Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56966 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2003, 11:47 AM »
I doubt the Yankees would take him.  I heard Steinbrenner really wants to get Vladimir Guerrero.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2003, 10:18 PM »
I thought our still demoralized Sox fans out there (Jim, Mikey, etc.) may be excited to hear of the latest trade development currently in the works:

Curt Shilling to the Red Sox, for a bunch of scrubs...   8)  Scrubs being Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, minor league pitcher Jorge De La Rosa and outfielder Michael Goss.  Sounds like all that's left is Schilling's approval of the deal.  He may be getting a little long in the tooth, but his addition to the Sox staff would certainly make for one helluva 1-2-3 punch, alongside Martinez and Lowe.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 10:41 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2003, 07:27 AM »
Here I was all down drowning in my sorrows and Matt has to bring it up again.  Thanks bud :-*

Getting Schilling would be huge for the Sox.  If the Sox offer him a multi year deal, then I think he'll take it.  Terry Francona, the front runner for the manager's job, was his coach in Philly and Schilling loved playing for him.  He doesn't want to play in a home run park and Fenway is the second hardest park in the AL to hit a homer in.  And if he is the final piece of the puzzle to finally bringing a championship to Beantown, the fans - who live and die by the Sox (unlike certain fans of a recent South Florida Championship team) - would immortalize him immediately.  

I think the Brewers are possibly involved in this trade also.  The D'backs would send some of the Sox trade bait to the Brewers for Richie Sexson.  All clubs win.  The Sox obviously get a big time starter, the D'backs get power and a solid first baseman and the Brewers start building for the future with decent prospects.

Theo flys out today to Arizona to meet with Schilling.  the deadline for the trade is 5 pm Friday.

On other Red Sox notes, Theo is reportedly going hard after Keith Foulke, one of the premier closers in the game.  Foulke was in town last night and went to the Celtics game with Theo, so talks are diffenently in the works.

If this all comes to fruition, then many a teams, including the Yankees, would be envious.  Pedro, Schilling, Lowe, Wakefield and Kim as your starters, Timlin and Embree as your set up men and Foulke as your closer.  Couple that with the offensive power we have and it looks good on paper.  Hopefully it works out on the field as well.
Common sense isn't so common