Author Topic: Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (Video Game)  (Read 6645 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (Video Game)
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Just curious if anyone here has (or planning) picked this up.  I believe it just came out this week, although I might be wrong about that.  From the previews and trailers, it looked kind of neat.  I hope to take a look at it eventually, although my days of buying games at full price might be done for the most part (especially after seeing LEGO Star Wars, Indy, and Batman all drop to $19.99 within a year).  Anyways, just wondering if anyone has checked this out yet.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (Video Game)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Is this Wii only?  Bummer if it is...  But it'd explain some of the graphics I've seen too.

I saw a commercial and I was interested in it, but didn't see an XB360 logo anywhere on it at the end.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:58 PM »
From Wikipedia:

The game was announced in 2005[citation needed] for release on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles. During E3 2006, LucasArts heavily promoted the game by citing its use of the new simulation technology developed by NaturalMotion called euphoria, which generates "on-the-fly" animations for 3D characters thus eliminating the need for canned animations and preventing repetition of animations. At the time that game was scheduled for a release sometime in 2007, but this did not occur. Later, when Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was finally green lit and entered production, many assumed that LucasArts would be timing the release of the game with the new film in the summer of 2008 (such was the case with Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures), but this did not happen either.

These delays in development were caused by LucasArts prioritizing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, which uses the same technology that was originally associated with the Indiana Jones game during 2006.

A July 2008 interview with LucasArts by DailyGame[5] dissuaded rumours of the game's cancellation, the LucasArts representative stating that the Indiana Jones PS3 and Xbox 360 game was "very deep into development." The team were "working very actively" to bring the game up to form for public/media consumption, and said that "the game looks great."

On January 23, 2009 an official trailer revealed that the game would come out in the Spring of 2009 for the Wii, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation 2 gaming platforms. The change of release platforms was profound, and the lack of PS3 and 360 versions listed curious.

In the May 2009 issue of Game Informer, the magazine reported that these versions of the game had been cancelled. While further information was reported as forthcoming, there has been no comment from LucasArts about the cancellation of the games.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Wow, that's pretty damn long for development...  I guess that's why PS3 and 360 ultimately got slashed and why the graphics looked like they did.  Too bad.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 06:07 PM »
I hope to take a look at it eventually, although my days of buying games at full price might be done for the most part

Target has buy 2 get 1 free on all Playstation games this week.  I was tempted to pick up Indy the other day, but the only other PS2 game I'm interested in and haven't played is LEGO Batman.  Indy is only $29.99 so it's not that bad.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:12 PM »
My Indy fan five year old conveniently gave the Wii version to me for Father's Day.  I don't know how to turn the Wii on, but he and his big sister seem to be enjoying the game.

I had an Indy game back on the old Xbox, some kind of Asian adventure with a big alligator in there or something.  This new game looks about the same graphics wise.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:48 AM »
I read some reviews on it, and the game's apparantly pretty attrocious in every way.  Bummer.  An Indy game could be a really great thing if Lucasarts didn't suck balls so badly.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:29 AM »
Jim Ward hates Indiana Jones.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:06 AM »
John Davison had some really unkind (and hilarious) things to say about this game in a recent Listen UP podcast.  Some highlights (or lowlights, I guess):

-"Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings on Wii (this is a prepared statement) is ****."

-"This game would have been bad if it had been released in 1999."

-". . .it's a third-person Quicktime event, basically. . ."

-". . .this is where I threw the octopus at the guy. . ."

-"I haven't played a game that's made me feel this annoyed for SO LONG!  I ******* hate it!  It's terrible!"

-"It's such a poorly-designed game."

-"You feel like such a putz throughout the entire thing."

-"It's just ****.  And then it got to the point where I'm like 'that's it, I'm not playing this anymore.  **** you.'  It was literally like, I don't care what happens next."

-"But there is also a PS2, a PSP, and a DS game, and I just shudder to think how awful they must be."

-"I bet there was a moment at some point at a level above LucasArts where they were like 'you know, a bunch of people went to see Crystal Skull, and that was ****, so uncan The Staff of Kings and let's just put it out and see what happens!'"

-"This thing makes the last couple of Tomb Raiders look like, just works of staggering genius.  However apathetic most people are toward Tomb Raider now, they look like works of GENIUS compared to this."

-"Don't buy Indy, it's awful."

Starts about nine minutes in.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 03:01 AM »
Hah, well that about wraps up any notion that this maybe had a redeeming quality to it. :)

Lucasarts used to be such a quality company that I literally want to cry when they keep putting out pure **** like this game.  It's been ages since they put out a really top-notch title, sadly.  I mean, X-Wing: Alliance is OLD, and wasn't even 100% finished (the story just cuts off dead in the middle), and yet it's still a game people are playing to this day, modding it and stuff, because it was a quality base that holds up even now.

And pretty much since then it's been downhill.

KOTOR is about the only thing since that was good that I can think of off the top of my head...  Something that EVERYONE loved.  And yet, that was pretty much 100% done by another company I do believe.

I like to think Force Commander's good, and I enjoyed it myself, but it was hated by most and wasn't user-friendly by any stretch of the imagination.  After this game I really can't think of anything I enjoyed or went back to after playing through it once.

And it's just gotten worse.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 4, 2009, 06:29 PM »
I've been playing the PSP version of the game. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's not horrible either.

Is it as good as the PSP version of The Force Unleashed? Nope. But it's A LOT better than the PSP exclusive game Star Wars: Lethal Alliance.

The story was pretty good, which is a plus.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!