Author Topic: SDCC'09 Toht, Dietrich, Ark Ghost = HOAX  (Read 40500 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: SDCC'09 - Toht! Dietrich! Ark Ghost! Motorcycle w/Sidecar!!!
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 02:40 AM »
I liked the cycle a lot...  Too bad Hasbro's not actually doing it.  Disappointing to say the least, and lame on the part of whoever decided it'd be a funny hoax.  There's more than a few ******** in the Indy hobby I've noticed.  I wonder why?

Not that SW is lacking in those too, of course, but the Indy hobby seemed to have this "out of the woodwork" group of truly dickish people suddenly into toys.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Not that SW is lacking in those too, of course, but the Indy hobby seemed to have this "out of the woodwork" group of truly dickish people suddenly into toys.

Ain't that the truth! I've been following the discussion of this over on the forum for TheRaider.net and it appears that people there seem to get their rocks-off just pretending to be "know it alls" with "insider information". Kinda sad really.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Not to be easily duped, but if they were fakes, why wouldn't Hasbro freely say as much?  And like I said... the little placards really do match, that's a lot of effort for a hoax.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 12:45 PM »
I knew something looked off with Dietrich... really looking at how much I've customized, those arms should have been a dead giveaway that this was a hoax.  I guess I wanted this to be true so badly that I suspended rational thought.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Well if the mob in the RS forums says they're fakes it must be true.  :P

They were right this time.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Man...I'm really down about this.  I'm amazed that someone would go through all that effort for a hoax.  On one hand though, we do know 2 things about the person who did it...

1. The guy is very talented, and could be working for a major  toy company.  But that will never happen, becuase he's a childish jerk.  As someone who has worked freelance, being talented isn't enough. You have to be a good person to work with, or no one will hire you.  There's always someone else who is just as talented, and really friendly.  I can sleep at night knowing this guy will never get a real job doing this kind of work.

2.  These took alot of time.  Therefore, this guy spends much of his time alone.  There's no way someone who is married, or dating, or at least getting a little would choose to do something like this if there was a partner of some sort in his life.  He's as single as Hilter's testicle. But that's OK, because he's obviously good with his hands.

One thing I have learned about myself...I love Raiders/Indy, and this guy possibly loves Raiders/Indy...but it makes me really sad to have something in common with a creep like this.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:56 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 03:01 PM »
Hey now, there's a lot of customizers who have a life outside of this hobby... happily married folks with kids and still find time to live it up most weekends.   ;)

If he's kit bashing parts, which he seems to have done, I can name at least a dozen customizers who could replicate this work if they have the parts to work with.

Still though, the con on people is very aggravating.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Oh!  Don't get me wrong...its the scam that I'm pissed at.  Hobbies that enrich ones life are great things, hobbies in which one teases otheres is sad.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2009, 09:42 PM »
No worries buddy, I know it was the scammer you were referring to.  He does seem like a low life to say the least.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2009, 09:27 PM »
I would like to apologize to everyone for falling for these fakes and starting this thread...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08 PM »
These would have been nice.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 05:30 PM »
Pete...don't apologize.  We were all duped.  It's funny, people were saying we should have known better because of the parts from other figures, but I would expect that from Hasbro is they were trying to do these as cheaply as possible.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Yeah, honestly, why wouldn't Hasbro re-use parts?  They do it all the time.

Anyone saying that really don't seem to understand the way Hasbro operates.

No need to apologize either, Pete.  Someone went to a great length to do it...  Why?  God knows.  I'd have liked to have seen his Nepal thug though.  Might've been a neat inspiration.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 06:50 PM »
It's funny, people were saying we should have known better because of the parts from other figures

I think they meant "other figures" as in "figures from other lines".

If the parts were just from SW figures (the the Cycle drivers arrms = DS gunner arms or whatever), then yeah the kit-bashing would have been easily accepted. But, there was some good evidence out there that the Nepal Thug used the Zizzle PotC Jack Sparrow arms or Dietrich used 21st Century body/parts or whatever.

Hasbro uses stuff like that (stuff built from what-ever they can find) for internal mock-ups to pitch the idea, but they wouldn't use someone elses parts in something they would show to us...  would they?

I guess if anything, the use of outside figure line parts don't alone make then fakes, but it makes them early prototypes if they would have ended up being the real deal. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2009, 07:46 PM »
I'm inclined to think that usage of other companies products/work would bring about copyright issues if it was presented at a convention or retailers, even as a prototype piece. I think bashing together figures with parts from other companies' lines is something done within Hasbro only, and it's probably frowned upon at that.