Author Topic: General Vehicle Discussion Thread  (Read 29546 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
General Vehicle Discussion Thread
« on: April 9, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I know we have threads for the individual vehicles as well, so I hope this isn't redundant - but I didn't see a thread to just discuss the vehicles in general.  I put it in the CW section since that is where the majority of new releases seem to come from these days - but I'm thinking more of the Star Wars vehicles line as a whole.  Anyways, I was just rearranging the shelves recently, and taking a look at the vehicles - and realized that it seems like Hasbro has really been doing a pretty nice job with new vehicles lately.  I certainly don't have all of the releases, and I'm no expert on the scale of each individually - but looking at some recent vehicles (The BMF, V-Wing, V-19, Obi-Wan's Delta 2 in particular for me), it seems like the detailing is really taking a step up like we've seen with the basic figures in recent years as well.

I like that we're getting more sculpted details (and less stickers) in the cockpits, and it seems like they are adding in "features" that are actually pretty cool as well.  It is this reason that it has been more and more difficult for me to pass on PT/CW vehicles (like I had once planned), and why I really hope we do see more re-dos of the OT vehicles over the upcoming years as well.  I haven't picked up an AT-TE yet, but that seems (aside from the leg issue) to be pretty well received as well.  Anyways, it just seems like we've really seen a pretty nice step forward in quality for the majority of the "new" vehicles lately - and I hope that continues.  The sculpts are well done, and they are just "fun" as far as a toy goes as well.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: General Vehicle Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I used to be a faithful collector of most vehicles that Hasbro has released, and although the overall design and sculpting has continued to improve (apart from scale), it's the omission of the weathering and washes that have really curbed my support for this line. Something about the pristine look to them feels less like "Star Wars" and more like model kits that I used to put together as a kid. Sure, it's the ship on the box but it sure doesn't look like the ship on the box.

It's pretty safe to assume that most of us want as accurate a representation in our action figures to their on-screen counterparts as possible for the cost, I simply think the vehicle line should be handled in the same way.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2009, 11:12 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2009, 12:10 PM »
I used to be a faithful collector of most vehicles that Hasbro has released, and although the overall design and sculpting has continued to improve (apart from scale), it's the omission of the weathering and washes that have really curbed my support for this line. Something about the pristine look to them feels less like "Star Wars" and more like model kits that I used to put together as a kid. Sure, it's the ship on the box but it sure doesn't look like the ship on the box.

It's pretty safe to assume that most of us want as accurate a representation in our action figures to their on-screen counterparts as possible for the cost, I simply think the vehicle line should be handled in the same way.

That's a really good point, and something I forgot to mention as well.  I see it on something like the V-19 in particular, where its bright and shiny, and some weathering can always do vehicles some good.  I guess I don't notice it on something like the newer Falcon, but that might be something that is "cost cutting" in the starfighter assortment - as it seems to be happening everywhere (a little less for a little more $) in the SW lines.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:16 AM »
I'm pretty vehicled out. Last year, I made my first conscious decision to not buy one, the WM EX Gunship. The CW show related ships, like the Delta 2 fighters and the Magna Droid fighter followed suit. As I look to the future, I really look forward to rescaled OT ships like the At-St and won't blink in picking stuff like that up. I'll also be a sucker for X-Wing variants (Hasbro, take note) and Imperial fighter re-releases. When it come to PT stuff though, I'll weigh my decisions carefully. I've got enough Jedi Starfighters, gunships and ARC, but new items like the Turbo tank will be strong candidates for purchase.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:55 AM »
There was an interesting answer in the Q&A this week that said starting this fall the vehicle packaging will include dioramas similar to the packaging from the Indy line. That'll look pretty cool.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Yeah, I just read that this morning - kind of cool.  I only picked up one of the Indy vehicles (so far), but that packaging was pretty spiffy.  It will be interesting to see what they can do with the SW line.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:21 PM »
There was an interesting answer in the Q&A this week that said starting this fall the vehicle packaging will include dioramas similar to the packaging from the Indy line. That'll look pretty cool.

And well worth the price increases.  :P

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 05:07 PM »
I like the CW fighters that are coming out - the jedi fighters are great toys, and I'm totally pumped about the upcoming Y-Wing.  But I am completely dismayed that Hasbro is not releasing either BP or 2-pack tie-ins for the vehicles (Ahsoka/R7-A7 for her fighter, Shadow Squadron BP for the Y-WIng), or even a pack-in exclusive astromech for the Y-Wing.  At nearly $70, they could surely repaint one little droid for that.  Actually, their entire explicit disinterest in making more droids for all the droid-socket vehicles coming out (Including the ARC) is bizarre to me.  They expect people to put Goldie in all their ships? 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 05:21 PM »
They expect people to put Goldie in all their ships? 

I think they said to put in any other droid that's not R2 or Goldie from the animated line.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 06:56 PM »
I think they said to put in any other droid that's not R2 or Goldie from the animated line.

And there are tons of those available individually at retail right now, if you want to buy a 25 dollar Battle Pack or an entire wave of figures to get all the parts to build a figure.  No need at all to have an R4-P17 at retail at the very least to stick in the Obi-Wan Delta 7 Starfighter.  Just buy all four of those Legacy Collection figures that stores aren't stocking, build an R2 unit, and stick him in there!  Problem solved!  I mean, the kids who are supporting the line have tons of disposable income, right?  They can afford it! 

Thanks Hasbro!   ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:51 PM »
They expect people to put Goldie in all their ships? 

Considering the extensive details that went into the Clone Wars R2-D2, I am very surprised that Hasbro isn't pursuing more astromechs for Clone Wars.  R2 and Goldie are the exact same tool with different paintjobs.  But I guess if they made the green R5 unit that might have to be a new tool.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Considering the extensive details that went into the Clone Wars R2-D2, I am very surprised that Hasbro isn't pursuing more astromechs for Clone Wars.  R2 and Goldie are the exact same tool with different paintjobs.  But I guess if they made the green R5 unit that might have to be a new tool.

Actually their legs are different. Goldie's legs omit the holes for the rocket booster accessories that are included with R2.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Is the MagnaDroid fighter out yet? I haven't seen it.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 10:16 AM »
I've been keeping an eye out for the new Vulture droid, and haven't seen either that or the Magna droid fighter.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 10:31 AM »
I think that Hasbro's presentation at Toy Fair said those were scheduled for a June release, although that isn't always completely accurate.