Author Topic: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread  (Read 22510 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
The Pirates of the Carribean Thread
« on: May 3, 2003, 05:06 PM »
Just caught this trailer again last night, and my girlfriend won't stop talking about how excited she is to see this movie in a couple months.  Needless to say, she kind of has a thing for both Johnny Depp and Legolas so she's very excited to see the both of them in action together.

As for me, I'm actually really excited about this flick as well.  Looks like it should be a lot of fun, and I've seen and heard that it's got some great special effects.  My family made a couple trips out to Disneyland when I was growing up, and the Pirates of the Carribean ride was always my favorite ride in the whole park, by far!  Loved that place!  Hopefully the movie is an accurate translation as to what they've got in the ride, because if it is, this will be a great movie!

Slightly annoying that my girlfriend has less than honorable intentions in watching it though, but I suppose many guys will be in the same boat as me in that respect!   :-\
« Last Edit: August 7, 2006, 04:57 PM by Jeff »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Anyone psyched for Pirates of the Carribean?
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2003, 05:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, mainly because it's my favorite ride at Disneyworld.  I'm also excited about it, because it's the first good-looking pirate movie in a very long time.  What's the release date??
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2003, 09:11 PM »
July 9th, one week after T3:ROTM

Im soooooooooooo excited about this movie! I cant get enough of the trailer, I've been watching it constantly. At first I thought this would be total crap, but definately changed my mind after seeing the preview

It makes me more excited about The Haunted Mansion as well, I cant wait to see what approach they take to that movie...

From the looks of the trailer, other than namesake, I dont think this will be very close to the ride. Maybe at its core, but I have my doubts that they will try to follow the same ride as the story. Still excited though! :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2003, 11:37 AM »
I will be seeing this movie. I love the new preview. I really like when the pirates morphed into the dead. Awsome!!

First I have to see X2 and T3.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2003, 11:22 AM »
Once wifey finds out Legolas is in this I am positive we will be attending, it looks great though!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2003, 07:05 PM »
Well, Pirates time is finally here, as it opens tonight!  Anyone going to check it out tonight, or this weekend?  I think we'll probably be catching it tonight, as Patty's been chompin' at the bit to watch this ever since we first heard about it last year.  Count her amongst the many ladies who's an ardent fan of both Depp and "Legolas"...   ;)

I've always loved that ride at Disneyland as well (along with the Haunted Mansion), so I agree with Grant - if it's anything like the ride, it should do great!  Looking forward to it...  How 'bout you?!

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Pirates of the Caribbean-"Spoilers"
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2003, 07:15 PM »
Just got back from seeing this Disney movie and I must say, I liked it.  Depp does a fantastic job as Captain Jack and his facial expressions make the character all that more amusing. The dialogue seems to be intelligent and witty, aimed as much at adults as teens.   I was surprised to see a lot of kids that were around 5 & 6 in the theatre and the one little girl was crying, she was so scared.

**************SPOILER*****************

The pirate battle was impressive, with the changing of the bones to flesh as they moved about the ship but when Sparrow was stabbed and turned to bones, that was really cool.  That is also when the little girl cried very loudly and whoever she was with carried her out.

**************END SPOILER****************

It's over two hours but doesn't really seem like it as there is action from beginning to end.  I think it should do pretty good at the box office, even with T3 out and should help the careers of both Bloom and Knightley (both of whom are so gorgeous that even the addition of dirt to them didn't hinder the wonderful screen eye-candy).  Of course it's Bloom for me and Keira for the nephews ;).

All in all a fun flick that I will be picking up on DVD.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2003, 09:26 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2003, 07:17 PM »
I was hoping to go to tonight, but that doesnt look like it will happen :(

Im excited about it though! I hope they show a trailer for The Haunted Mansion! :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 9, 2003, 07:18 PM »
Oops.  Didn't even know there was a thread out there already...and I did look!!  :)

It took me twenty minutes just to write my new topic out because the cat was hell bent on getting my attention.   Well, you can see my thoughts in the "spoiler" thread or merge them together if you like.  Sorry about the double topic.
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 9, 2003, 07:25 PM »
Oops.  Didn't even know there was a thread out there already...and I did look!!  :)

No problem at all Beth!  I probably bumped the old thread back up right when you were typing out your post!   :D  Anyways, we've got a real simple "merge" topics function here at JD, so I'll put it to good work here...   ;)

Glad to hear you liked it!  Jealous I am, that you were lucky enough to have already seen it though!   :-*
« Last Edit: July 9, 2003, 07:30 PM by JediMAC »

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 9, 2003, 07:30 PM »

Im excited about it though! I hope they show a trailer for The Haunted Mansion! :)

Yes they did show the Haunted Mansion trailer (with Eddie Murphy) along with the movie about the two guys being attached (sorry so stupid looking I can't remember the title).

Thanks for the merge Matt!!
« Last Edit: July 9, 2003, 07:32 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #11 on: July 9, 2003, 08:30 PM »
I saw this movie today. It is getting 4-stars in the paper and I have to agree. It is a great movie. Lots of fun, adventure, excitement, and more.
I really loved the effects for this movie. I will not give anway anythign but I have to say this is my favorits movie of 2003 thus far.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #12 on: July 9, 2003, 08:45 PM »
I dunno I can't seem to get into this one for some reason... Maybe because pirates don't do much for me and that whole period in time.

I love Depp as an actor and is one of the greats in our modern times. Maybe I'll see it once it hits shelves on DVD format.
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 9, 2003, 10:38 PM »
I'm curious.  I wasn't that pumped when the trailers came out, but it was my favorite ride at Disneyland (some 26 years ago :o).  My wife is pretty fired up, so I suppose I'll end up seeing it.  Skipped the spoiler, thanks for marking it so clearly. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 03:45 AM »
Well, Patty and I just got back from seeing it, and I must say that I thought it was one helluva fun 2.5 hour ride!  It really held true to it's namesake attraction at Disneyland, so that was a big plus.  And it wasn't tailored to the kids - it was a pretty scary and violent flick which is what I was really hoping for.  I was a little surprised to see that it got away with just a PG-13 rating.  So that's definitely a plus as well!

We also got the added enjoyment of having one helluva crowd in our theater.  I guess watching it here in Southern California where most everyone has been to Disneyland and ridden Pirates numerous times throughout their lives was conducive to a very excited and fanatical audience.  I'd say at least a third of the audience was dressed up as Pirates or wenches for the movie.  There were sword fights going on in the theater before it started (much like the lightsaber battles at the SW flicks).  The whole crowd kept screaming like pirates, and were continuously quoting stuff from the ride at D'land.  And of course, there were several stirring renditions of Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirates Life for Me! song.  The only bummer was that we didn't get to see the Haunted Mansion trailer for whatever reason in our showing...  

Kira Knightly was WAY hot, and Johnny Depp was ever so brilliant again, in one of his typically eccentric roles!  He's just a great actor and I'm thrilled they went with him for the lead role.  Just a fun movie, with a lot of clever humor and almost non-stop action from beginning to end, and when I say end - I mean the VERY END - as in you better stay ALL the way through the credits folks!!!

The one thing that bummed me out was that there weren't any sharks, other than a brief far off shot of some Hammerhead shadows.  That large shark fin that was shown in the trailers was never even in the movie!   >:(  I hate it when they do that!  I love sharks!

So I'd definitely recommend checking this movie out if you're just looking for a fun movie with lots of entertainment value to watch.  Two big thumbs up from the Colman crew!   8)