Author Topic: General Kubrick Chat (both SW and others)  (Read 9384 times)

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
General Kubrick Chat (both SW and others)
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:39 AM »
There is no random thread for subjects that just don't fit anywhere else so I've created one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubrick-Star-Wars-Empire-Collection-88-Imperial-Army-/290603329472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a94ee7c0

At least there is free shipping!
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline smokebelch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: General Kubrick Chat (both SW and others)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41 AM »
Wow! Thats quite some collection there, pricey- but I guess the chases will be making up the bulk of that. And 2!! AT-ST drivers. Well if I win the lottery tommorrow I know what my first purchase will be  ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Well, you could probably get $1200 for the chases.  Not sure how you would recoup the remaining $2800.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:07 AM »
His Parco sandtroopers have dirt spots on their black pauldrons, whereas the DX3 trooper ones are clean. Interesting tidbit for variant fans...  :D

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:17 AM »
That's a crazy collection... 4 of the Boxed set Snowtroopers had to be pricey too!

Wasnt' the Parco Sandtrooper fairly limited (I don't pay that much attention to the carded figs)?  If so, he's got two of them and they are both opened. 

Anyway, that's an awesome collection that I'm glad I didn't pay for!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Figured this was as good a thread as any to discuss this.  My wife decided today that it would be a good idea to track all of our expenses and set up a budget moving forward.  Needless to say, the program she was using happened to catch all of the Kubrick purchases I've made over the last three months.  It ended up being over $1000.  The conversation did not go well after that :(

Looks like it's going to be a while until I make another purchase.  Good thing DX4 isn't going to hit until December or later.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Figured this was as good a thread as any to discuss this.  My wife decided today that it would be a good idea to track all of our expenses and set up a budget moving forward.  Needless to say, the program she was using happened to catch all of the Kubrick purchases I've made over the last three months.  It ended up being over $1000.  The conversation did not go well after that :(

Looks like it's going to be a while until I make another purchase.  Good thing DX4 isn't going to hit until December or later.

OUCH.  Sorry Man, that really sucks.  I went through something similar a few years back and things were pretty rough for a while.  Not SW related, but I took out a 401k loan to pay off our car loan.  Even though it saved us money in the long run, it was a big sum of money that I didn't discuss with her and it blew up in my face.  Eventually, time passes and things get better.  My wife eventually ended up spending a big chunk of change on something I didn't agree with and I think that evened things out for us.  Just lay low for a bit or maybe even sell off a few things you don't care about to drum up spending money for future purchases.  Good luck...
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:57 AM »
I'm happy that someone else has posted in this thread but I'm really sorry to hear what the post is about. I agree with JediJman on selling some stuff but make sure your wife knows about at least half of it so you can say "I'm getting a return on my investment" then she gets to see some dollars and you get to keep up the kubrick love.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 04:45 PM »
With today's viewing of the Hobbit trailer, I have fingers crossed that we will see some Hobbit kubricks coming out of Japan at some point...  I know that Mini Mates had the LOTR franchise rights, but it would be awesome to see these as Kubricks instead.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 06:11 PM »
With today's viewing of the Hobbit trailer, I have fingers crossed that we will see some Hobbit kubricks coming out of Japan at some point...  I know that Mini Mates had the LOTR franchise rights, but it would be awesome to see these as Kubricks instead.

So ar eyou finally out of the doghouse on Kubricks?  Pretty good timing with SWDX4 about to hit...

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:44 PM »
So ar eyou finally out of the doghouse on Kubricks?  Pretty good timing with SWDX4 about to hit...

It's hard to say.  I think I'm in a better place than I was a month ago.  We'll see what happens next month when DX4 hits and there's another $200-$500 missing from our account... ;D

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2012, 07:13 AM »
In terms of Kubrick releases from Medicom last year we didn't get much. Star Wars for example got 5 carded figures and DX3. No box sets or 400% figs. We didn't fair too well on none SW stuff either. The first half of the year was good as we got Iron Man and Toy Story sets and a few others I forget. However after DX3 we got Real Steel and not much else. Now here we are in January and no kubs on the horizon except DX4. Even if this months update yields more kub releases we'll no doubt have to wait a few months before we get them. I guess what I'm saying is I believe Medicom are scaling back their Kubrick series and focusing on bearbricks and other "art" based items that are cheaper to make.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2012, 07:16 AM by Symposium »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I think they have scaled back the last few years, but this year will probably be similar to last.  We already have SW Dx 4 coming out this month, and I'm sure we'll see more carded figures soon.  It's only a few days into January...that's not a lot of time to say they're going to release even less this year.  I can totally see them getting some other movies on the market...hopefully we'll see an Avengers series by the Summer!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2012, 09:33 AM »
We didn't fair too well on none SW stuff either. The first half of the year was good as we got Iron Man and Toy Story sets and a few others I forget.

Harry Potter Kubricks dropped in January 2011 too I believe.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Yeah the first six months of last year we had a good set of releases which we knew about in 2010. The second half of 2011 had almost nothing. So based on the way Medicom announce and then release we could have a good second half of 2012. Naturally we'll get carded figures at the shows as that is almost standard now.