Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227800 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2006, 02:06 AM »

:o
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Webstor is looking awesome, I was expecting something different for Leech.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2006, 01:50 AM »
More new MOTU stuff from SDCC.

I just realized something- this staction line has almost outlasted Mattel's half-assed action figure line. And they haven't put out a single He-Man or Skeletor.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2006, 04:18 PM »
The new stuff is looking good. Hope i get an Evil Lyn from SDCC sometime soon.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2006, 03:00 AM »
I found EL on sale at littleplasticmen for about $50. It's damn tempting, but I think I'll wait till after WWC or until the regular-release in modern colors is released. They're on ebay now for around $50-70, which has to go down as time passes.

Plus, who knows what might happen after Wizard World?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2007, 03:10 PM »
Just saw a couple new pics at Wizard of the next batch of MOUT statues/figures coming from the Four Horsemen.  You can see protos HERE of King Randor and Jitsu.  Its kind of neat seeing Jitsu get the treatment as well, I actually had his action figure as a kid - a number of face offs between Fisto and Jitsu :P.

Offline pakledjim

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2007, 03:46 PM »
This is a great line, I just wish more places sold them. I haven't bought any since wave 2.

jiM
traded with:darthmaul94, Big Mac, Captain J Sparrow, starwax137,

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2007, 12:51 AM »
Me neither. I want to get them, but when I think about it, it's hard to spend $60 on a set of these things that were supposed to be action figures and aren't.

It's pretty sad that NECA can make an expensive line of statues last longer than the action figure line.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2007, 10:51 AM »
NECA announced that the SDCC exclusive will be a classic colors He-Man. It looks pretty cool.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2007, 01:09 AM »
Agreed.

I want one. I'll be wasting SO much bank on con exclusives this year, it's not even funny. But this piece looks worth the money.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2007, 11:02 AM »
I was looking through our DVDs for something to watch while I'm running on the treadmill here at home, and pulled out the "Best of" He-Man DVD that came out awhile back (it has the "Top 10" as voted on from the fans).  Man, watching those old toons really brought back some memories.  Sure, it can be a little silly - but it also has a simplicity and fun that not many toons these days have it seems.  It really is too bad Mattel screwed up the modern line so badly.  I was going through this thread today, and looking at the pics that Scott posted of his figures before he sold them, they sure were nice looking figures.  Heck, even though they used pretty much the same body for all the vintage figures, I still enjoyed the heck out of those as well.  I kind of wish I would have been collecting/paying closer attention when they did those commemorative series figures (vintage re-releases) back in the day.  Who knows, maybe we'll see something again if the rumored movie gets to theaters.  I still have most of my vintage figures, but after going through my brother as well, they are for the most part "less than complete".  Its made me want to look into picking up a few loose complete vintage figures, but I guess I have enough other things to spend money on right now :P.  Anyways, just had to post after watching those old toons - the 80s were a good time for those toon/toys combo - He-Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2007, 12:57 PM »
Yeah, I really like that cartoon. I have the entire MOTU series on DVD, including the Best Of, and its willingness to be nothing more than it is makes it wonderful. Sure, it was preachy in its morals and was clearly intended to sell toys, but it never aspired for more than that.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Exactly right Ben.  I was telling my wife about the little "life lessons" they have at the end of the episodes, and she made a good point - maybe kids these days could use some of those, the way we got them when we were kids.  I've often thought of picking up the DVD season sets as well, or at least one or two of them, but didn't have the money when they came out.  Hopefully eventually I can do that.  I really regret skipping the Joe (and Transformer) sets when they came out - and now they cost an arm and a leg.

I was looking at some He-Man stuff this morning, and remember the comm. series re-releases being out - how much did they cost at retail back then?  Just curious.  I kind of wish I would have picked some of those up then, but at that time the thought of affording anything beyond Star Wars figures was a dream (finishing college, getting married, buying a house all within three months time :P).  Anyways, again, good points - for as much as they make fun of these old toons on shows like I Love the 80s, maybe more toons today could stand to be simpler and teach a good lesson :).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2007, 10:59 PM »
I only found the Commemoratives at KB, WM and TRU. WM wanted $10-11, and TRU and KB were around $12-13. Online retailers were just getting started back then, so if you actually found a site that had them for sale, they were about $20 each just for them being so limited. These things disappeared fast. Only one or two cases ever showed at any store, and you had to be there right away to get them. Some employee at KB almost refused to sell me some of them because he wanted them for himself. It's any wonder they're broke.

I have a complete single carded set of both series, as well as the Battle Cat and Panthor packs which ran about $20 at WM. Never did get the TRU or JCPenney exclusives, and I regret it now, since those are the most valuable pieces in the line (read: ones I can't afford.)

If I had to part with my collection for any reason, these would be the only things I kept.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 1, 2007, 09:24 AM »
The only Comm figures I picked up (and still have) are the He-man/Battle Cat and Skeletor/Panthor 2-packs. While I wanted the rest I really didn't have the space or $ at the time. And what I could never figure out is why the 2-packs were only $20 while the individual figures were $12. It just seemed weird but I wasn't complaining.  ;D