Author Topic: Why Do You Collect?  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do You Collect?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 02:13 PM »
After reading a few of the topics over the past few weeks, and particularly Tydirium's post today....I was wondering if anyone's collecting "whys" have changed, or how you feel about things now?

For me, Star Wars is always first...and I do enjoy collecting it.  As I've mentioned in other threads, there are times when I feel a little overwhelmed, but I'm pretty sure that I'm in this (in some form or another) until the end, until they quit making stuff.  I collect it because they have been, and will always be, my favorite movies (the OT, in particular).  I really enjoy it.

Other lines, its a variety of reasons.  I think I can admit that sometimes I might get a little "caught up" in excitement of lines, only to later think "why did I buy this, or come close to buying this?".  The lines that I've had a consistent interest in outside of Star Wars (Marvel and Lord of the Rings), are due to specific reasons as well.  Marvel (especially Spidey) has a lot of nostalgia to me as well, due to being into comics and having Spidey and Secret Wars stuff as a kid.  I've always enjoyed that "world".  Lord of the Rings is new, so I can't pledge nostalgia on this one.  I think this is more of the "modern day" Star Wars to me.  There is of course the prequels, which I do enjoy, because hey, its Star Wars...but the Lord of the Rings movies to me are really amazing.  I really get into the story and characters, much the same way the Original Trilogy was to me as a kid.

Other lines have had fleeting interest, and some may be due to getting "hyped up" about things.  Not to say they aren't good lines, but they are lines where I sit back and think "would it have really been necessary to collect these?".  These lines include, GI Joe (nostalgia gets to me every so often), Masters of the Universe (which was a good line, and I have a few figures from it, but it was poorly handled...still kind of like this line though), Muppets (nostalgia, and very nice line), DC stuff (not quite as much into DC as a kid, but did have a few comics I followed - Batman in particular - and really liked "Super Friends" and the "Super Powers" toy line), things like this.  There's been times where I have been in the aisle an just about bought things on a whim....more MOTU, G.I Joe stuff, Marvel movie figures (I do have a few Spider-Man, but almost bought others...glad I didn't now), even for a short time...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  There are others as well.  I guess what I'm saying is now I think I have realized that sometimes I let the "hype" get to me a bit, and draw me towards other lines.  In all honesty, I doubt I'd be collecting any of these things, or even looking at them, if it wasn't for Star Wars.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Because I’m an idiot who blindly hoards plastic (and die-cast!) rather than saving my bucks to vacation in the Cook Islands.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 07:39 PM »
I collect toys and merchandise because I have nothing else to do. They are linked to my favorite things. Comics, and Movies. Sometimes TV shows. I have nothing else to spend my money on, except for Movies, Comics, and Toys.

I think my collecting has a darker side to it.

I surround myself with superior beings in hope that one day I'll be like that Spider-Man on my wall, or as powerful as the T-Rex on my shelf next to my bed that I see every morning. Just like my T-Shirts. All Super-Hero T-Shirts.

I also collect for revenge. See, my mother's husband destroyed my origional collection of toys and drawings because I didn't do what I was told. I guess destroying all my toys would teach me a valuable lesson.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 01:58 PM »
Because I’m an idiot who blindly hoards plastic (and die-cast!) rather than saving my bucks to vacation in the Cook Islands.

This works for me too.  Substitute in a '67 Camaro SS and we're on the same page.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline The Devils Ewok

• Youngling
  • Kills scalpers dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 4, 2004, 04:01 PM »
I collect scary stuff.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #20 on: September 4, 2004, 04:14 PM »
Do I see an insect from Starship Troopers on the floor there? Where'd you get that from?