Author Topic: Funeral Pyre Vader w/ Luke  (Read 85794 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Funeral Pyre Vader w/ Luke
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2009, 12:05 AM »
You missed the "Extra 20% off clearance" deal Jason.  Should've got the Lars set then.  That's when I nabbed it, and it's not worth every penny. :)  But it's not painful at $30-ish.  I broke it down by piece, basically, and was internally happy enough to get it at that price.

It's a dome...  a plastic dome.

It's unimpressive.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2009, 12:55 AM »
Here's the video so you can get a feel for the light and sound effects.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02 AM »
Well, I'm one of those rare collectors who would buy this regardless of price, so while I hope it's in the $30 - $35 price range, I'm excited to see this and would gladly add it to my collection.

I am aware that I'm not a typical collector so I definitely see everyone's point.

I just hope that this piece does well since a failure on a piece like this would prevent a Funeral Procession Padme from ever being made - which is something else I would one day like to add to my collection.

A lot of people are pointing at the Lars homestead set as a great example of an Epic Fail on the part of Hasbro. I would tend to agree. But ask yourself this: If the Owen and Beru figures were brand new, sculpted and articulated by today's standards, does the set still suck? Perhaps, but to me a change like that would have made the set a million times better.

I think Hasbro needs to realize that sets fail sometimes because of price, but they also fail because of decisions made during the development process. I'm sure the idea of new Owen and Beru figures was bounced around during the development of the Lars Homestead set, just as I'm sure they were nixed so as to maximize the profit margin on the set. But we all see how far that got them...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2009, 09:39 AM »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2009, 11:21 AM »
My head is going to explode...

I'm going to buy it because it's a cool, bordering on iconic, scene specific set up. Might even make a nice shelf display piece. If it doesn't get made, I won't cry.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2009, 11:23 AM »
My head is going to explode...

I'm going to buy it because it's a cool, bordering on iconic, scene specific set up. Might even make a nice shelf display piece. If it doesn't get made, I won't cry.

Beautifully stated.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Well, I'm one of those rare collectors who would buy this regardless of price, so while I hope it's in the $30 - $35 price range, I'm excited to see this and would gladly add it to my collection.

I am aware that I'm not a typical collector so I definitely see everyone's point.

I fall in that category too. It's OTC so I will support it regardless of price. I love it but would like sound in there. Play the instrumental score from the movie, it will help strike the mood which will make this piece so much more awesome!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2009, 01:15 PM »
As others have said here, I'm sort of a sucker for anything from the Original movies.  I'd pick this up too, if released, hopefully for $30 or less.  It wasn't the coolest thing I saw in the SDCC coverage, but I still liked it.  I guess I'm just happy to see anything OT these days too (although the figure waves have been much better this year compared to the last couple).  Like others have said, I'll get it if/when it is released - but if for some reason it isn't, it wouldn't be the end of the world either.  I'd be more upset if they showed us a real spiffy all-new Jabba with dais/etc., and said "should we make it?" or "there isn't enough collector support for this".

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I love how they ask us "should we make this" when this one is a no brainer, if they made the Holo emp Head why not this? (Make it a HTS exclusive.) But they have no problem putting a former $30 vehicle out for $80.00...with nothing new about it other than deco.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2009, 11:54 PM »
You missed the "Extra 20% off clearance" deal Jason.  Should've got the Lars set then.  That's when I nabbed it, and it's not worth every penny. :)  But it's not painful at $30-ish.  I broke it down by piece, basically, and was internally happy enough to get it at that price.

It's a dome...  a plastic dome.

It's unimpressive.

Apparently so did TRU around me, they're still $40 here :( No worries, i've gotten to the point where I will live without the set, not the end of the world. And that's pretty much my point from my previous response - I would have been all over the set at a more reasonable price (for what was provided), instead it was overpriced (in my opinion) and I've decided to live without it.

Pete - in response to your question regarding if Owen and Beru were new figures, had that been the case the price breakdown would have been relatively acceptable. The sad fact is that Owen and Beru can be had for a buck or two on the secondary market and are figures most collectors already have - so putting these POTF2 leftovers in a set and then marking up the price so much just puts a negative spin to the whole set. That's what did it in for me and I'm sure many others. Oh well, what's done is done, maybe some day I'll be able to get the dome on it's own for a few bucks, ya never know...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2009, 02:25 AM »
I love how they ask us "should we make this" when this one is a no brainer, if they made the Holo emp Head why not this? (Make it a HTS exclusive.) But they have no problem putting a former $30 vehicle out for $80.00...with nothing new about it other than deco.

HTS sales aren't really all that good, as evidenced by the DTC line of G.I. Joe figures in (if memory serves) 2006.  It tanked, even with support of additional online retailers and, eventually, Toys "R" Us.  Hasbro got burned good, so this avenue is closed (or so say all their various boy action toy brand managers as of late.)

(And before you bring up Matty Collector, because I would, their goals are very different than those of Hasbro.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2009, 12:50 PM »
I collect 100% OT, and am usually thrilled for anything OT, but I have to admit I could take this or not.  I've never been a big fan of flame or blast effects.  I guess if it came to a vote, I'd not participate.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2009, 01:56 PM »
I'd like the concept better if it contained the fire crackling and the Williams music blaring

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2009, 05:59 PM »

HTS sales aren't really all that good, as evidenced by the DTC line of G.I. Joe figures in (if memory serves) 2006.  It tanked, even with support of additional online retailers and, eventually, Toys "R" Us.  Hasbro got burned good, so this avenue is closed (or so say all their various boy action toy brand managers as of late.)

(And before you bring up Matty Collector, because I would, their goals are very different than those of Hasbro.)

I agree with your assessment and I would not bring up Mattel (I worked there for 5 years so I know their practices well.) HTS profit margins are insane, there is no retailer middleman so that balances out the sales overall and makes it very profitable for their mass product line. I do not think Joe was the best example or idea because they invested in a lot of tooling that could not pay for itself in the long run, plus Joe was really dead at that time which did not help either. I would also venture to say the figures sucked too when you see what they are now.

If they were willing to sell it through HTS they could set up a presell for this item. Once enough orders are placed and they know they can make it with a profit your credit card is then charged. They could proceed to tooling & ship it when it's made 8-10 months later. (If they were really buttoned up, locked down costing and secured a factory they really could ship this in 6 months, difficult to do but not impossible.)
They would not have to worry about reaching out to fans to gauge if we want this made because they would clearly be able to gauge the presales. all they have to do is spread the PR about the item/sale date/details.

I know I would sign up without question for at least 2. I can see this as a Diamond or EE Exclusive but I do not see Target, Wal-Mart, TRU doing this. As someone posted earlier, the fact that this is a cremation toy. It will make this harder to fly with parents but more importantly will this be desired by kids. I do not think so. They would enjoy a ROTS Anakin with melt away skin/body part but not dead Darth Vader roasting with molded on flames. This is the ultimate in direct to collector type of item.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I can see this as a Diamond or EE Exclusive
Based on the opinions of someone in this thread...I don't see the latter happening :-*