Author Topic: Hasbro's "A Rated" Star Wars Characters  (Read 7984 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Hasbro's "A Rated" Star Wars Characters
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:58 AM »
I don't know how many of you read Star Wars Insider anymore, but the last issue (107) had a feature about the process of making a Star Wars figure.  Within the article, Hasbro discusses how it makes up its waves, and mentions that a typical wave of eight figures might include up to three "A-rated" characters (which are produced in greater numbers).  They go on to say that there are only 12 A-rated characters in the entire Saga (from Hasbro's viewpoint), and mention some that are or are not included on that list.  It also appears to depend on which version of the character it is.  For example, both Jedi Luke Skywalker and X-Wing Pilot Luke Skywalker are considered "As", while farmboy Luke is not.  Others they mentioned as A's are Jango and Boba Fett, and R2-D2.  Some figures that are not considered A's are Han Solo (surprising, but apparently due to lack of kid interest), C-3PO, and Princess Leia.  Anyways, I just thought it was interesting, and was wondering which other characters you think make up the list of 12.  I would think figures like Anakin and Obi-Wan are certainly included (at least their ROTS versions), as well as Vader and probably some sort of clonetrooper.  Which characters do you think make their cut?

1. Jedi Luke Skywalker
2. X-Wing Luke Skywalker
3. Jango Fett
4. Boba Fett
5. R2-D2
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. ?
12. ?

Hasbro's A-list seems to really be made up of figures that have kid appeal, and that they can sell year round (they specifically mention the upcoming Jedi Luke being one that can be continually packed in throughout the year).  Others that could maybe make the cut, going by this criteria, could possibly be Darth Maul, General Grievous, Yoda, Chewie?, and as mentioned Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Vader.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:55 AM by Brian »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro's "A Rated" Star Wars Characters
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Vader is the one that leaps to mind immediately. I would agree that a generic clone trooper would make that list as well. As for the others, if Han doesn't make the list, then I'm stumped. Jedi Luke though? Then how come they haven't made a good one yet?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Vader is a no-brainer. That leaves six more. I'd say the list looks something like this:

-Anakin Skywalker (ROTS)
-Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
-Yoda
-General Grievous
-Clone Trooper
-Stormtrooper
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Vader is a no-brainer. That leaves six more. I'd say the list looks something like this:

-Anakin Skywalker (ROTS)
-Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
-Yoda
-General Grievous
-Clone Trooper
-Stormtrooper

I think that's probably close to the mark.  Vader has got to be on there - that's the first one I thought of too.  Anakin and Obi-Wan seem right, I'd say Stormtrooper as well.  For the remaining three, I'd say these:

- R2-D2 (always a kid favorite)
- Clone Trooper AOTC
- Clone Trooper ROTS
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:22 PM »
I wonder if the repaints of the AOTC and ROTS clones get lumped in with the plain clones for the purposes of this ranking.  I'm just thinking that to a kid, they might not care all that much if the clone has yellow stripes on his arms, he's still a cool clone.

I think the list that's been compiled is pretty much exactly what I'd expect as A class characters.  Except Han that is, he wears a reasonably similar outfit through out the whole OT (I know there are differences, but to a kid Cantina Han would look fine at the Ewok Celebration...), so I figure he'd be popular, also since he was the character my brothers wanted to be, not Luke.
I am not the Stig

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:24 PM »
1. Jedi Luke Skywalker
2. X-Wing Luke Skywalker (though I don't agree with this one at all)
3. Jango Fett (Ditto here)
4. Boba Fett
5. R2-D2
6. Obi-wan Kenobi (more specifically ROTS)
7. Anakin Skywalker (more specifically ROTS)
8. Clone Trooper (ROTS)
9. Clone Trooper (AOTC)
10. Stormtrooper
11. Yoda
12. ICMG....no seriously. No? Okay then, Chewbacca of maybe the Emperor. I really can't believe Han isn't in this category.

Hasbro's A-list seems to really be made up of figures that have kid appeal, and that they can sell year round (they specifically mention the upcoming Jedi Luke being one that can be continually packed in throughout the year).  Others that could maybe make the cut, going by this criteria, could possibly be Darth Maul, General Grievous, Yoda, Chewie?, and as mentioned Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Vader.
[/quote]
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:23 AM »
I was surprised that Han wasn't included on the list as well, but maybe the younger generation doesn't care as much about the OT characters at this point (at least, if they don't have SW fans for parents).  I figure the overall list probably skews more towards prequel characters, since that is what we see most often in the Legends assortments and repacks aplenty.  I'm actually sort of surprised two Lukes make the list here, and that certain ones are preferred over the others.  I think in the vintage days, the "farmboy" Luke is the one you wanted the most - maybe until Jedi came out anyways.

Its funny, as often as we used to make fun of the Commtech Han Solo getting repackaged, I think that - while a very good figure - that ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan has probably come close to passing that one by.  That figure is pretty much always on the pegs, year round.  Not that I mind though.  To me, that is an example of the perfect type of figure to keep out there for kids and/or new collectors.  The "ultimate" version of a main character - those are the types I'd like to see get repackaged.  Same with the Anakin Skywalker Evolutions figures, VOTC Han/Luke/Leia/Chewie, the super articulated troops, etc.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 02:01 AM »
To be honest my son and his cousins do not seem that excited about Han either.  They all range from 3-8 years old.  They tend to recognize more characters from the prequels like Anakin, young Kenobi, clonetroopers, Grievous, Jango, Padme, Yoda w/ lightsaber, Jedi Knights, Ahsoka, Darth Maul, etc.  Of course they know Vader, Luke, and Boba Fett, but seem to be into those characters more so.  Of course it could be from the Clone Wars show and see more of those characters. 

Anyway I would maybe add Maul and Chewbacca to the A list. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I was just listening to a collector-focused ForceCast with Derryl DePriest, and he was asked which are the "12", and listed the following:

Darth Vader
R2-D2
Yoda
Clonetroopers
Stormtroopers
Jango/Boba Fett (same slot)
Luke Skywalker (anything but Farmboy)
Qui Gon Jinn
Darth Maul
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Anakin Skywalker

There seems to be one missing (he listed off the top of his head), unless you count both the Fetts seperately (he said they occupy the same "slot").  Sort of surprised to see Qui Gon on there, and not someone like Han/Chewie.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2009, 02:28 PM »
Yeah Qui Gon does seem an odd choice, especially since "A" characters are supposed to be the anchor characters within a wave and Qui Gon really hasn't appeared too often of late (he was in an evolution pack and is an exclusive with an Eopie later this year, but when else has he been shipping lately?)
I am not the Stig

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2009, 02:44 PM »
That last time I can think of was in the TAC EI Commemorative Tin Set.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Since he was talking off the top of his head, I bet he got Qui-Gon wrong.  All the others we see 3-4 times as often as Qui-Gon, who doesn't even come out every second year.

I bet the real list drops Qui-Gon, and adds chewie & Han.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2009, 03:16 PM by Hobbie »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 2, 2009, 03:17 PM »
They specifically talked about QGJ a long time and he mentioned how "you might be surprised to know QGJ is on the A List of figures, blah blah blah", so I don't think he got QGJ wrong actually.

I'm shocked myself since the Evo version was really the first new one in ages, but whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 2, 2009, 03:22 PM »
If I recall it was in an issue of Star Wars Insider that I first heard of Hasbro's A, B, etc. logic to character selection and IIRC they said that Han and Chewie weren't A characters.
I am not the Stig

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #14 on: June 2, 2009, 03:49 PM »
My Guess based on the waves we see.....

1. Jedi Luke Skywalker
2. X-Wing Luke Skywalker
3. Jango Fett