Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227770 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #1095 on: June 15, 2014, 10:37 PM »
I dropped my pre-order when they gave us the option. Just didn't seem worth the price after I thought about it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 25, 2014, 10:32 PM »
I just posted in the Joe thread about Gentle Giant doing the "Jumbo" treatment to the vintage Joe line, and now it looks like Mattel is doing the same thing with MOTU.  Sounds like this line will be kicking off later this year with He-Man and Skeletor (complete with vintage packaging) with Stratos and Beastman to follow I believe.  While it might be cool to have a couple, I wonder how this large scale stuff will catch on.  Its neat and all, but display space (or storage) isn't exactly something a lot of collectors have a ton of anyways.  The 12" stuff eats that up pretty quickly.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1097 on: July 29, 2014, 12:09 PM »
The head sculpts seem off and the packaging is not collector friendly or an exact replica of the originals.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 18, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Is anyone here picking up the new "Filmation" line of MOTU figures? I had hoped to get the He-Man at least, but missed it when it went on sale Monday. I kind of dig the figures, but can't really do the whole subscription thing anymore.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1099 on: February 22, 2016, 04:23 PM »
I didn't do the Filmation subscription. I am ready to be done with MOTUC and rehashes of less detailed figures wasn't for me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 23, 2016, 02:56 PM »
I haven't had a chance to read all the details yet, but it sounds like MattyCollector is getting shut down at the end of the year, with the MOTU figures shifting to Super7. The Thundercats line appears to be cancelled, although the four or so planned out for 2016 will come out. Big changes in store for those lines. Honestly I haven't bought any He-Man figures recently, and was pretty happy with my collection. I sort of wanted the Filmation He-Man, but missed out so I just moved on.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 24, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Yeah, nice that it is continuing in some form for those that are interested. But I think it bodes ill for people like me that were really into what Super7 was doing before, namely ReAction figures. MOTU was literally all they wanted to talk about in San Diego.

And man, that He-man cartoon they cooked up was just painful.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 15, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Not sure if this belongs best here or not, but is anyone collecting the "vintage" Masters of the Universe figures from Super 7? They are basically recreations of the original figures but in sort of an animated Filmation style. I picked up the He-Man and Skeletor, and they are pretty neat. Maybe even a little more solid than the vintage ones. They seem a little pricey at $20 each, so not sure if I will continue on or not. Just wondering if anyone else had looked at these.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 17, 2019, 11:39 PM »
Probably more news to come this weekend, but if anyone has seen the Prince Adam/He-Man SDCC exclusive from Mattel, it is apparently a previews of what is to come in 2020. Pixel Dan posted a pic of a vintage inspired Skeletor in the same style that is apparently part of a RETAIL line titled MOTU origins, $14.99 each. I'm definitely interested....

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1104 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59 AM »
I bought in on Classics really really heavily, so I’m really not interested in starting another line, even if it is at retail. I haven’t bought anything Super 7 has offered, other than He-Ro and Eldor. I’m hoping I can pick up the Classics I missed for a reasonable price now, but we’ll see. I’m more interested in toys for the movie, and I know how much trouble Mattel has at retail. Just trying to avoid another cluster**** like the 200x line.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 18, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Is there any toy license more confusing than this one?? There’s like eight different lines going now. I thought Mattel relinquished all rights to Super 7? Now they are doing stuff in exactly the same scale?!

I don’t see how you figure out what to collect if you are a fan of this stuff!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1106 on: July 18, 2019, 08:05 AM »
I’m thinking Super 7 is done, after they deliver the last of their Filmation 5.5” dudes. The Reaction and a Classics are (probably) finished too. Super 7 has nothing MOTU at SDCC this year, so...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 18, 2019, 09:36 PM »
I bought in on Classics really really heavily, so I’m really not interested in starting another line, even if it is at retail. I haven’t bought anything Super 7 has offered, other than He-Ro and Eldor. I’m hoping I can pick up the Classics I missed for a reasonable price now, but we’ll see. I’m more interested in toys for the movie, and I know how much trouble Mattel has at retail. Just trying to avoid another cluster**** like the 200x line.

When I first came to post this here, I thought "I bet Ben will be excited by this news too", but I get where you are coming from. I was "all in" on Classics for quite awhile as well, before finally dropping the sub and trying my luck getting the random figure here or there as they were released (not great luck overall). I think, all in all, I got pretty much the majority of characters I would want for me to be "complete". Off the top of my head, I just missed out on Jitsu and Kobra Khan. The only Classics I've bought since the switch to Super 7 are the Filmation He-Man and Skeletor. I've also been picking up the 5.5 "retro" figures from them, but thinking about stopping now knowing these are in the way. (Plus, $20 often seemed kind of steep for those).

Although I still have my Classics on display, I think at $15 each I am likely in on these. I just love the vintage homage look to these (packaging as well), and I think they look pretty fun. I'll have to see where I'm at with collecting in a year, but I'm interested so far. Two more reveals today, Evil Lyn and Teela.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 19, 2019, 11:15 PM »
And....Today's reveals Man-At-Arms and Beast Man.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 21, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I'm disappointed no Mer-Man was shown, that's one character that would win me over. I'm sure he'll be in the wave after these.  I still  have some vintage MOTU items, so new figures in the same scale might interest me.

Also, Macho Man Randy Savage in battle armor will be a fine addition to Eternia. LOL.