Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227803 times)

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #885 on: May 9, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Just got my Moss Man and Panthor.  Panthor looks great on the shelf beside battle cat.  Question - where does the helmet come from?  This line has stayed true to the classic line while adding nods to the more recent one.  But I don't recall Panthor ever having a helmet.  Mind you, I never had him as a kid.  Does anyow know where the helmet is from?

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #886 on: May 9, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Just a helmet that the 4HM created. I like it, wish they could have more freedom.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #887 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised with Catra, I liked her more than I thought I would. My question is whats ups with the uber rubbery parts. He hand is really soft, so soft it feels like the wrist peg will snap. Also the weapons rack halberd(Long axe from Scareglow) has the same kind of super soft plastic. I hope this does no become the new norm.

I am really looking forward to the Battlefield Teela next month. The Faceless one is kind of meh to me but the more I look at him a Skeletor head will look great on that body.....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #888 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Mattel's excuse for the hands is safety standards.  :-X

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09 AM »
I dug out an old box of original MOTU stuff and was disappointed to find out there is almost no secondary market value in these things at all.

Why is all the stuff from the 80's so worthless? Just too much of it around?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 26, 2011, 01:37 PM »
I dug out an old box of original MOTU stuff and was disappointed to find out there is almost no secondary market value in these things at all.

Why is all the stuff from the 80's so worthless? Just too much of it around?

Because most of the guys who are interested in that stuff are SW collectors and they are all out of space.  Even the Joe and Transformer guys are probably out of room at this point.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #891 on: May 26, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Mattel's excuse for the hands is safety standards.  :-X

Did they actually say that?

As an ex-Designer at Mattel (I worked there for 5 years) that's total BS. The softer plastic is actually more of a safety risk because the wrist post can break easier and be swallowed with no problem. I can be swallowed fairly easy either way. Also how do they explain the other hand and SW figures heads. I understand they want to meet safety standards but this is a bit much. I get the halberd axe but the hand I am not buying that line.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #892 on: May 26, 2011, 10:22 PM »
They said something about the design of the hand, since it is "scratching" it would have been too sharp with the standard plastic.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 27, 2011, 02:31 PM »
Not necessarily toy related - but I've recently been re-watching the 200X MOTU series while doing the treadmill, and still really enjoy it.  I think it is one of the few examples of where I like the modern version more than the one I watched as a kid.  Really an underrated series, it is too bad it never caught on.  Also, if anyone was ever interested in seeing it, I noticed that Amazon has the complete series for $7.99 right now, a pretty nice deal.

As for the toys, I was just reorganizing the MOTU Classics shelf this week to make room for Panthor, Sy-Klone, and a couple others - and it was nice to get the chance to look closer at these figures again.  I've said it before, but it really is a nice looking line overall.  It is my own fault for collecting so many lines, but it could really make for a nice display of MOTU characters if you had the proper space and setup.  I'm leaning towards skipping the subscription for next year when that comes around again, but mainly because of budget.  Plus, I've been trying to think of which characters I'd really like to see at this point, and unless I'm forgetting a bunch, there is only a handful left that aren't already announced (Ram Man, Mekaneck, Stinkor, Two Bad come to mind right now).  As nice as the figures are, I honestly could care less about Catra, Bow, Vikor, etc.  But, at the same time, I can see why they want to space out the bigger names a bit.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #894 on: May 27, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Wow, they haven't done Ram-Man yet?  Launch figure and one of the main dudes in the original series...weird.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #895 on: May 28, 2011, 12:58 AM »
I am sure it is a combination of too much to tool him and holding off to get people to buy the subscription.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 3, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I saw some DC/MOTU crossover 2 packs yesterday at TRU...WTF? Are these things new? I have never seen any MOTU stuff on the toy shelves anywhere. They had Merman/Aquaman and some other pack with Stratos.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 3, 2011, 11:10 AM »
I saw some DC/MOTU crossover 2 packs yesterday at TRU...WTF? Are these things new? I have never seen any MOTU stuff on the toy shelves anywhere. They had Merman/Aquaman and some other pack with Stratos.

Those are the most recent round, but they've previously had He-Man/Superman and Skeletor/Lex Luthor I believe.  Many of the figures, particularly the MOTU ones, have been repainted from the Matty releases.  I thought I read at one point that a Supergirl/She-Ra one is on the way later this year.  Although I wasn't aware of it before, I guess the He-Man/Superman one at least had a basis in an old comic, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #898 on: June 3, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I have only seen the first wave, got the Blue Merman through a trade. Apaarently there is a Green Lantern and Zodac set too.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 16, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Damn - I totally forgot about the figs going on yesterday.  I wanted Whiplash and Grizzlor, but now that I've remembered Whiplash is sold out.  And I'm not sure if I want to pay the shipping just for Grizzlor.   :-\