Author Topic: AT-AT w/camouflage paint... need HELP  (Read 3068 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
AT-AT w/camouflage paint... need HELP
« on: July 8, 2003, 04:23 PM »
This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time now.  I was able to get a POTF2 AT-AT at a garage sale for $6, and all that's missing from it are the chin guns and the side door panel.  I've been wanting to paint it a forest camouflage style on it (greens and browns like the US Army).  I've never done customizing before, so this will be my first attempt.  What paints would be best to use on that type of plastic, and any ideas on what greens & browns would be best to use for this?  I want the camouflage to look something like this...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: AT-AT w/camouflage paint... need HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2003, 01:25 AM »
The only paints you should ever use on toys are waterbased...  Basically, if you clean up using water (Not paint thinner) then you're good...  I'd suggest Tamiya paint if you have them available in your area...

Now, for painting camo, especially on large surfaces like a vehicle, you have a dilemma...  Doing it by hand is going to Su-diddly-uck...  You're better off trying spray paint then, or using an airbrush.  Since you're not a big customizer I'm guessing the airbrush is out...  Spray paint would work, so long as you find one that won't react with the plastic.

I'd maybe try buying a small can of Testors spray, and just spray it on a VERY small corner or piece of each piece of the AT-AT just so you see if it'll react poorly...  It may not, and then you're in business.

As for colors, you should just compare and see what you like...  Then ask yourself if you want woodland, or desert, or winter, or autumn, urban, night-time, etc...  Camo patterns are vast and varied so you may not want to go with the basic U.S. army woodland, though it's easier than most IMO.

Then, you'd prime the piece...  Or I would...  Well, first you s hould try cleaning and drying the AT-AT to get all dirt, oil, etc., off of it...  Then prime coat it.  Then mask the pattern you want....  Paint the first color, let dry, then mask off the areas not to be coated the next color and paint...  Let dry and do the 3rd color, etc...

Camo can be a huge pain, haha...  :)  As you can see.  Especially on a bigger item.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 10:06 PM »
Ya' Chris since you paid only $6 ya ain't got much to lose so have fun experimenting !!

I haven't to this point had any problems painting plastic !!

What I would do is to go to where ever they sell Can paint and just pic out the colors that look good to you !!

Krylon is what I prefer but Rust-oleum American Accents is good too !!

Krylon has a line of camy paint(ultra-flat) tho I've never tried it

Here's What I have done in Camy !! It Isn't like your pic but to get it like that on a small scale, I think you would have to do it by hand with a brush, unless your good with a Airbrush !!

As JJ Said Wash it , tape it (I'd do only the areas you don't want Camy), and I'd use Krylon Gray primer !!

Basecoat light (I used Tan) and just spray a little of one color here another there(light coats), and if it gets to look'n wet. Wait a few till it dries and do some more !!

Krylon Dries fast that why I use it the most!! But "beware" you get what you pay for and cheap paint can take a week to dry .Even if it says Fast Drying !!! ::)
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 12:41 AM »
Rodger, first of all I have seen that box set diorama thing you made before, and it looks AWESOME!  You did a terrific job on that thing, and it's displays your figures VERY well!

Secondly, is that Krylon paint that you used the new kind that is specifically meant to be used on plastic?  I've seen some commercials lately about that new paint, and was wondering if that is what I need to buy.  I'm not sure if that new paint leaves a glossy or flat look.  I'll have to probably research, I'm sure.

I was starting to think about painting it sand colors, to house some bad-to-the-bone Sandtroopers, but I highly doubt an AT-AT would have been able to walk well in the sand on Tatooine.  Am I right about that?

But, I will probably go with the Army greens/browns for the camo.

Again, Rodger, you're display case is awesome, and thanks for your tips!   ;D
dustrho

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 01:15 PM »
Thanks Chris for the Complement !!  :)

I've not used that new "for Plastic" Paint, but from what i've seen it only comes in basic colors !! Just pic the colors you want since it's hard plastic It'll work !!!You might want to paint the backside of the side door though, to see if it'll take bending to some degree !!

As far as the Tattoine AT-AT goes IHO That would be a really Cool Original Idea !!!! You could even repaint a driver and Officer in Desert Mode !!! ;D

Just don't forget to send me some pics and LMK how it's going !!!! ;)

The New Sandcrawler Workshop