Author Topic: Deluxe Series 2 - Hoth  (Read 138108 times)

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Series 2 - Hoth
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50 PM »
My Leia's legs are floppy, too.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38 AM »
My Leia's legs are floppy, too.

Not always a bad thing  ;)
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jonny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2010, 10:12 AM »
Where are all the AT-ST drivers on eBay???

Offline Sir Real

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Where are all the AT-ST drivers on eBay???

Since he's a chase figure and not a regular one, there are many many unmanned AT-ST's out there.  So, I imagine people are keeping him to pilot the BAF AT-ST's.  Really a bad move on Medicom's part to make this BAF vehicle pilot rare.  (Not to mention the other chase is an army builder...)

Also, he's a pretty neat looking figure anyway, so maybe sellers are holding on to him for themselves.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:23 PM by Sir Real »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2010, 10:18 PM »
For those who are thinking about tracking down the Hoth background/display: Don't. The artwork is pretty crude - almost like a watercolor/marker rendering so it all looks very "fuzzy". Definitely not worth a dime over BBTS $40 price. The Jabba palace one is much better in my opinion.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:27 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Interesting.  The cartoony style fits with the Kubricks more than the Jabba's Palace one did.  However, I agree, based on your photos, I could see people being disappointed with this one.  At least people like the Chases!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Well, we had our master case opening on Wednesday and I lucked out with the Chase Hoth Trooper.  Totally sweet variant and looks great with the rest of the set.  Still want to get that AT-ST Driver as well, but I'm happy to have one of them crossed off the list!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:29 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Well, we had our master case opening on Wednesday and I lucked out with the Chase Hoth Trooper.  Totally sweet variant and loosk great with the rest of the set.  Still want to get that AT-ST Driver as well, but I'm happy to have one of them crossed off the list!

Congrats Jman!  I still need to get both of them, but I'm in no hurry.  I've been bleeding money with respect to Kubricks lately and the 'boss' is starting to question my bookkeeping...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2010, 08:30 PM »
I'm liking this series, but I do wish Medicom had managed the chases and figure ratios differently.

I don't understand the AT-ST pieces being figure specific- that means they manufactured a whole heck of a lot more legs than the rest of the parts, and what is the sense in that? I do understand that people would want to be able to build an AT-ST by buying just the 6, but it seems like there should have been a way to make a second with the other 6 in the box. Heck, I would have liked 2 of each figure in the box of 12.

I'm just having a harder time with the more expensive boxes, and feeling like they had less in them  :-\ Give Leia a weapon, or lipstick tube, or something  ::)

But I do like the series- despite the two paragraphs of griping-  ;D

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2010, 10:08 PM »
I have wondered about that, too.  If memory serves, you could build just Jabba (though not his base) with the 4 more "common" figures.  So at least only the 3 per case figures would give you useless extras that no one could use.  But with the walker, those pieces will never serve any purpose unless a piece breaks or someone wants to build a diorama with wrecked walker parts strewn about the battlefield.  Maybe they could randomly rotate the parts, so you were guaranteed to get a complete BAF in every "box," but the parts that came with 1 per 12 figures in one "box" would come with a 2 or 3 per 12 in another.  At least then folks could make some use of the extra parts they had.  Others would want to buy them, and Walkers would be easier to "army build."

Another alternative would be sticking the 1 pers with non-BAF pieces or, like Jabba, parts that would improve the BAF but are not essential.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2010, 12:17 AM »
Opened my Series 2 tonight and I like them alright but disappointed that I got another Chewie, a variant Han, variant Snowtrooper and repaint in R-3PO

Luke and Leia are phenomenal...I'd rather have seen the AT-ST and Hoth Rebel in the main series and R-3PO and the Snowtrooper as chases.

Enough Chewbaccas already ::) :P

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2010, 05:41 PM »
I could definitely do with no more chewies for a while.   ::)  Agree with everyone on the pack-ins as well.  I guess it is inevitable with every box they've released having at least 3x of one figure (if not more).  I'm sure there is added cost to mix pieces/figures, so I don't think they will end up doing that or dropping to 2x of each figure, but it would be nice.  Many people buy single pieces or 6pc sets, so imagine the frustration on the other side if you bought all 6 basic figures and couldn't make the AT-ST because your Chewie was the one with the wrong piece.  I do think there are a few options though...

#1 - they could make the pieces completely random.  It's added cost, but talk about a smart way to get people to buy extra figures.  Many people are happy with just a basic set of 6, so that's maybe a way to lure people into buying a few extra figures.  Might backfire into upsetting collectors, but I think they'd make out with the added volume per buyer.

#2 - what if they dropped the box size for deluxe down to 6 pieces, one of each figure?  You'd probably have to pay more than what it currently costs for 6, but you'd have 1 of each piece in there even if you get a chase figure.  If you buy a 6pc box, you won't have extra pieces and if you get a chase, you're probably not as frustrated about having to pay for that missing figure - no more than a 1:12 opposite-chase like Amanaman anyway.  I know this is similar to just putting 2x of each figure in a box, but I Think they could make it more appealing for people to just buy a set with no extra figures to get the BAF.

The practice of having "extra pieces" isn't really anything new for Mediacom, so I wouldn't plan on them fixing it anytime soon.  You could equally argue that anyone buying a box of S5 had extra Jedi Lukes and Cloaks with no good use for them.  Sure, some people might just want Luke, but I think that's probably pretty rare - I still have a bunch of extras. 

The pieces aren't that big - I wouldn't be surprised to see someone mold the rarer pieces and get them out there to build additional walkers at some point.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Anyone who wants to drop $160 on the Hoth Rebel Trooper chase can head over to Ningyoushi to get it:

Ningyoushi Hoth Rebel Trooper
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Finally got around to opening the 2nd Han Hoth and giving him some series 2 Han hair- that ends up being one excellent looking figure! Too bad Luke has the painted on chin straps  :-\

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Finally got around to opening the 2nd Han Hoth and giving him some series 2 Han hair- that ends up being one excellent looking figure! Too bad Luke has the painted on chin straps  :-\

That's a good idea, I didn't think about making a hoodless DX2 Han. Now I guess I have to pick up another Han with hair somewhere.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird