Author Topic: 2009 JD CUSTOM CONTEST DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 33654 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
2009 JD CUSTOM CONTEST DISCUSSION THREAD
« on: May 30, 2009, 01:00 PM »
We are going to have a Customs Contest.  The Rules and Theme are still being decided, but I want to know what our members would feel would be a suitable prize or prizes?

In the past on other sites I have an ownership interest in, we have given products, gift cards to Target/Wal Mart, store credit at Broken Arrow toys and even had the winner's Custom Cast so they could have a copy (not for sale) of their work.

So post it here or drop me a PM.  I love Customs (although have ZERO skill in doing it).  I want 2 Contests a Year at least.

So get the word out to the other forums as well.

I do plan several levels of prizes as well.  So not just first place, but Forum Favorites and a Judges prize as well.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2011, 01:49 PM by Jeff »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: CUSTOM CONTEST COMING PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:37 PM »
I think gift cards for JD sponsors (or other retailers) is a great idea.  Easy to ship and gives the winner(s) more options.  Merchandise is nice too - I remember the "things" I've won over the years more than I do the gift certificates.

Do customizers usually just keep the items they make for these contests?  If they're willing to part with their work, I've always thought it would be cool to have a customs auction for charity.  OR as incentivie, maybe a percentage goes to the designer and the rest goes to charity.  Just a thought...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:39 PM »
I stickied our old Monthly Customizing Challenges index thread to give everyone an idea/reminder of what we have done in the past. We haven't ever given prizes to the winners, or even picked winners for that matter, but the past ones have always been fun.

Here's the link to the Group Project index that Paul (Master_Phruby) runs.

We did do a series of custom auctions for charity back in 2005 after Katrina. We we actaully raised a good ammount of money for what we were selling, heres's the link to that thread. And we have also had a series of Custom Figure Give-Aways on the site here.

"This is the way."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Ok here is a question for the Customizers who might enter the contest...

Would you rather I suggest  a "theme" or would you rather I suggest a base figure (or figures) to use.   

We may switch back and forth as contests come and go, but I want MAX effort since there will be $500 total in prizes.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I personally like the idea of a theme much better than picking a base figure, but I don't count since I'm not eligible to win. :P
"This is the way."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I'm liking the theme idea. 

I got a hankering to customize something soon.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2009, 01:38 PM »
It's good to see a renewed interest for supporting this sort of thing.  Personally, I think if you want maximum participation, you let the forum members decide on a theme they like.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Ok, then it looks like theme it is.

I am going to offer up 4 themes.   We will put it to a vote for about a week.  Then I will announce the theme. 

Look for an announcement on Monday.   Get the customizers that haven't been at JD.com for while involved.  If we have enough interest, I will increase the prize amounts.

Offline DocOutlands

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 8, 2009, 12:31 PM »
suggestion - something to do with droids.

Not that I'm biased or anything.   ;D

(btw - first post here - hi, folks!)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Welcome to the fold Doc. Glad to have you aboard. :)

Are you a big droid customizer or is that just something you are interested in doing?
"This is the way."

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:49 AM »
Anything ever come of this idea?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 02:56 AM »
Anything ever come of this idea?

Everyone on the staff has had a pretty busy summer so far and we have been in and out of town, but we are still talking about this behind the scenes and should have something planned soon. :)
"This is the way."

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 06:38 PM »
This is cool. Although I find it difficult to find time to participate on a regular basis in the (now bi-monthly) Yakfinities, I do support things like that. I'm happy to say I am currently involved in the current YF as well as the upcoming Casting Call #57: Tales of the Jedi at FFURG.

And is "Paul" the one and only Master Phruby? Just asking, because quite a few people have been changing their usernames at various boards lately  ;)

Anyway, this sounds like it's going to be of a size something in between a Yakfinities and a Group Project, right? I'm game. I absoutely LOVED working on the Summer Group Project Shaak Ti. Not only because of all the good vibes and great paricipation in that one, but also because on a peronsal level, I feel it upped my game quite a bit. If I do say so myself.

Summer's always quiet in this scene, so let's hope the dreary, grey and rainy days of autumn (or fall  ;) ) arrive soon, so we can stay indoors, let the wife take care of visiting the in-laws, and get crackin'  ;D

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Ok sorry for the long absense, right after taking over the site, I moved and we are just now getting to back to a semi-normal existence.

Ryan, JJ and I are working on the final details as far as Prizes (at least 3 tiers) and theme.

We are basically going to do 1 contest per quarter.  With prizes each time.

So look for the announcement Sunday Night.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: CUSTOM CONTEST IS HERE PLEASE READ
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 11:44 PM »
Here it is... it is pretty simple.

3 Catagories:  Most Production Level (looks most like a Hasbro figure)
                    Most Creative
                    Most unique use of non-sw parts to create a SW figure

Then 2 Judges Prizes picked by staff randomly.

You can Choose any figure listed on the JD.com Top 30 wishlist that we are sending to Hasbro (sorry Jocasta Nu fans).

It is going to run for 2 months, so get your entries in before Nov 1.  

I also ask that you "register" with Ryan with a simple "I'm in" type message.  

On Nov 1.  We will get a gallery going with the photos, (you can submit 2 photos) then there will be a vote of JD.com members AS OF Nov 1.  (Sorry again Jocasta Nu Fans) That is how this one will work a straight up vote by the JD.com community.  If there is a bunch of voter fraud or ballot stuffing, the next contest will be judged differently.

There will be a discussion thread, feel free to post pics of WIPs or keep your project to yourself, it is up to you.   You can enter as many customs as you wish, but there will only be 1 prize per person.  

The prizes are up in the air right now, we are working with Sponsors (you've seen the banners on the site, click them from the main page, buy stuff, we like them)..but for now I anticipate Gift Cards to advertisers instead of merchandise (it ships cheaper). But the more participants we get, the more we will try to award prizes.

Rules are subject to change and prizes may vary.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:45 PM by Paul »