Author Topic: Deluxe Series 3 - Tatooine  (Read 132691 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Series 3 - Tatooine
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Good deal snagging the Hammerhead.  He's a great figure.

I will say, when I told my wife how much they were selling for on eBay she about fell over and asked me why I wasn't selling the one I got.

She'd then want you to buy her some fancy jewelry with it.  ;) And congrats on yours, Brent.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Congrats Justin...  not a bad price I must say... 8)

I got a breakdown of the full cost today.  After fees and 2x shipping, it came to $325 (shipping was helped a little because I have a few other items coming from Japan as well).  Not shabby.

These things have held their value pretty well, so if push came to shove, it is nice to know that you could probably get your money back on most items.  Obviously rereleases like Han/Luke Trooper are a bummer.  Brent - you can use that logic with your wife to let her know it will be worth a lot for years to come, so you're diversifying your investment portfolio.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Congrats on the Hammerhead score, Justin!  :)

I saw that Brian's Toys at one point sold an Owen for $110, so maybe watch that site and other online retailers in case another one pops up.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Congrats on the Hammerhead score, Justin!  :)

I saw that Brian's Toys at one point sold an Owen for $110, so maybe watch that site and other online retailers in case another one pops up.

Thanks Mike!  Did you actually see it sell or just see a new listing for it?  I've been watching them as well, but not sure that they actually got anything in stock.  I emailed them a few times and the purchasing guy was a little clueless about chases for Dx3.  He said he'd keep an eye out, but that they hadn't received any chases yet.  I think the Dx2 and Dx3 chases were listed, but not sure what they actually sold versus place holders.  At this point I would think they'd up the price if they actually got something in stock.  If they did get one and sold it for that, it was a steal!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Did you actually see it sell or just see a new listing for it?

I just saw it listed as out of stock, but they had/have the regular set for sale as well as a background display (for an excessive $110.) So I figured  they must've opened up a master case or something, had Owen for a short time and then somebody snapped it up. But yeah maybe it's a place holder cuz that price does seem low compared to their usual gouging.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2011, 08:20 PM »
At this point I would think they'd up the price if they actually got something in stock.  If they did get one and sold it for that, it was a steal!

Not that I want to defend Brian's Toys in any way, but you may remember when the Series 4 Veers was Out of Stock for years and then magically was In Stock one day.  They never ended up increasing the price from the original and I was able to steal it for $80 at the time.  So I don't think it's out of the question that if they did end up getting another Owen in stock that they would keep the price at $110.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline ceedrus

• Youngling
  • You truly belong here with us among the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2011, 09:52 PM »
 :) that was me that snapped up Owen from Brians Toys.  it was 119 then i got 15 dollars off with a coupon code. i couldn't resist. Now just need hammerhead ... which i believe i would have a better chance of winning the lottery. I have a quick question for you guys .. when you say you got it off a japanese auction.. what are they and where do you find them? sorry for the newbie question.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57 PM »
I have a quick question for you guys .. when you say you got it off a japanese auction.. what are they and where do you find them? sorry for the newbie question.

Here you go:

i dont think any of them do international shipping... just get a Celga account.. you can win the auctions that way.

http://www.celga.com/index.php?page=goldfaq
that explains why some of you guys pay so much for your figs... good luck and happy bidding

Open an account and you can bid on Yahoo Japan auctions.  Jman opened an account on another site so I'll let him respond with that info...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2011, 10:52 PM »
I checked out Celga, but had a tough time deciphering all the Japanese.  Their instructions are much clearer, but I signed up for a site called One Japan http://onejp-yahoo.com

Both sites and possibly others act as an agent for you to bid on auctions in Japan.  You can search through these auctions, very similar to Ebay. 

Here's how it works with ONEJP:
- Register with the site
- Search the auctions to find items you're interested in (I typically search for "Star Wars Kubrick")
- If you find something you want to bid on, you first have to send money via paypal.  Plan on sending $50-75 extra, there is supposedly no charge to refund the money back to you later
- Once you have enough in your account, you can bid on an auction.  What you're really doing is asking ONEJP to make the bid for you.  When they see your bid request, they will make the bid on the auction as your representative.

Costs:
- The auction price is clearly laid out.  Some are even buy-it-now.  My Hammerhead was listed as $222 starting price or $281 BIN.  Ignore the fees listed off to the right.  Here's what you will really pay:
   - Auction Price
   - Shipping in Japan (The seller ships the item to your agent).  This is listed at like $27, but ends up being more like $5-7
   - Bank Transfer Fee of $7 (unavoidable no matter how you pay)
   - Comission Fee for your agent, ONEJP.  This is how they make their money.  You pay either 10% of the auction price or a minimum of $21
   - ONEJP then ships the item to you and charges about $20-25

So, at minimum, plan on about $55 ($7 + $7 + $21 + $20) added to the price of your auction.  It really isn't worth it for smaller cost items, though they will hold multiple winnings to save you money on the final US shipping.  I won three diffferent auctions, so deferring the $21 shipping across three items cuts the price down to $7 each.  Here was the cost breakdown for my Hammerhead:

$280 Auction + $5 Japan Shipping + $7 Bank Fee + $28 Commission + $7 US Shipping = $327 (I pumped $375 into my ONEJP account via paypal to make sure I had enough money)

Keep in mind that I have yet to receive any items or try out the bank refund.  My Hammerhead should be there in a few days and then I'll have my lot sent out.  I think I'll take a break for a while unless I see an AT-ST Driver or something.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:56 PM by JediJman »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Just a follow-up to this- I think Celga only requires you to have 50% of your bid price in the account to make a bid.  For example, if you want to bid up to $200 on something, you only need to put $100 in your celga account,  Sith - correct me if that's not right.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38 PM »
Just a follow-up to this- I think Celga only requires you to have 50% of your bid price in the account to make a bid.  For example, if you want to bid up to $200 on something, you only need to put $100 in your celga account,  Sith - correct me if that's not right.

Spot on.  And if you end up not winning an auction, you request a refund and they usually process it in about a day or two after the request goes in.  I've made six bids with them and gotten my refunds back very quickly for the five I didn't win.  I have yet to receive my invoice for my item, so I don't have as much detail about the fees and how they breakdown.  I'll let you know once I do though.

Offline zachdms

• Youngling
  • more kubricks, plz
    • View Profile
    • zachd.com
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2011, 12:45 AM »
Got my box from NSC: no chases.  I love that the Landspeeder is to scale-ish. :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Updated...

No chases:
Jeff (HLJ) 1 Box
Justin (HLJ) 2 Boxes
Adrian (HLJ) 1 Box
Morgbug (HLJ) 1 Box
Ceedrus (BBTS) 1 Box
Adrian (BBTS) 1 Box
Zachdms (NCS) 1 Box
I Am Sith (NCS) 1 Box
Kaysui (Direct) 1 Box

Owen Lars Chase:
Outkast34 (HLJ) 1 Box
Kaysui (Direct) 1 Box

Momaw!
Brent S (NCS) - the most hated man at JD

Unknown:
Tiny?

3:13 boxes ...right on track.  Chases came from NCS and HLJ, nothing from BBTS thus far.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:24 PM by JediJman »

Offline ceedrus

• Youngling
  • You truly belong here with us among the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. Gonna have to pay the bills before I dive into the hammerhead hunt.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Updated...

Looks like you left I am Sith off the list by accident.