Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 229624 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #600 on: February 9, 2010, 01:52 PM »
Quick rant:

- Back when I ordered my x3 2010 subscriptions I ordered a HE-RO to boot.
- After a few problems of him not shipping he eventually did after calling.
- (The time lapse of the 2010 sub is what threw it off because they did niot kick in until Jan. Understandable.)
- In that time since I ordered the 2010 subscription I moved to a new address from my in-laws.
- I have since November updated my account address and received orders with no issues.

Now comes the debacle as the first 2010 Subscription kicks in:

- So my first subscription order was sent to my my old address. Luckily it's my in laws close by.
- They sent and charged me for another HE-RO in that order

When I called to straighten the issues out (My first issue ever BTW beside Website Lag time) the customer service was pretty unprofessional. While the woman I spoke to was nice the people she worked with were not. It sounded like there was a party going on in the background. As I stayed on the phone to straighten the mess out the loud and vulgar comments coming from office partiers in the back ground gave me a clear audible explanation of why all the poor collectors who ordered from Matty had so many terrible issues with them. While they are trying to straighten out the issues I had it did not send a good message (to me anyway) or give me confidence in this 2nd party service who controls these orders. I thought I would share and see if anyone else has a sim9iliar experience going forward.

They are really lucky these figures are so awesome because most people would not put up with this crap. It also helps that you can only get them in one place so it's an unfortunate reality of collecting them.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 10, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Yeah, it's horrible.  I called to revise my credit card (as it is near impossible to find the link on the site) and some guy from India asked for my password to my account and the new credit card number. 

I asked him if I could do this online and he said yes but that it was 'very hard.'  I told him I could figure it out if he gave me the address - so he did and I was on my way.

So yeah, this coupled with the 2X shipping charge for EVERY bonus figure I buy (my subscription figure ships every month at the same time as the bonus) is a complete load of ****.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40 AM »
I hadn't ever heard of this, but apparently TRU will be getting some MOTUC vs DCUC 2 packs.  I guess this happened in the comics back in the 80s (there is a pic of one of the comics in the linked forums), and at least one of the packs will be He-Man vs. Superman.  Seems like one of the strangest exclusives yet, but it would be kind of neat to see these MOTU figures at retail.  I may even pick it up to have an extra He-Man to go with Battle Cat, depending on price.  Apparently these will be revealed at Toy Fair (and were also shown in Toy Fare.  It sounds like the second pack will be Batman/Skeletor.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:42 AM by Brian »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 10, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Ridiculous.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #604 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Depending on the price point those may or may not be some of the worst shelf warmers of all time.  If they're cheap enough those that missed out on He-Man and Skeletor will no doubt snatch them up.  But I doubt anyone will buy them simply for Batman or Superman.

Regardless...what a dumb idea.

John

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #605 on: February 10, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Talk about whoring out the line. It cheapens the MOTU Classics line down by doing this. They should have made these 2pks online only despite an even higher premium.

I worked at Mattel for 5 years, I know how they think. This is an experiment for testing the waters to get them into the mass market. If this performs well enough it will give a story to retailers to take the regular line. They originally tried to sell this line into mass but with no TV or cartoon they passed and went the online only route. With strong sales they see the money with googly eyes sitting on the table and will attempt to backdoor into mass via Superman. While I hate the idea it's pretty smart from a marketing perspective. Having x3 subscriptions this kind of urks me. I like the limited premium feel of this line.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 10, 2010, 09:50 PM »
This is a pretty lame exclusive. I've seen the pic, they didn't even bother to scale Supes properly, it would have been a simple enough kitbash to use a MOTUC buck and a Hero cape to makes Supes but they're just recycling a DCUC Supes. I have a feeling this product will probably tank. Matters little to me though, as I'm fine with online purchasing anyway. Saves me the trouble of looking for these.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31 PM »
They're going to kill any chance they had of listing MOTU figures in the future by selling this tripe.

Nobody is going to bite because the deco is horrible and the packs make no sense whatsoever - I don't care that there was a comic - it's lame and hurts any collectiblity these figures had.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #608 on: February 11, 2010, 02:24 AM »
Mattel, as usual, steals a good idea and cocks up the execution.
I'm curious to see where this goes. I'm not sure how many comics were ever written/created in the US, but it can't be that many, for the vintage line anyway.

Though if they all look as awful as that He-Man, this line won't last long, so the point is moot. I won't be touching them, since I'm fairly certain these will be $30 at TRU, and I'm already in for one figure a month at that price on the website.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 11, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Are these new DC and MOTU figures or just repacks?  Seems gimmicky, but I might buy one or two if they're the right figs and the price isn't too crazy.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 11, 2010, 10:43 AM »
They are repacks.  The price is supposed to be $29.99.  DC Comics Presents was a solid title back in the day.  The HM/Supes pack makes sense but I don't recall Batman meeting Skeletor ever. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 11, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Well, I won't be buying either of those.  If they had something like Teela and Wonderwoman, I might be more inclined to get it, though no need now if they are straight repacks. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 11, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Battlecat is going to be a complete 'you know what' next week. . .

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #613 on: February 12, 2010, 01:44 AM »
Yep. Tuesday Bloody Tuesday.

See, if Mattel was smart, they'd just offer a Battle Cat/HM pack to TRU for an exclusive and MOTU's return to retail, but that's if they were smart.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #614 on: February 12, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Well, I won't be buying either of those.  If they had something like Teela and Wonderwoman, I might be more inclined to get it, though no need now if they are straight repacks. 

HE-MAN  has a yellow power sword. Most likely the one at the LA art show show a few weeks ago. I can also see them going the Comic Pack Route and making them brightly colored ala Marvel Comic packs. Mattel is a very slow learner so I can see this happening to make them different so "Fans" do not get mad at them. Even though it's complete BS Batman and Skeletor will look good together.