Author Topic: JediJman's Death Star  (Read 12172 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
JediJman's Death Star
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:00 AM »
Below are a few pics of my Death Star WIP that I wanted to share.   The blue light in the background (looks like a lava light) has little streaks of "lightning" that reminded me of the DS core in ROTJ.  You can see it a little better in that last pic.  I've still got some work to do filling in the DS Playsets in the rear and an open space to the left of the shuttle (used to have the POTF Falcon there, but I upgraded to the BMF and had to move it up to the top of the platform).

Let me know what you think!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Re: JediJman's Death Star
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:04 AM »

From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:02 PM »
Impressive!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37 AM »
Ooooh No...This is just like the Movie!  ;D  Awesome!

How long took you to collect that massive Collection!?  :o ... I meant just the imperials that you posted.

Congrats
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:40 AM by Theta 288 »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:54 AM »

How long took you to collect that massive Collection!?  :o ... I meant just the imperials that you posted.

Congrats

Thanks guys!  Its mostly made up of TAC figures which I managed to pick up at $2.50 a piece, so didn't take too long to acquire.  The vintage playsets took a lot longer - I had the idea for this years ago.  Once I got those, I made the custom base with hundreds of peg holes for figures.  THAT took a solid weekend to complete.  I'm really liking how it turned out though - hopefully I'll have it finished off soon!

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07 AM »

Congrats

Thanks guys!  Its mostly made up of TAC figures which I managed to pick up at $2.50 a piece, so didn't take too long to acquire.  The vintage playsets took a lot longer - I had the idea for this years ago.  Once I got those, I made the custom base with hundreds of peg holes for figures.  THAT took a solid weekend to complete.  I'm really liking how it turned out though - hopefully I'll have it finished off soon!

Lucky... lucky man!  2.50 per figure TAC is what I'm looking for as well  :)

Exelent job with the base... :) 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Looking cool. How about a wide shot?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:47 AM »
I'll try to get a wider shot with the next round.  This display is surrounded by other displays on all 4 walls, so I don't have a lot of space to take a shot from.   :-\

Here's a few earlier shots for those asking about the base:

Mid-construction.  I drilled holes into a board to fit Ulteramma pegs, added a few coats of glossy spray paint, then cut the boarders from a few old poster frames to give the edges a finished look.

This is an earlier layout with wider view before I decided to add the shuttle.  I figured just placing figs in a "hanger" with various activities would look messy.

This is the shuttle layout with old Falcon and attempt to include the POTF2 DS playset.  You can't see it very well here, but that playset (around the corner to the right) is a lot of space without much use.  You can also catch my 12" Fett taking a nap in the background for some reason.   ???

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Thats a Heck of work in that shelve  :) nice trick in  fitting the U pegs

I would probably go just for the stands, thats too hard for me  :P

That Boba got drunk?  :D

Have you seen the 11"-13" etc stands? http://www.theearthtoymall.com/dollstands.html probably a good solution for drunk dolls  ;)

BTW: I'm so impressed by your massive collection  :) http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17415.0  :o

I only can get few at $3.50 or $5.50, I woulnd't get no where like that, I wish I would be that lucky to get that lot at $2 plus  :'( 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:51 AM by Theta 288 »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  We had figures mysteriously marked down to $2.50 at retail at a local retailer for months while TAC DS Troopers and Stormtroopers were shipping, so that was a pretty nice solution to stocking up.  You can find pretty good army builder details in the classifieds on here or on Ebay.  I just paid $20 for 5 VTSC Stormtroopers shipped from someone, so that was just $4 each. 

I do have "doll" stands for some of my 12", but not many.  They are so tightly packed that I rarely have trouble with them falling down.  I think Fett was napping that day because I was reworking part of my 12" display at the same time.   ;)

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  We had figures mysteriously marked down to $2.50 at retail at a local retailer for months while TAC DS Troopers and Stormtroopers were shipping, so that was a pretty nice solution to stocking up.  You can find pretty good army builder details in the classifieds on here or on Ebay.  I just paid $20 for 5 VTSC Stormtroopers shipped from someone, so that was just $4 each. 

I do have "doll" stands for some of my 12", but not many.  They are so tightly packed that I rarely have trouble with them falling down.  I think Fett was napping that day because I was reworking part of my 12" display at the same time.   ;)

Ooooh thats how its done!  ;D... you wait till Target etc has them on clearance then bought them in mass hehe.

Soundwave stated something about the same price, but never said or will where he gets hem... I saw thats strange clearance price last yrs, but just after I had spended all my savings at regular or almost half price, so I didn't had a chance to buy them for $2.50 each, it was my 1st time as a toy hunter & was learning from no one about it... I hope I can have more than a thousand dollars for next yr if it ever happen again, too bad some of the TAC, old SAGA etc wouldn't never come back again...Ebay is a good source for army build but not that much  :)

Thanks for your Reply Master  :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:01 PM »
Never say never - you may find what you want in the Legends line eventually.  Best bet is to just keep watching for sale forums and Ebay for deals though I think.

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Never say never - you may find what you want in the Legends line eventually.  Best bet is to just keep watching for sale forums and Ebay for deals though I think.

Thanks I will...and I maight show you the result thanx to you   :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 01:43 AM »
Just a slight update to show the back side of the DS.  I need to get to work populating this!  Not really sure I like the orange trash compactor look.  Those might get repainted if I ever get around to it.

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 12:46 AM »
How many vintage DS playsets do you have?