Author Topic: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread  (Read 22522 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2007, 11:21 AM »
I saw this Saturday; I showed up 40 min. prior was wayyyy back in line and somehow the 5 of us were able to sit together. I tried to follow it, problem was-was there was a young girl with some ADHD problem next to me that kept flopping around like a fish, distracting me pretty bad. Since the movie was long-which doesn't bother me- the special girl beside me couldn't make it past an hour. Which left the action sequences left for me to have to review at another date. Overall from what I could see, I would say it was better than the 2nd film but not as good as the first.

SPOILER:

Was dissapointed in the Kraken loss.

The DS

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Caught the Sunday Matinee around here.... I really enjoyed it. The theatre was packed, but surprisingly, not a single cell went off the whole time. The movie was long, and had a lot of details in it that could all be critiqued individually, but all in all, I really had a good time watching this one, like I did the first film. Dead Man's Chest I didn't like so much, but after watching this latest film, I can probably appreciate the ties the second film made even more now.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 3, 2007, 08:14 PM »
I just got back from seeing this and was a little disappointed.  It was good, lots of action and all that stuff but some parts were rather pointless....and I had a hard time hearing what Tia Dalma was saying half the time. I also didn't get to stay through the credits so what was the tidbit that I missed??

SPOILER QUESTION BELOW:

How did the Kraken die??  I missed that - my husband thinks it was Davy Jones that killed him but like I said, we had a hard time hearing a lot of it.

Beth

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #108 on: June 3, 2007, 09:02 PM »
At one point the India East guy talks about making Davey kill his pet.  I figured he meant the Kraken.

I walked out of this movie thinking it was just bad.  Poorly writen.  It ruined what I enjoyed most about the first two.

In particular I was disappointed by the swashbuckling action.  In the first two, the fights were borderline outrageous, but they were sensical and within the vague realm of actual physics.  In World's End, any connection to real physics was completely abandoned.  And much of it just doesn't follow one segment to the next.  In the end battle, Jack Sparrow had to have been swinging around the masts of the two ships 5 or 6 times.  And in the end he falls down in the perfect position to grab the treasure. 

It reminded me of how Charlie's Angels was over-the-top, but enjoyable... where in Charlie's Angels 2 the action was just so absolutely laughable that it couldn't be enjoyed.

Then there was the whole wedding/swordfight/dance.  Poor concept and poor execution.

It's been a bad year for movies so far.  300 was probably the only really good film I've seen.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 3, 2007, 10:14 PM »
And the year is almost half-over.

Damn...That went fast.  :-\

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 4, 2007, 05:32 PM »
....and I had a hard time hearing what Tia Dalma was saying half the time. SPOILER

Tell me about it..I couldn't understand her either when she became giant version calypso thatsa BIG BITCH(see Duece Bigalow movie). She was a hollerin' something bad...but I couldn't tell.

Spoiler**

The ending scene is a shot with the husband on his ten year home visit and little bootstrap the 3rd at mommies side singing pirate songs.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 4, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Thanks DS-I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD to see that ending part....I should have known better than to leave.  :-\
Beth

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 4, 2007, 10:36 PM »
Yeah, all the films have one of those silly, meaningless scenes at the end after all the credits...

trouble is it's hard to hold my pee back after sitting through almost 3 hours with a 32oz Soda to watch them-some how I find a way though :)

DS 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 6, 2007, 09:39 AM »
I finally got to see this last night. I have to say that I was impressed that the film made some gutsy moves. If not for it's resolution, I would have really disliked it. Still think it could have been better, but overall, not bad. Wouldn't mind seeing it again to take everything in.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 6, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Yeah, all the films have one of those silly, meaningless scenes at the end after all the credits...

trouble is it's hard to hold my pee back after sitting through almost 3 hours with a 32oz Soda to watch them-some how I find a way though :)

DS 
Spoilers.

The other two end scenes where far less important then POTC3 to me at least.  The scene wasn't just Will coming back for a 10 year visit with his family but (according to the writers and game) was he return to the "real" world where he could stay with his family without having to be Capitan of the Flying Dutchman ever again. 

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 6, 2007, 10:54 AM »
that sounds good Tom, I would have had no idea from that unless someone knew about writers,games and such.
SPOILERS

Actually I felt there would be something to that, was thinking this after watching the movie...a subplot for the next movie of sort. A way to 'cheat' the dutchman rule so they could be a family again-and I'm sure Papa Bootstrap has a play in it. Sure the main focus will be on the fountain of youth but, there will be typical carribeanesque sublots like this I'm sure.

The DS

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #116 on: June 6, 2007, 11:10 AM »

The other two end scenes where far less important then POTC3 to me at least.  The scene wasn't just Will coming back for a 10 year visit with his family but (according to the writers and game) was he return to the "real" world where he could stay with his family without having to be Capitan of the Flying Dutchman ever again. 

In the movie they said he had to be the captain forever.  He gets one day every 10 years to be on land.  After that he goes out for another 10 years.  Why would Will be released when Davey Jones wasn't?

Actually I felt there would be something to that, was thinking this after watching the movie...a subplot for the next movie of sort. A way to 'cheat' the dutchman rule so they could be a family again-and I'm sure Papa Bootstrap has a play in it. Sure the main focus will be on the fountain of youth but, there will be typical carribeanesque sublots like this I'm sure.

Orlando Bloom has been confirmed NOT to be part of Pirates 4.  The story of Will Turner is over.  Keira Knightley is still up in the air... but given the "10 years later" ending of Pirates 3, it wouldn't make much sense to include her.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 6, 2007, 11:46 AM »

In the movie they said he had to be the captain forever.  He gets one day every 10 years to be on land.  After that he goes out for another 10 years.  Why would Will be released when Davey Jones wasn't?

From what I have heard on other message boards it was explained that if the Captian of the Dutchman were to find his true love, and that true love stayed loyal to him for 10 years, they would be free from the duties of the Dutchman.  Unlike Will's true love (Elizabeth), Davey Jones' ture love (Callipso) never really loved Davey.  When Davey showed up for the first ten year visit with Callipso she wasn't there to met him, so he told the brothern of pirates how to capture and keep Callipso in human form (I thought I heard this in the movie).  So that's why Jones was bound to be the Captian of the Dutchman until someone replaces him, he never found a true love.   

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 6, 2007, 12:53 PM »
Yep, well explained Tom.

DS

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 6, 2007, 01:38 PM »
I think I'll see it sometimes in theaters. I was disapointed with DMC, hopefully I won't be as dispapointed with AWE.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m