Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227744 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2003, 09:50 AM »
I hate variants...they are useless to adult collectors IMO...it all goes back to the age old question of who is buying this stuff, kids or adults.  The quantity of variants I already see warming the pegs lends me to believe that it is the adults.

Fisto and Zodak look awesome as do the Snake Men

I eventually want to see: Sorceress, Jitsu, Webstor and Stinkor

Stinkor is probably my all time favorite figure...the dude smelled what an awesome idea

There are very few of the original first couple of Masters left to do (pre-Horde) which is awesome and about I'll collect since that was all I bought as a kid as well

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2003, 01:08 PM »
Well, while out shopping this weekend I looked around for a regular He-Man and/or Skeletor to purchase to start off the collection (and see if I want to continue), but I wasn't able to find any.  I see that KBToys.com has the He-Man for sale, do you think that would be the best/cheapest route if I can't find one in stores anymore?  I really want to start collecting this line, but still not sure if I can afford it (and I know I don't have the space right now).  If I do, I would be like some of you...strictly ones from the old days.  I wouldn't be buying any variants, or any new characters, just the redos of the ones from when I was a kid.  I wanted to get He-Man first, and then take it from there.  I'm really looking forward to the Zodac figure (does anyone know when this is supposed to be released?), and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any other figures around here.  So far, the only ones I've seen (since I've started looking that is), were Tri-Klops, Mekanek, Smash Blade He-Man, Spin Blade Skeletor, and an Orko.  I'll probably end up getting some of those eventually, but just wanted to have a figure, in-hand first to see if I like them enough.  Thanks for all the comments and/or pics any of you post...I appreciate the help in learning more about the line.

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2003, 07:01 PM »
I've started to collect the new MOTU line and so far I like what I'm seeing.  SW is still my main line,  so I am slowly adding to my MOTU collection.   I do agree with one thing,  all the versions of He-Man and Skeletor are a bit redundant.  

BTW,  does anyone know of a good web site featuring the new MOTU product?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2003, 11:05 AM »
Try either

www.americandreamcomics.com

Or

www.he-man.org

Check the he-man.org forums, the place on the net to talk MOTU!  They also have most of the various pictures from around the net on the forums somewhere, trouble is usually finding them

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2003, 10:42 PM »
Thanks OCB! ;D

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2003, 12:32 AM »
yeah, those Snakemen rule.

i especially want Rattlor.
he was my favorite figure back in the day.

and when i sold the old ones a few years ago he was the only one i kept.

i hope the new one rattles too.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2003, 01:59 AM »
I suggest going to .org's forums and taking a look at what's being shipped with Evil-Lyn in the new villain cases. I won't link, because the horrors are too great for eyes so young. :-X

Goodbye, MOTU.
So much potential, so little anything else.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 02:00 AM by HMI »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2003, 09:47 AM »
Here is what HMI is talking about...horrible

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2003, 09:56 AM »
You know, that Merman isn't all that bad.  What color was his chest protector originally? (the lime green part) It might make a good alternate for people who couldn't find him before or are getting into this line late.

The Skeletor is blasphemy all around.

Tri-Klops would be ok if it weren't for the neon green highlights.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2003, 10:29 AM »
Yeah, when I first heard of the rereleases, I thought...this might be a great way for me to catch up since I'm getting into the line late....but these are terrible IMO.  Like Mikey D said, the Merman isn't that bad, but I'm not a fan of the other two.  Are they offering repaints of all the original figures now?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2003, 10:34 AM »
So far it is just Skeletor, Mer-Man, Tri-Klops and Ram-Man

Man at Arms is also

Ram-Man doesn't look too bad either with some gold details

I was going to order a few cases from AFX to try and pick up Zodak, Roboto, Man-E-Faces, Buzz Off, Evil Lyn and such but I am seriosuly contemplating retiring too from the line...Mattel is worse than Hasbro and Toy Biz put together and that is saying something

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2003, 12:56 PM »
Eventually, Mattel's going to run out of coffin nails. I think this line's living on borrowed time as it is without crap like this.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2003, 03:30 PM »
in an interview with some mattel director on figures.com
he said he thinks the line has the power to run to 2050...

i think he's beyond insane..

we are still getting new figures, and not just repaints and variants, so i'm happy with that so far.
its sad that Keldor will only have been an exclusive though, i'd love to have gotten one.
oh well, we can only hope its made to be an exclusive at another time.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2003, 04:59 PM »
Well, I finally picked up my first figure of this line, the one that started it all, He-Man himself.  This figure is incredibly old news to most (if not all) of you, but I wanted to start somewhere, and I figured, what better place than He-Man?  I really like the looks of these figures, and I hope I am able to continue collecting them.  I know it will be difficult getting into the line so late, so I'm not sure how it will work out.  I'm just going to chip away a little bit at a time (my collecting budget is mainly devoted to Star Wars stuff, so I can only do a figure here and there).  How difficult do you think it will be to catch up on the regular characters (no variants, exclusives, etc.)?  What would be the cheapest route to take?  We are headed out shopping this weekend I think, so I might see what's available after I check out the SW section.  I am hoping to maybe find the original Battle Cat as well, but we will see.  And of course, I'd really like to find some of the newer waves (Buzz-Off, Man-E, Prince Adam, Whiplash, Sy-Klone, etc.), but it doesn't sound like they are showing up real regularly yet from what I have read?  Anyways, thanks for continuing to discuss the line...and hopefully this repaint mess, as well as the past case packing problems won't ruin it for everyone.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2003, 01:37 AM »
If you're looking for older stuff (funny term, the line's barely a year old) try KB. A local one here still has Jungle Attack He-Man and other pegwarmers. Also try out-of-the-way Wal-Marts, like those found in smaller towns. I've had insane luck there, and they often have figures like Beast Man, Stratos, and Man-At-Arms.

Also, keep checking every other Wal-Mart you can find, because I found MEF and Buzz-Off with Free Video #3 attached to them today, along with rage-inducing He-Man variants. ::)