Author Topic: General Vehicle Discussion Thread  (Read 29550 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: General Vehicle Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 5, 2010, 02:40 PM »
The only one I can think of that is close the remote/radio controlled Hailfire Droid that was reported a while back.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2010, 02:49 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 5, 2010, 02:51 PM »
I figured I'd post this here since it primarily ties into Clone Wars, but I'm wondering if we're going to see anything else from the "deluxe" vehicle line?  I don't think from any of the leaked information and/or DCPI numbers, that anything has been mentioned for this line outside of the already released Y-Wing Bomber and ARC repaint.  Do you think this line is a goner, or we just haven't heard anything quite yet?

Hasbro mentioned a Gunship in a Q&A session, so that could be in the assortment. Outside of the Republic Shuttle, there is nothing I'd really like to see in the assortment so I'd be happy to see it disappear. The price was just too high for what you were getting... I'd rather spend an extra $30 for a bigger and more enjoyable toy.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: February 5, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Do you think this line is a goner, or we just haven't heard anything quite yet?

Last time Hasbro mentioned the line in the Q&A, they didn't seem all that optimistic about the $70 vehicle line's future.  There were Twilight rumors and Slave I rumors for a while, but those seem to have dried up since the AT-AT was confirmed.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 5, 2010, 07:23 PM »
I could name half a dozen great candidates for this price point, including the Twilight, Separatist Super Tank, and the Republic Shuttle...there is no lack of ideas. The marketing weasels probably just don't think they can sell enough because of their spectacularly ill-conceived launching of the Shadow Arc.

I do think we'll see another Gunship repaint as well as a Y-Wing, with the red deco from the Point Rain arc.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 5, 2010, 08:30 PM »
I would love to see the Republic Attack Shuttle or the Twilight in this assortment, but I think McMetal is right - we'll definitely get a repaint of the "Crumb Bomber" Gunship we got this year.

I'm not so sure we'll get a repaint of the Y-Wing though - I wouldn't be surprised to just see the Y-Wing in updated packaging, just like what they do with the $20 vehicle range, past vehicles get re-released in the new packaging to bolster the assortments.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14 AM »
So, I'm guessing that since there was no news (or even a mention?) of the Deluxe Vehicle assortment at Toy Fair, it must be dead (or at least on hiatus).  I think we can all agree that the pricepoint and initial selection of the repaint ARC didn't help this line any, which is too bad because there probably was potential with some of the vehicles mentioned in this thread.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Well, the RC Hailfire Droid is pretty much the "big" CW Vehicle they wanted to focus on at TF.

I wouldn't say the "Deluxe Vehicle" line is dead, but it is taking a rest while they figure out where to go next (which ship, timing, retail/exclusive, etc).  They haven't ruled out more, but I think between the RC Hailfire and the ATAT (regular and exclusive "Vintage" versions), there isn't much more room at regular retail for something big... yet.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Well, the RC Hailfire Droid is pretty much the "big" CW Vehicle they wanted to focus on at TF.

I wouldn't say the "Deluxe Vehicle" line is dead, but it is taking a rest while they figure out where to go next (which ship, timing, retail/exclusive, etc).  They haven't ruled out more, but I think between the RC Hailfire and the ATAT (regular and exclusive "Vintage" versions), there isn't much more room at regular retail for something big... yet.

Ah yes, forgot about the Hailfire Droid, that does pretty much fit that "niche" for this year.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Well, as a diehard TCW loyalist, I think the RC Hailfire does not compare very favorably with the AT-AT. The AT-AT is a marvelous vehicle with tons of cool features and add-ins that fans have been clamoring for. The Hailfire? Not so much.

I do give the marketing weasels credit for finding a way to wring $$ out of the non-RC enthusiasts by scaling it for the 3/4 line and throwing in a clone trooper. I'd never whiff this otherwise.

But if that's the best we (TCW fans) are getting this year, that is a big fat screw IMO.

It's too bad the Mandos didn't have a giant sized vehicle in their arc otherwise Hasbro would be falling all over themselves to get that on the shelves.  ::)

TWILIGHT IN 2010!!!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Agreed.  A $60 Hailfire droid that rolls around just doesn't hit the mark. At least not for me.  I'd rather see a $60 item be something like a larger AT-AP, and I'd guess that would be much more popular.  Maybe that will happen later on down the road, as Hasbro might not want two big walkers on the market at the same time.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55 PM »
But this is a $60 remote control toy that fires missiles.

Are you guys forgetting that? So you're not just getting a toy, but a remote control one to boot, and on top of that you can shoot the missiles (remotely I think too, IIRC). PLUS you get a pack-in figure.

I think $60 is quite worth it and I'm very likely to get one.

Is it an AT-AT? No, but then there really isn't all that much in CW that compares to an AT-AT. Both the AT-TE and Turbo Tank have been done. So Hasbro found a way to make a mid to large vehicle in the Hailfire droid and with some very cool features.

I think you guys are being just a little too hard on Hasbro.

Arguably it was the OT's "turn" since it only has seen the release of the BMF, while PT/CW era has the AT-TE, Turbo tank and even the CW Y-wing.

We complain about Hasbro all the time, but I think this is one of those times that they did a good job of things.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I never got into RC toys, so that's why I don't care about it.  Plus, I don't feel like losing half the missiles the first time I play with it.

We'll see where this idea goes from here, but I doubt it's going to go much further than this first offering.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2010, 03:42 PM »
The AT-AT is, I'm sure, being marketed to the CW crowd too...  Like I've said in the past, a walker is a walker to kids even if it's not in the movie.  It's big, it's got lots of play features, and I'm sure kids will be asking for it to go with their Clones as much as adult collectors will want it.

The Hailfire Droid though gives the Seps something menacing, it rolls over Clones, and yes it does fire missles (3 at a time was what we were told).  Plus RC's a popular thing with kids in different lines and standing on its own.  They even made the battlepack to accompany it (anti-Hailfire Team) similar to the Clone Gunner 2-pack they did for the Turbo Tank.

I think the deal though is that both toys are intended to appeal to the Clone Wars market even though only one is very specifically targeted to just them.  That AT-AT has dual  appeal which is one of the big reasons I think it gets made in a year when OT stuff's scaled back.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Well, as a diehard TCW loyalist, I think the RC Hailfire does not compare very favorably with the AT-AT. The AT-AT is a marvelous vehicle with tons of cool features and add-ins that fans have been clamoring for. The Hailfire? Not so much.

I do give the marketing weasels credit for finding a way to wring $$ out of the non-RC enthusiasts by scaling it for the 3/4 line and throwing in a clone trooper. I'd never whiff this otherwise.

But if that's the best we (TCW fans) are getting this year, that is a big fat screw IMO.

It's too bad the Mandos didn't have a giant sized vehicle in their arc otherwise Hasbro would be falling all over themselves to get that on the shelves.  ::)

TWILIGHT IN 2010!!!

I don't think your comparison between the RC Hailfire and the AT-AT is fair. The Hailfire cannot be classified as a "large" vehicle just as the AT-AT cannot be seen as a "medium" vehicle. They are at very different price points and it can be argued that they are targeted to different audiences.

As a diehard Clone Wars fan, you shouldn't feel pressured to purchase this because of the Clone Trooper. If you are indeed a "diehard loyalist" you already have the figure. And if you really like the Clone Wars, you should be ecstatic that Hasbro has finally made a vehicle in the animated style.

As for TCW fans getting screwed, I think that's far from the truth. If anything, this year is better that the last two. Not only will kids (and adult fans) have the nifty Hailfire Droid, but the new AT-AT will work great with some Clones and Jedi. Hasbro even had CW items surrounding the AT-AT at one of the European shows, and an ARF trooper could be seen in the NYTF pics.

The Twilight is a vehicle that should not be made, or at least in the large vehicle assortment. First, the design is boring. It looks like a flying box. Second, the ship is barely in the TV show. When it is, it is not very memorable. The Twilight's only appearances in Season 2 were during the three episodes slotted for the first season.  If the Lego model could be used as any indication, the ship did not make a popular toy.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2010, 04:08 PM »
The Twilight's an interesting point about it NOT being in the show...  Season one it was quite important but Season two it really has been abandoned for one reason or another, so that is important to note too. 

Hasbro's trying (though it's difficult with the timing) to match the cartoon with their figure releases.  As you can tell they're generally a step behind the episode's releases, and thus mandalore figures aren't out yet but are coming.  I think the more the Twilight becomes removed from the series, the less likely the toy is to happen. 

Hasbro really tries to keep "up to date" with the series though, and what they're putting out, since the series is really a commercial for toys.  So I don't know, but I think the less you see something the less likely it is to happen.  The Turbo Tank I guess is/was to play a big part in the series and just either hasn't yet or was removed.  Very strange.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77