Author Topic: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread  (Read 22441 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone psyched for Pirates of the Carribean?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 10:46 AM »
Yeah, I have to see this one.  It sounds like a good time at the theatre.  

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 11:22 AM »
I read some great reviews about it on RS, so I think that I'll definately go see it!

Geez, there are so many movies that I want to see this year! At least it's not as bad as last year... ;)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 02:12 PM »
i'm definately there, hope it's not too scary though!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 02:13 PM by max_one »

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 11:00 PM »
Great movie!  Johnny Depp was brilliant as usual and Keira Knightly - WOW!
The GF and I really enjoyed the references to the ride at Disney World, which has always been my favourite since I was  wee bairn.
And I second the notion you should stay for the credits.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 11:07 PM »
I think the wife and I are going to go see this tomorrow night (Friday).  I've been really looking forward to seeing this movie.  The ride at Disneyworld is my favorite ride of all the parks (Epcot, Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios).

On a somewhat side note, my dad recently picked up an old record that had the original "Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirate's Life for Me" on it.  I don't remember the date on the record, but it had to have been made when the ride was first created.  It's much better than what you hear these days when you're on that ride.  The record is in mint shape, has theme songs from all the rides (when it first opened), and he only paid 50 cents for it.   :o
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2003, 05:17 PM »
Finally got to see it and I am quite happy! :) I was really scared they'd fill it to the brim with ride references, but really, there are only a couple that the novice Pirates rider would pick up on. Im glad they didnt cheese out on it. With, or without the ride, it is still one heck of a fantastic pirate movie! It was a fun movie to see, loads of nice special effects, and an interesting story. And I must say, Johny Depp provided a fantastic performance as a very cracked Cap'n Jack Sparrow.

So, did anyone here snag any of the props, from the Disney eBay auctions? I really wanted to, and regret having not. They had some pretty nice items on there!

Got to see the trailer for The Haunted Mansion as well, and this looks pretty funny. Packed full of ride references as well
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Sith Bounty Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hunting new figures daily
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2003, 12:47 PM »
I hopefully will see it either Friday or Saturday
Dont under estimate the power of a sith lord

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2003, 01:05 PM »
I saw it on Friday and can't wait to go see it again especially since I didn't stay until the end of the credits so I will probally go see it again with my parents.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone psyched for Pirates of the Caribbean?
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2003, 07:13 PM »
My girlfriend and I saw Pirates a couple days ago and we both loved it!  I'd really recommend it to everyone out there.  It's just a really fun watch, with some great effects, and a pretty decent story.  I definitely agree with everyone who's saying that Depp was great and Keira Knightly is insanely delicious!

Two thumbs WAY up from my me and my girl!  I still haven't seen or heard even one negative review about this film, by either the critics (TV or print), my friends, or any other casual fans.  So go check it out, you won't be disappointed, I'm sure!   8)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2003, 09:29 PM »
My review of this film (previously posted at the scum):

"Pirates of the Carribean will do for the high seas what The Mummy did for ancient Egypt."

I think it will probably be dumb - but it could be, and hopefully will be, fun all at the same time.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2003, 09:41 PM »
you better stay ALL the way through the credits folks!!!

Saw it again and stayed until the end!!  Thanks Matt  ;)
Beth

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2003, 07:03 PM »
I just found out that the gorgeous girl who stars in Pirates, Keira Knightly, played one of the handmaidens in Episode 1!  I believe she was Queen Amidala's decoy.  Has anyone else heard this, or have some comparison pictures?  Pretty cool that she has a Star Wars connection!

This movie sure has been doing well at the box office, and should be passing the big $200 million mark in the next week or so.  Not bad.  I've already heard talk of a sequel too, though I think this is one of those movies that you should just let stand by itself, and leave well enough alone.  Unless they could come up with a really great story, and keep all the lead actors for a sequel, but I just don't know if it would quite have the power to become a franchise/saga.  Guess we'll find out though.  So has anyone else seen this lately?

On a related note, I saw the trailer for Disney's Haunted Mansion the other day.  The effects look great, but I'm not too sure about the casting.  I love Eddie Murphy and all, but I just wasn't envisioning this movie as a slapstick comedy like it seems they're turning it into with him.  Rather disappointed in the trailer because of it.  Hopefully Disney and Eddie will prove me wrong though, since this is another one of my favorite rides at the park, and I've been looking forward to the movie since I first heard about it.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2003, 09:22 PM »
On a related note, I saw the trailer for Disney's Haunted Mansion the other day.  The effects look great, but I'm not too sure about the casting.  I love Eddie Murphy and all, but I just wasn't envisioning this movie as a slapstick comedy like it seems they're turning it into with him.  Rather disappointed in the trailer because of it.  Hopefully Disney and Eddie will prove me wrong though, since this is another one of my favorite rides at the park, and I've been looking forward to the movie since I first heard about it.

I agree with you on the casting for the Haunted Mansion movie.  Eddie Murphy used to be an awesome actor in his earlier days, but I truly think he sucks now.  The last movie that made me laugh was The Nutty Professor (1st one).  It would be best if he would just retire from acting.

Back to Pirates... my wife and I saw it a couple weeks ago and we loved it!  We stayed until the very end to see the "extra" footage, but damn were those the longest credits I've ever seen!  The credits must have lasted about 7-10 minutes!
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2003, 06:54 AM »
Wow, so Pirates has made it all the way up to $236 million in domestic box office (and the #33 all time spot), and still growing!  Very cool.  Plus Virex informs us that with a probable December 2nd DVD release date, this flick will be sitting under many of our trees on Christmas morning!   8)

On a related note, Finding Nemo just broke into the top 10 of all time, with $325 million.  Still haven't seen that one, but maybe we should real quick before it disappears for good from the theaters.

Aside from the Star Wars movies, Patty and I never watch the same movie twice in the theaters.  But we've been contemplating going back for seconds on Pirates of the Caribbean for a while 'cause we enjoyed it so much, and because it's an effects laden movie that's much more fun in a real theater than at home.

Anyone out there who still hasn't seen this yet?  Hustle on up then and go check it out!  What are you waiting for...???   :-*

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2003, 09:47 AM »
I agree, my wife and I just got a chance to go see this last weekend, and it is a great movie.  Very entertaining, and one we will definitely pick up on DVD.  If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it as well.  However, we didn't stay until the end of the credits, so I'm kind of upset that we missed something...oh well, guess we'll catch it on the DVD maybe :).