Author Topic: Exclusives, exclusives, exclusives...  (Read 20542 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusives, exclusives, exclusives...
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2009, 02:42 AM »
Are all of the figures in the "Legacy Collection "Clone Trooper Squad" Box Set" straight repacks?

They look to be straight repacks to me.

I picked up this set for the same reason I picked up the three tin sets from last year - just to have them in my MIB/MOC collection.

If I wasn't also a packaged collector, I would have totally passed on this set.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 07:41 PM »

You have to learn how to let go Pete.  I started passing on a lot of repackaged stuff last year and I'm not turning back.  Was hard at first, but it gets easier.   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2009, 08:58 PM »
One of the few things that I had been hanging on to get as MIMP were exclusives.  Even that is a thing of the past for me now.  The only exclusives that I will buy and keep MIMP are event exclusives.  There are WAY too many store exclusives for me to do that now.

It's really peculiar how the exclusive phenomenon has taken off.  Back in the Episode I line, there were just about half a dozen exclusives IN THE ENTIRE LINE.  Look at the TLC RED line in 2009 alone, and some of the retailers have over half a dozen exclusives each.  It's kind of crazy.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16 AM »

You have to learn how to let go Pete.  I started passing on a lot of repackaged stuff last year and I'm not turning back.  Was hard at first, but it gets easier.   ;)

Same here. And I couldn't be happier.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Indeed, it's getting much easier to pass on stuff. I haven't bought a Legends figure in a long time. Just not needing the extra army builders now and certainly not at a higher price than what I got them for a year or two before.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Pete I can respect the package thing but man the money spent and room need to support that just seems too big big of a hassle. You are indeed one of the last of the Jedi in regards to that type of collector. Hasbro should send you some thank you swag.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009, 08:55 PM »

I know, I know. I really should let it go - I am finding it harder and harder to keep going with this. I already decided that starting with the Red/White stuff, I would no longer be buying repackaged $20 vehicles and any battlepacks that are re-released in Red/White packaging will also be a pass.

I'm having a hard time trying to decide what to do with the carded figures and the comic packs.

I've already picked up a complete set of the Saga Legends. If they weren't numbered, I think the only two I would have bought were Mynock Hunt Han and Chewie - technically that is the first time figures from that scene have been individually carded. The rest of the figures were all in the Blue/White legacy collection or released on a card previously. But the damn numbering is what got me.

I've also picked up all of the Clone Wars figures sequentially up to the Spacesuit Ashoka (I think she's CW#23). That's seven more figures I didn't need. And now the Legacy Collection figures are starting to hit and in the first wave alone there are six more figures I don't really need mixed in the first twelve.

And don't even get me started on the Comic 2-packs! I mean really, come on Hasbro, did you really need to make the first wave contain EIGHT sets but only have THREE of them be new?!?!

Pete I can respect the package thing but man the money spent and room need to support that just seems too big big of a hassle. You are indeed one of the last of the Jedi in regards to that type of collector. Hasbro should send you some thank you swag.

I was just reading this week's Q&A from Adam - in one of his answers he writes:

...3. Many collectors are sticking with the line almost out of spite, to see it out to the end no matter what...

And that describes me to a tee. It seems I keep up solely because after 14 years, I can count the number of items I have to still go back and try to acquire on one hand: Dash Rendar's Outrider (got crushed in a move), Millenium Falcon Carrying Case w/Wedge, Millenium Falcon Carrying Case w/Imperial Scanning Tech, POTF2 Han w/TaunTaun and Cruisemissile Trooper.

In my head, it seems silly to stop now, I can't explain why, it just does....

:-\
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06 PM »
...3. Many collectors are sticking with the line almost out of spite, to see it out to the end no matter what...

In my head, it seems silly to stop now, I can't explain why, it just does....

I am like that too just not in the card/box area. (I should talk as I buy x3 Octapurra Droids, x3 AT-TE's, x2 Falcons.....)

I have not heard that analogy before but that really does sum it up.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 09:20 AM »

I've already picked up a complete set of the Saga Legends. If they weren't numbered, I think the only two I would have bought were Mynock Hunt Han and Chewie - technically that is the first time figures from that scene have been individually carded. The rest of the figures were all in the Blue/White legacy collection or released on a card previously. But the damn numbering is what got me.

I've also picked up all of the Clone Wars figures sequentially up to the Spacesuit Ashoka (I think she's CW#23). That's seven more figures I didn't need. And now the Legacy Collection figures are starting to hit and in the first wave alone there are six more figures I don't really need mixed in the first twelve.

And don't even get me started on the Comic 2-packs! I mean really, come on Hasbro, did you really need to make the first wave contain EIGHT sets but only have THREE of them be new?!?!

I have had the same problem with numbering thing. :-[  I was able to let go of it on the Legends line since there is just way to many repacks in that line and now I gave up on the Comic Pack repacks, since they are to expensive to be buying repacks of.  I can not seem to let go of the numbering system on the Legacy or Clone Wars lines though.  So far I have bought all of the repack figures in these lines because I don't want to break up the numbering system on them.  I know I should probably let go of the numbering system thing, but I am obsessed with it for some reason I can't fully explain. ???  So I hear where your coming from Pete.  You are not alone on this type of collecting.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 02:52 PM »
I could see following the numbering thing if they were putting more than one of new figs in a case so there were two repacked/renumbered figs. But this crap where they have six new figs at one per case and then six repack/renumber figs would (if I ever was) stop me from even thinking about it.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 09:16 PM »
I could see following the numbering thing if they were putting more than one of new figs in a case so there were two repacked/renumbered figs. But this crap where they have six new figs at one per case and then six repack/renumber figs would (if I ever was) stop me from even thinking about it.

I totally see what you're saying. For the Legacy Collection to START with BD #1 - #5 being repacks and then BD #12 also being a repack is really inexcusable.

Hasbro complains that the Legacy line just sits, but then they pull this stuff. So far I've found an almost complete set of the TPM wave to open (missing Rum Sleg) and I still need to get the first twelve MOC. I keep missing the wave though - the tell-tale sign is the Red/White packaged Han and Luke in Stormtrooper Armor and/or the Spacetrooper. The Darth Maul seems to sell as do the Jawa and the Biker Scout.

Perhaps that was Hasbro's plan all along - give you a sign that you "just" missed the latest wave 'cause the re-packaged crap is still hanging around!

;D
Peter

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2009, 04:45 PM »
I think WM is doing an okish job right now with their exclusives (actually found everything that's been released this round with no problems - a first for me)  Not sure how that's going to go when they get their next round of SW exclusives, not to mention the Joe and TF exclusives that will be showing up soonish.  Lots of stuff they're cramming into those shrinking toy aisles so hopefully I won't have to go hunting in automotive or housewares, but we'll see.

Just kinda shocked to find WM exclusives on par with the rest of the country....shocking.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Yeah, things have been decent here so far as well - I'm most concerned with when the Dewback and AT-ST show up, so we'll see how that goes.  Our closest store (about five minutes away) recently went through the renovation complete with the smaller toy section.  They had the Droid Factory sets for about a week (I think I happened upon them when they were first put out), and currently have several of the Octuparra Droids.  I haven't seen any sign of the Clone Wars 2 packs, Evolution Packs, or comic packs (I forget if those have been found yet) at that store.  I traveled to the WM on the opposite side of town to check things out, and found the Evolutions sets there on a "middle aisle" display (that store is still set up the "old" way).  I really hope they stock the Dewback and AT-ST in good numbers when those hit.  Our store doesn't really have the true "endcap" at the front of the aisle anymore, but more of a waist-high, two-sided endcap that usually features the "toy of the moment".  It did have Transformers, then GI Joe, and has now been converted to Clone Wars (another one still has some TF stuff as well).  Anyways, it has been better so far, hopefully it continues through the rest of the year, because WM seems to have gotten the best of the exclusives for the most part.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 10:09 AM »
I think WM is doing an okish job right now with their exclusives (actually found everything that's been released this round with no problems - a first for me) 

Usually, they suck for me, some don't even get them at all. This time, not only did they get the exclusives, they were all below retail when I found them.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I got a chance to check out all three of our local Wal-Marts (in town anyways) over the past couple weeks, and it was kind of funny, it seemed like each store got one of this round of exclusives.  It was probably just coincidence, but our closest store got the Droid Factory 2 packs (which sold out in a couple days), the next closest store has the Clone Wars 2 packs, and the last store had the Evolutions sets.  None of the stores had any of the others, just one each.  Like I said, probably a coincidence, but if this continues, it looks like I'll be doing some store runs once the Dewback/AT-ST start hitting.