Author Topic: SDCC'09 Toht, Dietrich, Ark Ghost = HOAX  (Read 40503 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC'09 - Toht! Dietrich! Ark Ghost! Motorcycle w/Sidecar!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Didn't Hasbro show off a bunch of customs either last year at SDCC or at the GI Joe convention that were made not only from Hasbro products but also lines from other companies?  They were presented strictly as customs, though, and not moc-ups for potential product.

I know that when Kenner originally pitched the 3.75" line of figures they used Fisher Price Adventure People to customize figures.  However, they were presented to get the license and not to potential buyers from stores.

Since the Star Wars team also did the Indy line, if they were going to throw together some concepts for a show like SDCC I could see them using parts from the Star Wars line rather than waste sculpting time and money.  But I don't think they'd use Zizzle parts, for example.

Displayed as strictly customs, maybe, as potential product, I don't think so.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 1, 2009, 01:22 AM »
It's funny, people were saying we should have known better because of the parts from other figures

I think they meant "other figures" as in "figures from other lines".

If the parts were just from SW figures (the the Cycle drivers arrms = DS gunner arms or whatever), then yeah the kit-bashing would have been easily accepted. But, there was some good evidence out there that the Nepal Thug used the Zizzle PotC Jack Sparrow arms or Dietrich used 21st Century body/parts or whatever.

My point exactly. 

Spock's hand too, for Toht.  I can't believe I didn't see that.  I think I had beer goggles on when I saw the images for the first time.   8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: August 2, 2009, 04:14 PM »
I'm inclined to think that usage of other companies products/work would bring about copyright issues if it was presented at a convention or retailers, even as a prototype piece. I think bashing together figures with parts from other companies' lines is something done within Hasbro only, and it's probably frowned upon at that.

Actually, I've seen other companies use parts from other toy lines.  NOt Hasbro though, of course, but I have seen it done by other companies to mock something up for display at a show...  That's usually as a sales pitch though, and not for something they've got lined up and ready for purchase.

Off-hand with the Dietrich, the only 21st Cent. part I was thining might be there, was the hat.  The body and head weren't recognizeable.  I never saw the Nepal thug besides his arm though, to comment.

The only parts I recognized at all were the Death Star Gunner's arms on the German biker.  The sidecar was outstanding.  May have been from Power Team Elite.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 5, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I'm actually wondering if these may actually have been legit, and shown at the fall Toy Fair.  It's a much lesser known show, but is closed to the press.  No images come out of that event and it's pretty much industry buyers only.

Is it possible that Hasbro used that as an opportunity to pitch these?  Because not only did these look good, but they even had the same kind of presentation cards in front of them.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04 AM »
In case you missed it, from the JD Q&A this week -

This was a hoax, and we had nothing to do with it. Whoever did it, did a clever job, right down to replicating our "tent cards" that we use when showing items at Comic Con. It was fun to look at, but nothing is in development or IJ at this time.

We all figured it was the case, but it's nice to get Hasbro on the record to finally put it to rest for good...  although it really isn't good that Indy is still dead. :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: SDCC'09 Toht, Dietrich, Ark Ghost = HOAX
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2009, 02:53 AM »
Yup, bummer...  I wish Hasbro would slip us some Indy figures now and then, but alas we're going to have to wait for a dismal sequal (I'm afraid) where Mutt's probably even MORE important (and thus likely to get 90 different figures at one time), and that sucks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2009, 03:36 AM »
I thought Lucas or Spielberg was already on record saying Mutt wouldn't be in the next one?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2009, 05:36 AM »
I thought Lucas or Spielberg was already on record saying Mutt wouldn't be in the next one?

I thought they had said he wouldn't be taking over the franchise/become the new Indy? I don't remember them saying he wasn't going to be in it period.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:36 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 01:11 AM »
I have no idea, but they whored him enough, I cannot imagine he'll be left out of future stuff.

What a waste of Ford's Youth though.  Imagine those WOrld War 2 Era stories?  I'd have loved movies based on those!  Especially involving Spielberg!  I can dream of what could've been, I guess.  :-\

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Yeah when they wait to make sequels it never bodes too well. Frankly the last movie was pretty stupid and really did not compliment the series while I would love to see more Indy figures I am not sure I want to see another Old Indy adventure.

However what would work really well would be to do a WW2 adventure Ala' Beawolf style to make him look young. That would be more appealing to me, we can have the real Indy young again instead of the aged refrigerator flying old man with a bigger & redder nose.

It would also spare us from stuffing in Mutt in the flick ensuring any new Indy toys a chance of being on shelves for more than a year. I must admit I loaded up on him and many others for $1.00 at Wal-Mart for custom fodder.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 2, 2009, 03:06 PM »
I don't get the hatred toward the last movie.  It was pretty damn good considering it had been nearly a 20 year gap since the last one and Ford is now in his 60s. 

Regarding more figures, I think Hasbro really just pissed on the line.  If another company had the license, they might not have given up on it so fast.  Look at the Star Trek line for example, Playmates and the retailer are keeping that alive (which is a surprise) and each store in my area has about an inch of dust on the figures.  Indy appeared to sell a lot better than that.  Go figure.  Maybe the Star Trek line will be done though after this Christmas, I haven't heard much buzz around the line in a while.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 2, 2009, 05:18 PM »
Mutt is the asnwer to both questions. 

Mutt was the presumed heir apparent and it didn't go well.  I don't particularly dislike the actor (haven't seen transformers) but didn't like the character in the movie.  I thought Indy was fun, Marion was a treat to see again though some of the scenes were more unrealistic than I'd have liked and there's my disappointment in a nutshell.

Mutt clogging the pegs is why the line died.  Walmart sold them off for $2 down from regular retail here of $10.  No way were they going to go back to the line and I'd be surprised if they did down the road again without serious concessions.  Losing the major retailer and probably frustration from all the other retailers really wouldn't bode well when trying to hawk these figures again.  I'm sad that they didn't carry on too, but I think Hasbro is to blame and probably realized the error too late to keep it going.  Those case packs sucked arse. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 2, 2009, 07:04 PM »
You see, I thought Mutt was fine in the movie.  No problems whatsoever.  And at the end of the movie, there was a brief hint that he might be taking over the main role, but Indy took his hat back.  I thought that was classic Indy.

I think there's more to the line failing than just two Mutt figures that were overproduced.  It was a combination of things, blaming the whole problem on just Mutt figures isn't the solution in my opinion.   Look at Belloq, what in the world were they thinking with the first rendition of him being that outfit?  If anything that should have been packed with the Ark, and a regular Belloq should have been in the line. 

There were other problems than that, and it wasn't just Mutt and Belloq that hit clearance.  So did almost all the other figures from the initial mass of figures that hit.  They simply did a piss poor job with the line.  There were a crapload of Indy figures that were just sitting collecting dust, not to mention Ugha Warriors, Cairo Swordsman, etc.  Maybe including an airplane in the line (remember how many Jungle Cutters hit clearance?), some stuff from all 4 films right off the bat, even a preview wave, etc.  God, even Toht wasn't in the first wave Raiders wave, what the hell is up with that?  Where was Marcus Brody?   And let's also not forget the ridiculous quality control on the paint jobs on the first waves.  The faces looked like they were melting.

Obviously I don't think Hasbro gave the line as much variety as they could have for the launch and extremely overproduced the first group of figures that hit.  Really, these are all human characters - pretty boring really if you're not a big Indy fan.  Maybe they could have given all the cards artwork like the TAC Star Wars line, that would have at least been more appealing on the eyes... Hasbro needed to do something better to really make this line work and they took it for granted that this line would be a hit.  Hopefully if the line comes back someday, they'll have figured out the right mix. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 3, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Yeah, the line just seemed to be mishandled from the beginning unfortunately - and just when things were hitting their stride (particularly with the ToD wave), it all ended.  I think the casepacks (Mutt being the biggest offender) had a lot to do with it.  Plus, it seemed like retailers bought in big into the initial assortments of the line, and I think after the collectors got what they wanted, that was about it.  I can't see I saw kids looking at the Indy stuff very often, and if they did, it was just for an Indy figure or the role play stuff.  Although the movie did well (I enjoyed it for what it was, just not as much as the original movies), I don't know how "big" it was with kids/toy-buying parents.

We've talked before about the collectors vs. kids/parents issue with Star Wars and other lines, but this line in particular (Indy) was almost totally bought by collectors I'm guessing - and I don't think Indy has near the "collector base" as Star Wars, G.I. Joe, etc.  Plus, all of those lines were out there vying for collector dollars last year as well.  I think we discussed this when the line was first struggling, but if they had spread out the waves, having the Raiders wave in February or something, then have the "new movie" stuff out for the release, etc. might have helped things too.  I do hope the line makes it back eventually (if/when we get another movie I guess), but if not, I am happy for what we got out of the line.  After seeing the last couple waves in particular (TLC/ToD), I'd be excited to see some more figures from the line.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 4, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I don't get the hatred toward the last movie.  It was pretty damn good considering it had been nearly a 20 year gap since the last one and Ford is now in his 60s. 

Those aren't considerations for making a movie good. Story is all important. The story was so-so. They should have made Darabont's version, it was a far superior script, and no Mutt. The first line set the whole, perfect tone. After the kids speed by the Atomic Cafe on their hot rods, camera stays on Indy, looking after them, he says "Damn kids."
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."