Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con 2009  (Read 24890 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2009
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2009, 12:27 PM »
The thing is, and I shouldn't be surprised, that I've tried to point this out to some very reasonable people and they keep insisting that Stan is the man. Oh, well.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2009, 12:32 PM »
I think all one needs to do is look at Rebelscums "rumor" list.  You only have to throw 100 darts, get three bullseyes and become a legitimate source. 

And all you have to do is dismiss the other 97 with a simple "my source says they've been moved to a later wave/year", that way if they come out later, you still get credit!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2009, 12:49 PM »
I have it on good authority from a secret unnamed contact deep within the bowels of one of Hasbro's Asian factories that a gigantic Space Slug hand puppet, to scale with the big ass Falcon, is, let's just say, targeted for a release in the middle of next year to commemorate the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back.  The details are currently being worked out now, but this thing looks amazing.  It is huge, it's massive, and will probably come in at around 400 clams or so, so start saving up now!

Just remember:  If it comes true, you heard it here first.  If it doesn't, don't blame me, blame my secret unnamed contact in the Orient.  I'm just the messenger.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:51 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2009, 04:36 PM »
BMF Slave 1 is coming!!!!  Be prepared to ee it at Comic-Con!!!

No it's not. I just got out of the panel. Someone asked about it. It's not coming.

I just rewatched the panel and I can't clearly hear what the question was but Hasbro immedietley starts talking about "other" bounty hunter's ships from ESB, no mention of the Slave I in their answer.

I'm pretty sure the question specifically illuded to the Slave 1, thus Hasbro's "other" responce.

Either way, Comic-Con has come and gone and no Slave 1.

I shouldn't give Stan such a hard time, after all, he did call it on the At-St. But, there are a few things that have been predicted over the years which have come nowhere close to being true. Right now, the Slave 1 seems to be a miss-step, and I specifically remember a totally new speeder bike from a few years back. There are a lot of people who take his predictions as insider knowledge.

I with respect, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I'm trying to figure out how much stock to put into Stan's "insider" knowledge. If I'm being too critical, or just plain wrong, someone, please call me out.

I personally asked the Speederbike question to Hasbro (even asking for a clear stand for them so they "hover"), and they seemed receptive...  So does that make me a soothsayer too? :)  Same with the Snowspeeder, something I personally asked in our Q&A and they were receptive.  And, I also asked about the AT-ST getting redone and they were receptive (then, I believe, it was mentioned as a rumor as well some months later)...  Kind of a coinkydink, isn't it?

I think the majority of the "lists" that get out there are just people's wishlists.  Put some logic into your wishing, and ask for Bom Vimdin, the other Duros, a black tuniced Imperial Officer, etc., and you will probably get a number of your list right, and sooner rather than later...  The rest are all, "well hasbro changed their list internally so those got bumped", type BS, as noted.  You can even combine your lists with Q&A hints, etc., and suddenly you look like you know something, especially to the guy that just started collecting in 2007.

I'll be honest though, looking at Scott's list he copied, it's sad that all that stuff is even remotely being swirled around as "rumor".  I remember a time when ACTUAL rumors got out in very sparse numbers in a year, and lists never got that big.  It's sad really, as it's used to somehow entertain the less informed and keep them hooked.  I'm always up for seeing rumor lists, but this year it really seemed to spiral out of control, and it's just turned into obvious wishing by a lot of these "sources", who haven't earned any credibility I can see.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59 PM »
If you read between the lines they gave "No Slave 1 unless it appears in the Cartoon..."
The new trailer features Mandalorians so the chances may be pretty good of a big one happening. It may be next year or it could be the final big wow surprise later in the year just in time for Christmas. You never know but I things the chance are rather slim for this year.

I would love to see a commercial for the giant ESB space slug. I can see the exciting feature list:
- Electronic L & S!
- Chomping Jaw action!
- Soft rubber material on the inside!
- Missle Firing Mynocks!
- Vibrating convulsion action to shake the **** out of everything!
- Meteor converts into a bean bag to sit on to watch the TV show & movies!
- Works with the BMF!!!

They may be able to pull this off in the Fur-Real Friends line like Butterscotch. Matt nice find, can you ask your source to see how that gigantic Bespin Chamber is coming along?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:00 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2009, 05:03 PM »
this thing looks amazing.  It is huge, it's massive, and will probably come in at around 400 clams

That's what she said.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2009, 05:08 PM »
Looks like I too can be considered a prophet of sorts...

FYI. Captain Needa's head fits on the Rebel ground crewman's body and the Death Star Trooper's helmet fits on the crewman's head too.

:D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:09 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2009, 06:27 PM »

I'll be honest though, looking at Scott's list he copied, it's sad that all that stuff is even remotely being swirled around as "rumor".  I remember a time when ACTUAL rumors got out in very sparse numbers in a year, and lists never got that big.  It's sad really, as it's used to somehow entertain the less informed and keep them hooked.  I'm always up for seeing rumor lists, but this year it really seemed to spiral out of control, and it's just turned into obvious wishing by a lot of these "sources", who haven't earned any credibility I can see.

And therein lies the problem when you have dozens of people who think their **** don't stink because that one time their guess became reality, when all they did was throw the proverbial dart at the board and hit something that was obvious. The rumor mill nowaday is mostly full of ****, not even fun to look at any more. Once in a while something interesting will pop up and half the internets will claim they knew about it first while the other half claims it's bull****. And unlike most things in life, the truth usually isn't somewhere in the middle...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2009, 06:52 PM »
The Hasbro guys were actually surprised by the recent Rick McCallum quote regarding the live action series.  McCallum was quoted recently as saying Boba Fett will be a player in the live action show.  But Hasbro knew nothing about that, and hasn't seen anything about the series in general.  And actor Daniel Logan (who played Boba in AOTC) didn't know anything either.

Hasbro did say that if Boba's a player in the new show, then it gives a new Slave I a big chance for a refit.  But it's a big if, rather than when.

Jesse, regarding the Snowspeeder - Hasbro has confirmed it multiple times in the Q&A.  And it should be ready to be unveiled in time for Toy Fair.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:53 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2009, 06:58 PM »
I think all one needs to do is look at Rebelscums "rumor" list.  You only have to throw 100 darts, get three bullseyes and become a legitimate source. 

And all you have to do is dismiss the other 97 with a simple "my source says they've been moved to a later wave/year", that way if they come out later, you still get credit!

In all fairness, this actually really does happen.  I've seen actual Hasbro lists and things just get moved around or canceled due to the massive lead times.  (And yeah, sometimes "ZOMG SECRET INSIDE SOURCES" are just dead wrong.)  But Hasbro can and does change their mind on these things, I wouldn't put it past them to do it out of spite (I would) but who knows.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Jesse, regarding the Snowspeeder - Hasbro has confirmed it multiple times in the Q&A.  And it should be ready to be unveiled in time for Toy Fair.

I figured as much since they've mentioned it in the Q&A several times (my question, and others), plus next year being the 30th anniversary for ESB...  Makes sense.  I don't recall them saying 2010, but it's kind of like a few other items that you can surmise by the Q&A as coming within the next year or two, not "we'd like to get to that, someday" which I've always felt means it's not likely in the planned or near-planned future.

Hell, I could go by Scott's Fan's Choice votes he runs here on JD, and I could start saying, "We're getting ____ soon, and ____ soon, and ____ soon", and so on.  His project here on the site has yielded pretty stunning results in figures getting made over the years.  A lot of that is simply logical thinking.

That's just the thing though...  There's a LOT people could guess on and probably get right based on just a little pondering...  That you don't get right, you can just say, "well it was coming but things changed".  That's what makes a lot of rumor lists bunk IMO.  If there were better track records, better %'s correct year-in and year-out, I'd be more interested in what folks had to say.  Like CorranHorn said above though, anyone who gets some guess right is seemingly all of a sudden an "insider".

Bologna.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 5, 2009, 11:27 AM »
So what was everyone's favorite item(s) shown at SDCC?  I was going to start a seperate thread for this, but since the majority of the year's offerings were saved/shown in San Diego, I guess it fits here as well.  Although I guess I was expecting some sort of "big" surprise (like a realistic Jabba w/dais, a "BMF" Slave 1 or AT-AT, etc.) - I think overall the offerings looked pretty great.

The Legacy Collection basic figures look great overall I think.  So many that I'm looking forward to, and lots of OT goodness - which had sort of been missing over the past couple years, until this year.  Willrow Hood is obviously a big highlight, and I'm also look forward to Snowspeeder Luke, Zuckuss, DS Luke, Slave Leia, TPM Obi-Wan, well...basically all of them.  The OT-based waves in particular I think are great.  The TPM wave, which we've seen for awhile now, still looks good too and the ROTS figures look nice, if maybe a bit boring.

Although this isn't the forum for it, the Clone Wars stuff looks good too.  They seem to be released at a reasonable pace of like four new figures per wave, so it isn't bad to keep up with.  I was thinking of abandoning this line, but I'm continuing to pick up some from each wave.  Looking forward to the next season, and the toys are turning out to be a nice line overall.

As for "other" stuff (thinking Hasbro here since this is that forum), I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most is the new Dewback or the AT-ST.  They both scare me since they are WM exclusives, and we don't have great luck with those around here, but they both look like great re-dos.  This is something I hope we see more of in the future, and as an OT fan they are sort of the highlight for me.  I've been hoping for OT beast re-dos for awhile now, and the BMF Falcon made me hope for more OT ships done in that style as well.  Here's hoping the anniversary of ESB brings about an all-new Taun Taun and Snowspeeder next year :).  One more sort of "under the radar" item that I'm sort of excited about is the "Resurgence of the Jedi" battle pack.  This is one thing we hadn't actually heard about/seen before as far as I know, and it looks like a nicely done pack.  We finally get the version of R2 we've been asking for, as well as a closer to "ultimate" Tatooine Luke that - even after all the previous versions - we've been lacking.  Oh, and the Galactic Heroes Slave 1 is pretty sweet too.

Disappointments...well, the lack of anything too surprising I guess, but that's the age we live in anymore.  The battle packs are starting to get disappointing with price increases and "less" overall in them.  The gelagrub pack really looks sparse for $25.  Also, although I'll likely pick up most to all of them, the Droid Factory (WM) and Geonosis (Target) 2 packs just don't seem quite as exciting this year.  The highlight of those for me are the new battle droids (and astromechs in the WM packs), but they just seem a little more "meh" this year.  Nothing too surprising on the vehicle front either.  I'm really surprised we haven't seen word of a "Twilight" vehicle with it being featured so much in Clone Wars (and plenty "aggressive" as Hasbro likes to state).

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 5, 2009, 05:00 PM »
I basically agree with you, Brian, as it seems Wal-Mart is the big winner here.  The AT-ST, Octopurra Droid, and Dewback all look excellent as do the new Comic Packs.  Seeing as Target is getting some repaints/retools and those Geonosis sets and Toys "R" Us... yeah.   Despite owning all 4 different modern-era AT-STs, I'm really excited to get my hands on one of this new one.

And Lumiya.   Yes.  Plus the ROTJ wave looks excellent, but I'm heavily biased toward ROTJ anything these days.

Historically (since 2003 at least), higher-dollar Wal-Mart exclusives have been (for me at least) easier to get.  Last year's Gunship, the blue-box TIE Bomber, etc.  So I'm feeling pretty good about these.

I also have to agree that the lack of Twilight is striking.  Were I a betting man I'd put a fiver down on the next item to appear in the assortment with the Y-Wing and ARC 170, if the SKU carries through the holidays into the new year.
--AP

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 5, 2009, 08:28 PM »
I'm still a carded collector at this point, so I never really have any comments on how great or poorly a figure looks, but the AT-ST was the highlight for me.  I just hope it gets a better paint job then what was shown in the boxed sample in the slideshow.  Ick.

I also have to agree that the lack of Twilight is striking.  Were I a betting man I'd put a fiver down on the next item to appear in the assortment with the Y-Wing and ARC 170, if the SKU carries through the holidays into the new year.

Good point.  I would have thought for sure that we'd get the Twilight before the bomber, but I'm not complaining.  Got kinda attached to the new funky ship during the toon shows.  Hopefully Anakin and Ahsoka don't ditch the Twilight in favor of the bomber in season 2.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 5, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Good point.  I would have thought for sure that we'd get the Twilight before the bomber, but I'm not complaining.  Got kinda attached to the new funky ship during the toon shows.  Hopefully Anakin and Ahsoka don't ditch the Twilight in favor of the bomber in season 2.

I'd wager it has to do with recognition-- people have basically known what a Y-wing is for nearly 32 years, plus-- and how disgusting is this?-- the Clone Wars Y-wing Bomber will be the first non-exclusive action figure-sized Y-wing toy since the 1983 original.

I hope they can cram the Twilight into the $65-$80 price point.  Just thinking about the cockpit alone, you've got to have seating for two figures and maybe some cargo area for R2 to putter around.  I guess it might fit in the box OK if the wings pop off... or maybe it'd be the 2010 Big Expensive Ship.
--AP