Author Topic: Walmart Legacy Collection AT-ST  (Read 40949 times)

Offline BIG MAC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • JEDICON WV
Re: Walmart Legacy Collection AT-ST
« Reply #105 on: November 9, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Looks to me like the best $39.99 item Hasbro has ever made.  I'm all about a small army of these.

Ok guys ,seen these at a Wal*Mart in the area and they retail for $43.97! They were on an endcap in the craft department. Now knowing the price point and the fact I have the POTF2 and the POTJ versions make this an easy pass for me.
"Going to CHEERS to find my name"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 9, 2009, 03:47 PM »
I sold four of my old AT-STs over the past few months in favor of this one myself and left two more for my son to tear up,... and am very pleased that I did. 

Have two of the new one so far, and have intentions to get at least two more.  Once opened, this thing is incredible.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #107 on: November 9, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I sold four of my old AT-STs over the past few months in favor of this one myself and left two more for my son to tear up,... and am very pleased that I did. 

Have two of the new one so far, and have intentions to get at least two more.  Once opened, this thing is incredible.

I did the same thing too, sold off all of my old ones when the prices were still good to put towards this one. I have not even opened either of the two I bought yet and can tell that there is no comparison. The old one is just so dated and off model.

I also sold my OTC Falcon loose for $90 before the BMF came out. In the words of the great white bearded one Kenny you got to know when to hold and know when to fold them.

I have three different Snowspeeders getting ready to fly off in the eBay sunset once I see the official confirmation of the new version.....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2009, 09:15 AM »
One of my WM's has plenty of both this and the Dewback. If worse comes to worse, I should be able to hook people up as opposed to having to go to e-bay.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2009, 09:58 AM »
Thanks man! I have the Dewback on the way from walmart.com, but I'll let you know if the AT-ST situation becomes a disaster!  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2009, 01:35 PM »
I got mine over the weekend. There simply is no comparing this version of the vehicle to the older mold. There just isn't.

The amount of articulation they put into the legs alone is amazing.

The two seat cockpit, while still a bit too small is still a HUGE improvement over the previous release.

Well worth the $44 IMHO.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2009, 02:23 PM »
NOBODY should be missing out on the Dewback at this point.  Wal-Mart.com has them available site-to-store, and that's just perfect.  It's a shame the AT-ST hasn't shown there yet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2009, 02:25 PM »
I got mine over the weekend. There simply is no comparing this version of the vehicle to the older mold. There just isn't.

The amount of articulation they put into the legs alone is amazing.

The two seat cockpit, while still a bit too small is still a HUGE improvement over the previous release.

Well worth the $44 IMHO.

You nailed it in your review. I just opened one of my two and the only other gripe I would add is missing weathering deco. It's an easy fix but this is worth the money, I do not expect these to last long so grab them while you can.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2009, 02:21 AM »
Some thoughts now that I had this out of the box and played with posed it for a while.

First...

-Articulation...  It's articulated out the whazzoo, and the joints are all very stiff/sturdy.  It's funny how poseable it is, because it actually probably goes beyond what the real thing would be capable of. :)  It certainly exceeds the studio props which needed support, actually.  That's kind of neat in and of itself.

-Sculpt...  I feel the sculpting is superb.  The immediate mistakes I noticed are small.  The head's not quite as tall as it should be, but not horribly off either.  It's very minimal, and really only would be noticeable to someone so fixated on the props I think.  The AT-TE and other vehicles feature similar flaws, and this is pretty minor.  I disagreed with Anton on the legs...  I really felt the details here matched the props nicely, as did the detail all around.  The fact they got the booted neck joint really had me giddy.  I'm ecstatic to see that kind of thing.  The inner-rings for the cheek turrets was a nice nod, and they got the feet and weapon details really right.  They also tried getting cockpit details as nice as possible, to a point, and that's appreciated.

Another detail that's "off" is the "railing" around the top of the head separates into 3 pieces when it's really one solid rail all around on the prop.  It's a little thing I noticed and am wondering if I can fix it on one easily enough (I believe I can).

-Paint aps...  The only negative I can really say on this is the paint sucks.  It's nowhere near realistic and the lacking paint aps do no justice to the finer details.  The gun pods on both cheeks and the chin could stand a darker shade of grey.  Gun barrels could use a slight dose of black misting to simulate burns.  The turret head lacks any of the insignia the Endor walkers were seen with, and there's no "wash" to speak of save for very faint darker grey shades here and there.  The rear of the cockpit should also feature a bit of a darker grey paintjob.  Mud splatter on the feet would've been appropriate too I believe.

To some, and myself to an extent, the genericness of it is a nice pallet to work with...  but to the usual collector who doesn't want to spiff it up, the paint's a big disappointment I'm sure and I agree.  It's very generic though and that has its merits.

-Stickers...  Not a fan of stickers at this point and I was disappointed to see some details were stickers inside rather than sculpted in (which wouldn't have cost anything, so it's a tad odd). 

-Cockpit Interior...  Some "fudging" was done on the interior because ultimately the lifesize prop interior is/was cramped and confined like a real tank would be.  The cockpit is a good proper size, but because of figure limitations it's sculpted so a figure sits straight-legged rather than in a proper seated position.  THis means liberties get taken and so you cannot fit a Wookie and 2 Ewoks inside obviously.  Part of me almost wishes they'd not given us a figure, and instead designed the cockpit interior more realistically to accomodate a future AT-ST Driver that has bendable knees.  This would've been more realistic, but at this stage of the game I really don't mind the liberties taken to make this accomodate more figures.  It's still a flaw I noticed though early on before I had it.

My thoughts overall though are that it's simply fantastic.  THis may be my favorite vehicle ever.  It's a little difficult to balance it, but it does balance well and it's sturdier than I imagined it would be even.  The thing is big too.  In "walking" mode it looks just menacingly large...  Standing still "at ease" like in the movie's it's still big.  I love it and picked up 3 so far.  I'd like to dirty up one proper, and fix some of the aesthetic things on the outside (and a few on the inside) to make a more movie-accurate item.  I'm excited at the prospect actually, as this is a really nicely made item overall and there's not a whole lot beyond a great paintjob that it needs to look like a movie prop.  That's impressive from a toy company I think!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Thanks for the review, Jesse! Man, I want this thing so bad...it's one of my top three resculpted vehicles that I've wanted since around the time the line relaunched. The Millennium Falcon I've obviously gotten, and now (once I actually find the AT-ST) I've got my fingers crossed for a better AT-AT.

But the question remains...when is Walmart.com going to get this thing?!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Yeah, great review Jesse.  I really hope I'm able to get at least one of these as well.  They haven't shown up locally yet, so I'm sort of hoping for WM.com to come through as well.  I'm really enjoying the OT vehicle re-dos.  The vintage molds are nice, and really spiffy for the time, but when we do see these updates you really see what can be done now.  I'm hoping for a re-done AT-AT in the future as well.  I know it'll never be "to scale", but looking at the old one, I'll bet they could spiff it up a bit.  Can't wait for the new Snowspeeder next year as well (and hopefully/maybe Slave 1).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2009, 12:44 PM »
I found 24 of these over the last 2 days at 2 different Walmarts.  I picked 2 up.

Jesse James already said about all there is to say about this thing, it's phenomenal.

That said, I still think $43 is a little bit steep for this thing.  So I got 2 instead of 3, but I'll sleep okay at night with that.

Buy it, you'll absolutely love this one.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2009, 02:44 PM »
Great review.  I agree that this is now one of my favorite SW vehicles and Hasbro did a fantastic job with it.  Really, it is one of the recent Star Wars vehicles that I'm the most pleased with.  I've long collected the realistic military vehicle collectables which usually feature stellar amounts of detail and function compared to the standard Star Wars item.  In my opinion, the new AT-ST is one of the few Hasbro Star Wars vehicles that approaches those in terms of detail, accuracy, scale, and playability.  The new TIE Interceptor also does the same, along with a few of the existing vehicles, but not many overall.  Now if Hasbro can just keep this trend up ;) 
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2009, 10:56 PM »
An interesting issue with the AT-ST's been brought up recently and I agree with it to an extent...  The issue is the ratcheting nature of the leg articulation, and how it "forces" (and I'm using that in quotes for a reason, bear with me) certain ways to pose the AT-ST so it's capable of standing and looking believable.

The ratcheting system is incredibly sturdy and if it's made of what I think it is, it's durable as well.  I see the issue people are having though that the space between ratchets is sometimes how you want to pose it.

AT-ST's int he films have a couple of stances that seem "standard".  They're taller when walking for instance, than "at ease", and then there's a standing still stance between being "at ease" and walking where they're not in motion but they're at the ready for movement and are taller than the "at ease" pose.  This is probably their most likely stance for laying down fire for troopers when not in movement of course....  and then one could argue the Hasbro toy's ability to really heighten the AT-ST is a "real" thing that a hypothetically real one would have to gain height against targets or see over obstacles.

OK, so all that said, Hasbro's ratcheting system in this toy's design makes that stance in between "at ease" and "walking" heights difficult to achieve, but NOT impossible!  I have officially got it right now on both my opened walkers, and it's really added a bit of height, and realism to the walker.  If I could snap a photo of this quickly I would, and will when I can, to show what I'm saying.

Basically to acheive it though you must CAREFULLY pull the hip joint between ratchets.  It will hold the weight of the walker, but it's tricky getting it there.  This gives the AT-ST the more menacing height it deserves (and which most measurements for it come from, as it's the measurement and look of the lifesize immobile prop/set piece) I believe.

This is, as of right now, I believe my favorite piece in my collection.  I find so little wrong with it, and so much right...  Could some things be better?  Yes, namely the paint, but beyond that I find really no major flaw with this.  It's big, it's poseable, it's intimidating looking, it has lots of playability, it works for Clone Wars and Original Trilogy (kids don't know the difference and would probably love this for their Clones), it's got repaint options (I want the one specifically Chewbacca & Co. hijack, and a Hoth deco would be loved.  I'd even buy EU decoes gladly) if Hasbro wants, and it's got detailing out the whazzoo that the paintjob ( or lackthereof) does a disservice to...

If you haven't bought, you're missing out on maybe the single best vehicle Hasbro's made IMO.  You knock ANYTHING off the price and I think you have a bargain.  As the price stands, I think you have a "fair deal".

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Jesse (or anyone else who has this thing), can you hook us up with some pics?