-170. (Really Hasbro? $70, really?)

I'd buy more if it was less expensive, readily available (less exclusives please), and new - not reissued or redecoed stuff.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 06:12 PM »

Beautiful post, Sal! Wonderful ideas. I hope Hasbro's reading this!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 06:17 PM »
These days, you need a warehouse to collect every SW collectable.  :P

Or at least a storage unit or a garage.  :P

I think we've become victims of Hasbro's success with the Star Wars line.  Because it's just kept growing and growing and growing.  Hasbro tried coming out of the gate really strong in the Episode I days and totally overestimated collector and fan interest.  And we wound up with the worst pegwarming ever in the history of the modern line.  Hasbro reevaluated and got back to a smaller line that focused on quality with POTJ.  And the line has grown since then as more people got into collecting during the span the prequel movie toy lines.  Army building became a phenomenon.

I think we're seeing how much some individuals can bear now.  Even with a bigger house now, I've got to store a good deal of my collection in my garage and storage space in my house while I get my collection room fully set up.  At some point we just run out of space.  And when finances factor in too?  People have to make tough decisions then.  And if someone sides with providing with a family over collecting, I've gotta say that I would side with providing for a family, too.  It's just a no-brainer to me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 06:22 PM »
I could go on and on, but for me it points to two words: Less Expensive.

One big thing that bothers me is Hasbro's excuse that they don't have control over the manufacturer. Aren't THEY the frickin' manufacturer? So the plant is in China... If that plant keeps f'in up the figures (Hoth Rebel Soldier among a plethora of other mistakes-wrong ligthsabers for example) then get a different plant. How about bringing those jobs back to the U.S.?

These two notions are completely contradictory.  Nothing would raise prices more than bringing the manufacturing back to the states.  I'd be willing to pay a little more to see it happen (no idea what the actual cost would be)... but it isn't going to happen.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I don't think they are completely contradictory. Considering the recession and the lack of jobs, some of which in the manufacturing sector, I think a toy maker would do well to set up shop again here in the states.  Some people are starving for work. I'm not saying we could pay them Chinese wages, of course U.S. wages would be more, but they don't need to be so freakin' high either. Again, the economy can dictate what starting wages can be. Yes, I know unions would want to get involved. So this is where that system needs to either change or realize that they (unions) can't ask for everything under the sun and expect the business to bow to their every wish. Businesses have closed up shop or moved to other nations because of this kind of thing. How about the old business addage "an honest day's work for an honest day's pay." If you ask me, there's too much pay for not enough work much of the time. We're seeing now that not just Americans, but the world is learning how to do with less. But as it affects Americans, I think there would be plenty of people who would want those factory jobs, even at less pay and maybe even if there wasn't a strong union presence.

I understand the Unions help employees, however, they've also helped in bringing down the auto industry. Why the hell is a factory line worker getting paid $20+ an hour? And the ridiculous atrocities committed by some employees, knowing full well they are protected by the union is not just absurd, but in my opinion criminal. I can give a clear instance if so desired to be expressed. This isn't even limited to factory unions either, but I'll go way off topic if I tread down that path.

The savings from not having to shop overseas, plus customs, plus direct control over your product, plus not having to deal with exporting raw materials to then only import refined products from those very same raw materials, plus better shipping time and planning can greatly help to offset the additional wages of homegrown workers. Besides, the more we can take back from the Chinese the better. They've got the U.S. by the proverbial nutsack. Bringing jobs back can knock the Chinese back down a few pegs. Maybe that would teach them to "play nice" as well.

How many times in just the last year have we heard about lead in this toy or another, coming out of China. What about that milk scare not to long ago that affected many of their own people yet the government of China let it happen? It's obvious they don't care so much about human rights. Do we really want to by products from those countries? I hope you don't, but also realize we aren't in much of a position to do anything about it .... except for not buy this stuff. And that is a hard prospect to follow for too many a collector.

If the local, state and federal govt.'s would give tax breaks to those companies retaining jobs in the U.S. or bringing jobs BACK to the U.S., then there is another potential for saving money as well as more jobs here, instead of places like China.

I don't think the two notions are mutually exclusive, no.

Sorry, I know that post seemed political. I assure you that was not the intention, I was just trying to speak my mind freely on how I feel about this all. Oh and Rob, I guess I'm glad to see you'd be willing to pay more if it meant jobs came back here. I just hope that wouldn't be the case.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 02:45 PM »
There is no way bringing production back to the US would lower prices of the end product.  American labor costs are simply too high to compensate for whatever minimal decrease there would be in shipping costs (Think about how many action figures would fit inside a single shipping container; roughly the size of Tractor Trailer box (39+ feet long, 7+ feet wide, 7+ feet tall))  Assuming a 1 ft sqr box holds 12 figures, that's 22,932 figures per container.  My point is you can ship a lot of the figures together pretty cheaply (shore to shore in under a week).  One of the largest costs related to production is labor (think about the number of paint applications, the number of pieces an unassembled, superarticulated figure is, plus the complex way inwhich the figures are posed and then rubberbanded in place.  Make no mistake labor represents a significant portion of the cost, and Chinese labor is sufficiently cheap to make up for the added shipping.
I am not the Stig

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Yep, the people making the toys we all buy are getting paid peanuts to do it.  That's why they're made there.  Recession or not, you'd have to find Americans willing to work for a few dollars a day (or worse) before it would become cost effective to produce them domestically.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:45 PM by Rob »

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 04:02 PM »
Per the IMF China has a nominal per capita income of $3,315, the United States had a per capita income of $46,859.
I am not the Stig