Author Topic: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread  (Read 22526 times)

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone psyched for Pirates of the Carribean?
« Reply #60 on: July 9, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Damn!ROTS only had 1 year as top 1 day grossing film!Oh well,I'll probally rent  this on DVD.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 9, 2006, 04:45 PM »
POTC2 made an estimated $132,028,000 this weekend ... absolutely destroying the old weekend record of $114,844,116 ( Spider-Man ). Damn!
Now ... let's see if it has the legs to crack the $300 million mark like the first POTC did.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2006, 12:35 AM »
My fiance and I saw the movie tonight.  Wow, what a great film!  They did an awesome job with the story and I barely noticed 2 and a half hours went by at the end.  Please tell me the next film will be out soon!

I also suggest watching Curse of the Black Pearl before seeing it.  We ended up doing that by happanstance (the show we wanted to see was sold out last night) and it helped out alot.  Especially my fiance, who only saw Curse of the Black Pearl once.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2006, 12:38 AM »
I just got back... it was everything that a Summer blockbuster should be... I had a great time watching it - being as it was one of the most over-the-top things I've ever seen.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2006, 10:36 AM »
My wife and I caught this on Saturday afternoon, and really enjoyed it.  The theatre was packed, and all the showings starting as we exited looked to be as well.  I was happy I hadn't read any of the spoilery material for this movie, because it made a lot of the things towards the end that much more enjoyable.  It definitely has you looking forward to the 3rd movie next year.  The box office has been unbelievable, I agree it should definitely be the biggest movie of the year.  I'm wondering what type of ending numbers it will have, I could see it doing well for awhile yet.  There doesn't seem to be any real "big" movies coming up for a bit, unless you count Miami Vice :).  I was kind of disappointed to see both the Revenge of the Sith and Spidey records fall, but not necessarily surprised I guess.  POTC absolutely crushed Superman in its second weekend though.  I kind of hoped SR would have some legs, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up for the rest of the summer - hopefully there will be a sequel either way.

Oh, and for Pirates, stay through the credits - there's a little scene at the end similar to the 1st movie.  About 20 people out of our showing seemed to have known that :P.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Oh, and for Pirates, stay through the credits - there's a little scene at the end similar to the 1st movie.  About 20 people out of our showing seemed to have known that :P.

Good point Brian..

I felt myself stupidly thinking during the credits.. why aren't the folks on both sides of me leaving? Well, instead of excusing myself and leaving I let curiosity get the best of me and waited. It was a wait well spent....what a treat for my son and I! 8)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2006, 11:09 AM »
I ended up seeing it yesterday after trying to find a showing on Saturday to no avail.  I enjoyed it for the most part the one thing I missed was naval ship battles other then that I thought it was good.  

Oh, and for Pirates, stay through the credits - there's a little scene at the end similar to the 1st movie.  About 20 people out of our showing seemed to have known that .

I figure there would of been a after credit scene since, Black Pearl, had one so I stayed through them while seeing most of the theatre leaving.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2006, 11:41 AM »
I saw this film on Friday with my mom and brother. I really enjoyed it, and I loved Jack Sparrow's first appearance in the coffin. (When he blows the crows head off.   :)) My dad and I may go to see it in a week or two, after we catch the first one on the USA network on Saturday night. If I see it a second time, I'll be looking for Barbosa's boots, as well as staying for the scene after the credits.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Anyone want to throw up a spoiler warning and post what happens after the credits for those of us who had to piss so bad that we didn't even think to stay just incase?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2006, 01:11 PM »
SPOILER

It's a silly 20-second clip of the dog as the king of the natives.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Just remembered another similarity POTC2 has with ESB.  Bob Anderson has swordmaster/choreography credits for DMC.
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2006, 11:50 PM »
Saw it tonight, and it was really good. By no means is it the best sequel ever (either ESB or Spidey 2 holds that honor), but it was entertaining, I never lost interest during the movie, and the 2.5 hours flew by. It's heartwrenching to say this, but I think it deserved to beat ROTS's record.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2006, 01:18 PM »
I can't believe that EW gave it a D+.

From everyone I know that saw it, they loved it.

???

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2006, 01:20 PM »
I saw that too, and didn't get it.  I see that they are reporting this morning that it actually made about 3.5 million more than originally estimated for the three day weekend - putting it closer to $136 million.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2006, 08:56 AM »
One question:

Did anyone see this, and like it, who absolutely hated the first one?

I bought the original when it first came out on DVD, and it was all I could do to get through it all.  Way too long, and way too boring.  One of the worst DVD purchases I've ever made.

However, the word-of-mouth on this one seems very good--but then again, so was the word-of-mouth on the first one (which was why I bought it in the first place), and I absolutely couldn't stand it. 

So. . .  any POTC1 haters out there, who liked this one?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 09:06 AM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."