Author Topic: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread  (Read 22519 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone psyched for Pirates of the Carribean?
« Reply #45 on: May 4, 2006, 10:51 AM »
I've still be re-watching the Superman Returns trailer, but now there is a new Full Trailer up for Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Dead Man's Chest.  If you visit the link above, click on "other viewing options" for larger (or Window Media, if you prefer) versions.  Looking forward to this one too, should be a good summer for movies with X-Men, Superman Returns, and POTC2.

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 4, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Can't wait for the new Pirates flick, I absolutely loved the first one.  Geoffrey Rush stole that movie.  Long live Cap'n Barbossa!
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 4, 2006, 04:25 PM »
I extremley enjoyed the first POTC, and look forward to the second one. BTW, has anyone tried these?

They're white chocolate M+M's, called "Pirate Pearls" to tie into POTC2. They are quite tasty.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: July 8, 2006, 04:06 AM »
So, who saw it on opening day?  What'd you think?

We watched the 4pm show today, and long story short (sans details for the Spoiler wary), we were really disappointed with this sequel.  Keep in mind that the original Pirates movie is one of my all-time favorites too.  The whole thing just seemed too disjointed, and had far too many confusing things where the audience didn't seem to follow what the hell was going on, and why.  We had really been looking forward to this flick, so it's a bummer that I walked out with the same feeling as when I first saw Phantom Menace.

Should be interesting to see how the finale turns out in the next one.  Definitely low expectations going into that one for me.  But hopefully some of you enjoy Pirates more than I did...

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 8, 2006, 04:30 AM »
I saw the third showing this afternoon.  I planned to see the first showing to beat the crowds, but was running late, and they were all sold out!

No surprise I loved every minute of it.  I agree it wasn't perfect like the first one was, and I can  see what critics, and some people have said about it lagging in some parts, going on too much in some parts, and generally the story going in all kinds of directions.

This is just your classic fun, summer popcorn movie.  This is also one of those movies, at least for me to watch over and over again just to watch the details you may have missed the first time.

Alot of folks have been saying this film had a ESB feel.  I agree, it was darker, ended with a great cliff hanger, and could'nt wait to see more.

My highlights:

Davy Jones and his barnacle encrusted "Flying Dutchman", and crew.
Most of the well knowns are back from the first film.
Pintel and Ragetti
"The Kraken!"
The last two minutes of the film *Spoiler below*
.Captain Barbossa is back!!!!  ;D

-Ricardo

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #50 on: July 8, 2006, 02:05 PM »
In honor of the movie, the added Cpt. Jack Sparrow and Cpt. Barbossa to the POTC ride in Both Disney land and Disney world.  I can't wait to go see it on Monday. :D

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 8, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Wasn't the movie supposed to be in honor of the ride? Funny how things work out.

I saw Midnight show and at first, felt pretty cold about it. However, upon thinking more about it, I came to really appreciate the film. While the first stayed relatively light hearted, this film (like ESB) really shows how the world can go to hell. I'll be looking forward to the next movie as this one set it up quite nicely.

P.S. Sorry you didn't enjoy it JediMAC, but perhaps when the DVD comes out you'll like it more. When Ocean's Twelve came out, I was so enthusiastic about it. That is, until I saw the movie. I absolutely hated it in the theaters. Having been a big fan of the first, I felt the second was just way too disconnected and  I just kept on watching and talking about the first, without regard to the second. When the DVD came out I was reluctant to buy it, but somehow I did, and believe it or not, I've come to like Ocean's Twelve almost as much as Ocean's Eleven, now that I've seen it quite a few times. Hopefully you'll find a way to enjoy both films. :)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #52 on: July 8, 2006, 06:37 PM »
Yeah the movie was inspired by the ride, but in honor of the second movie they added 2 characters from teh movie. :P

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 8, 2006, 08:32 PM »
It seems that Revenge of the Sith's reign as the film with the highest-grossing one day total is already over.  POTC2 made an estimated $55.5 million yesterday.  Damn!

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 8, 2006, 08:49 PM »
It seems that Revenge of the Sith's reign as the film with the highest-grossing one day total is already over.  POTC2 made an estimated $55.5 million yesterday.  Damn!

Very impressive.  Some things to consider though:

Schools out- Alot of teeny boppers at this flick.  I'd say over half the people at my theater were under 16. 
Great film the whole family can enjoy.
Chick flick appeal -As the movie was letting out, I heard alot of girls saying things like "It doesn't get any better than Johnny Depp in eyeliner". :P

IMO this movie has a slight "Titanic" factor.  Meaning alot of teeny boppers/young girls are going to see this movie over and over again because of the Depp/Bloom factor, and just because it's summer vaction.  Dead Mans Chest will definately be the top money maker of 2006.
-Ricardo

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 8, 2006, 08:56 PM »
I don't know if I'd consider this a "family film". It was very dark and pretty gruesome during some parts.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 9, 2006, 01:27 AM »
I'm at the opposite end of JediMac on this one. I DID feel though that I was in the minority of folks around me that was following everything clearly and understandibly. I judged this by all the silence around during jokes related to the earlier movie of this 'saga'. It really seemed that alot of folks had already forgotten the goings on from the first film or never saw the first one?
That said, I loved the film- the acting was grand- the special effects awesome. I noted several things throughout this movie that didn't puzzle me...I just feel they are all lead ins to the next film. I really liked the darker appeal of this film and several careful scenes placed in relation to the ride at DL.

I read a review a couple days ago that cautioned 'one should watch the DVD again before watching the film to grasp the many,many related jokes from the first film' --good advice indeed- I feel heeding this advice was critical to notching up the enjoyment level further. My son and I liked the movie alot.  8)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 9, 2006, 12:04 PM »
I'm with DS on this one, I followed it quite clearly. I loved the plot and the darkness that the picture took as it progressed. This was the best Sequal I have ever seen.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #59 on: July 9, 2006, 02:27 PM »
I'm with Kevin and DS on this one. Out of my group of friends I was the only one who totally understood everything, but everyone still liked it. I'm going to have to see this one in theaters again soon. Bring on World's End!
"This is the way."