Author Topic: Hasbro Star Wars - What Can They Do to "Right the Ship"?  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
This topic pertains to what ideas you might have for Hasbro to help make collectors happy again.  Although I know that distribution plays a MAJOR factor in many collectors' unhappiness, it seems like there is a pretty down feeling about the line lately...and I have also seen, in numerous threads, many people showing a lot more excitement and enthusiasm about other toy lines (myself included, I've really been into looking up info on Marvel Legends lately).  Anyways, besides the obvious problem of finding the figures, is there anything else you think Hasbro could do to make this line better, or to satisfy the majority (I think its impossible to satisfy all) of collectors/kids, etc.?  What makes the other lines that you collect or have thought about colleting more appealing, or what is Star Wars lacking for you at the moment?  Personally for me, I think the main part of it is not being able to find things, which is not totally Hasbro's fault probably.  I'm also not a big fan of action features, and after seeing some closer pictures lately, am really disappointed with the Jedi Luke coming out now...the action feature/pose really ruined it for me, although I haven't seen it in person.  Anyways, is there anything you are disappointed with, or just some areas you think could be improved upon.  I know some areas (action features, distribution) have been discussed to all ends before, but if there are any other opinions or ideas, feel free to post them :).  I was just curious what Hasbro could do to bring back the excitement, even though it will probably never be quite what it was in the vintage days, or around movie releases, etc.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Hasbro Star Wars - What Can They Do to "Right the Ship"?
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2003, 04:02 PM »
Well, I think there are many factors. Some pertain to the figures themselves, while others pertain more to the company's handling of the line.

Pertaining to Figures

*No more action features (which is something Hasbro seems to have recognized and is starting to phase out). Too many figures that we've been waiting for have been tarnished or even ouright ruined by action features.

*No more action stances. I have my collection displayed on shelves, and there is such a noticeable chaos to the AOTC figures because everyone, it seems, is in a dynamic pose. I really prefer Anakin secret ceremony and Aayla Secura becase they can be posed either statically or dynamically.

*Increased articulation. Granted, we don't need a bunch of Senators with Kung-Fu grip, but the major characters should have a wide range of poseability. Padme Droid Factory is a good example of a fully articulated figure. This figure is fun because its not limited by its pose.

*Bring Deluxe back to its Glory Days. Remember when the deluxe figures would be figures with accessories from the movie that were too big for a regular card? We got some really nice pieces like the Imperial Probe Droid and the E-WEB (which was a novelty at the time). I like deluxe figures that are like actual props from the set. No more Force Flipping Garbage.

Pertaining to The Company

*Advertise. This isn't 1980. I'd love to think that Star Wars is on the mind of every kid across the globe, but its not. There's alot of options for kids (and us) to buy, and Star Wars really needs to be put back in the forefront.

*Get a good slot for the Clone Wars cartoon (I know, this isn't Hasbro). If Cartoon Network plays this late at night, they might as well not play it at all. And while we're on the subject...

*Push the Clone Wars Cartoon in conjunction with the toys. Kids of all ages (even 26) love to see our favorite characters do cool stuff so we can buy their action figures. I want kids to love the Clone Wars cartoon and I want them to love the figures. The more they buy, the better it is for us.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 9, 2003, 04:51 PM »
Hmmmm, I don't know if the following would solve anything or not.  

1) Pull the pegwarmers from stores - People are not buying the stuff from April 2002 anymore yet it sits there.  The store are not going to do it.  

2) Make smarter decisions - Don't put out rehash after rehash, because people won't buy them en masse.  Ex) the Cantina sets.  If you want to sell the figure at least make new sculpts of them that are significantly better than their original incarnation.

3) Make some decent playsets/dioroamas - I think they are starting to do a bit of this with the Trash Compactor sets and even the upcoming 3 packs.  But something lilke a really nice Cantina or Palace set would be welcome.  Something to put our figures into.  

4) Some more never before done vehicles - Jabba's SailBarge and the Blockade Runner, or even redone vintage ships such as the Cloud Car or Sandcrawler

5) Get rid of the action features and make the pose not as dynamic.  I mean the Luke Jed looks good in one position and that is it.  

6) Increase the articulation - I love the action figures with articulation.  I don't want them looking like the old GI JOE figures but you know what I mean.  Like the Commtech Stormtrooper.  

7) Background Characters - Make some of the OT background guys from the Cantina and Jabba's Palace.  To be honest a couple 3 packs would be great for many collectors I believe.  Maybe something like Arcona, Tonnika Sisters, and Myo in the same 3 pack.  Or Hermi Odle, Whipid, Klaatu (palace).  

8) Main characters - Make them more definitive.  Such as this is the character with lots of accessories.  Instead of making 15 different Tatooine Lukes just make a nice version with articulation and tons of accesories.  

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2003, 10:30 PM »
A couple of points.

1. Care.  Care about your market if you're able.  Yeah, I know collectors only make up a certain segment and I'm usually the one saying we really don't matter that much.  But my mind is changing on that.  Kids are snapping up LOTR and other newer toys that are fresh in their mind.  That leaves the main focus for the collectors.

2.  Rehashes.  I agree with DB above.  Anybody checked ebay lately?  Have a hard time finding anything?  Anything at all?  What outside of TFV and Jorg Sacul command a premium at the 3 3/4 scale?  C-3PO?  Kamino Fett?  Uh, no, usually had for below retail (plus shipping of course).  The point being it ain't hard to find 99% of Hasbro Star Wars modern stuff below retail.  

3. Neutral poses, no action features.  Nuff said.

4.  Put some effort into it.  Make use of the space in that accursed Saga bubble.  You want to charge that much for a figure, fine by me, but make it worth my while.  Lemme see, I'm standing in the toy aisle.  I've got $10 US in my pocket.  I've got a choice between Helm's Deep Legolas or a repacked Jango Fett (no offense Cory).  Where would I be likely to spend my money?

5.  Make the stuff the collectors are asking for or rehash some of the vintage stuff.  Having just got into the vintage stuff, I see all sorts of cool mini vehicles, playsets, whatever available.  It's almost like the solitary figures were accessories for the other stuff.  Neat idea.  
Or, make some vehicles and stuff that appeal to both the kids and the collectors.  Sandcrawler packed with a couple of Jawas (rehash) and a droid (rehash, maybe repaint).  And get realistic on the pricing please.  Your market is no longer captive outside of lunatics like us.  See point above, you're overcharging for the name, not what's in the package.

Oh wait, I seem to be totally redundant with previous posters.  I wonder why ::)

[/whiny/geeky mode]
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 09:50 AM »
I really can't add much more than what has already been said.  The big thing Hasbro has to learn is that kids do not make up the majority of sales.  Collectors like us make up the majority, if not close to all, of the sales.  This may not be entirely true in a movie year, but I'm pretty sure kids don't come close in sales even then.

Hasbro has learn this.  Once that happens, cause and effect will take care of the rest.  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 10:22 AM »
I agree, although I did see a few kids in the Star Wars aisle last year, and once in awhile this year, its been mostly collectors.  I'm really not a fan of the action features, and I am glad they are leaving...and I'm not usually a big fan of extreme poses either, although it sort of works for some figures.  This just hasn't been a great year for Star Wars, with people having troubles finding so many figures.  Some of the figures have still been great, but just a big pain to find and obtain.  I know I probably wouldn't have started collecting or looking at collecting other lines if I could find more new SW product on the shelves...but you get to the point where you want to collect something you can actually get :).  Of course, I'll always be a Star Wars fan first, I just hope they are able to get some of these problems fixed somewhat...and get everyone excited about the line again, more like they were during POTJ.  Maybe the rest of this year and 2004 will bring that about.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 11:07 AM »
I'll tell you how,use the same ammount effort they did for POTJ in 04.

And don't screw up the Episode III line,I'll bet if they all have 14 points of articulation,and have dead on sculpts,no one will say a word.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 08:04 PM »
Some excellent responses so far, which pretty much already summarized what I had to say on the matter.  I'll pretend like I didn't read any of them, and spew forth my ranting anyways.   8)

Make better decisions when choosing which figures to make.  Cut down on all the rehash crap, both re-issues of older figures, and re-doing the main characters over, and over, and over, and over...  Make some NEW figures for once, as in ALL NEW.  Like a character who's NEVER been made before!

I don't know why Hasbro has the stupid idea in their head that background characters, especially from the Original Trilogy, won't sell well.  It just makes no sense!  Kids aren't buying this stuff, adult collectors are!  And what do we want to see?  More background and OT characters.  So where the hell are they Hasbro?  I was hoping that since we're now into the non-movie years again, that we'd be getting a line similar to POTJ, but NO!  We're getting multitudes of re-issues and the ever so lame Clone Wars line!  Perhaps Hasbro will prove me wrong over the next year or two, and we'll finally get some more Cantina and Jabba's Palace aliens out there, along with some new droids, Madine, Reeikan, Yarna, etc.

Make better decisions with the case assortments.  This would help cut down on some of the pegwarmers at least, and make it a little easier to find some of the HTF figures.  Don't keep repacking pre-existing pegwarmers into new assortments for cryin out loud!

With the new Jedi Luke and Vader, we're supposedly FINALLY at the end of the dreaded action features.  Quite a shame to have wasted over a year with the damned things.  Cut down on the extreme action stances (and dance numbers) as well.  Neutral poses work just fine!

More articulation and better/more accurate paint jobs would be great too!  A neutral pose works best when we have a heavy amount of (well hidden) articulation to go with it.  Let US create the poses our figures are in for once!

Send your reps to clean out the pegwarming crap!  If your product stinks, it's not entirely the retail stores faults that it's not selling.  So help them out a little, and swing by and clean up your mess to make room for some new stuff preferably from the same calendar year that we're currently in, so that we might be so fortunate as to see some NEW product that will justify us driving all over town for once!

Give us some freaking playsets to have fun with and to display our figures in!  Why not?  Oh, they won't sell well?  OK.  Sorry, my bad.  I doubt I'd want to drop any money on a nice Cantina, Jabba's Palace, or any portions of the Death Star!  Sure.  Whatever Hasbro!   ::)

I think that covers most of my thoughts on this dilemna.  Hopefully someone at Hasbro is actually paying attention for once, though again, I doubt it.   :-\

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 09:37 PM »
KBZ's ten points to success:

- Redistribute in appropriate quantities all of the 2003 product since many didn't get it.

- More obscure characters, with good sculpts and lots of articulation.

- Finish the OT vehicles, all we really need is a cloud car, escape pod, sandcrawler and sail barge.

- Sith Infiltrator.

- Keep the screen scenes comin'.

- Get cantina wave 2 out - and get us a U-shaped piece for the bar.

- Find something GOOD to do with the 4000 jedi master points most of us have collecting dust in a drawer somewhere.

- Playsets / dioramas - and large ones, with movie accuracy.

- limit the rehashes and more importantly the repacked figures - some of us are compulsive and buy everything even though we already own it - please don't take advantage of us :)

- Hermie Odle.

Of course, I'll buy whatever they put out pretty much regardless.... :P :-[

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 11:39 PM »
After those new images,it looks like they're trying! :) :D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 12:32 AM »
After those new images,it looks like they're trying! :) :D

Yep, those figures are so good looking, it almost makes up for the creation of Durge  ;)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 10:52 PM »
Lucasfilm invented Durge actually :o

These new figs are remenisent of POTJ in my view :D ;D