Author Topic: Resurgence of the Jedi Battle Pack  (Read 39319 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Resurgence of the Jedi Battle Pack
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 12:02 AM »
THis is up over at Hasbrotoyshop

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 01:39 AM »
I got one over the weekend at Toys R Us...  Has anyone seen this at retail yet in the wild?

I think my opinions are largely like Scott's on it.  I think 3PO's a disappointment though.  He looks like he has blaster burns and I'd love to see Hasbro figure a way out to make his right foot gold, as it should be, rather than just silver like the rest of his lower leg.

Luke looks fantastic, Ben's a nice extra Ben, and R2's as good an R2-D2 as anyone can ever expect I believe.

I got mine at TRU and it wasn't in their computer system.  They rang me up then at $21 something which I'm not sure what TRU's battlepack prices are but I felt pleased with that price considering what they cost elsewhere anymore.  It was also, oddly, the only battlepack on the shelves that I noticed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 01:51 AM »

I got mine at TRU and it wasn't in their computer system.    It was also, oddly, the only battlepack on the shelves that I noticed.

same situation, got mine same place, not in their system, but I paid 25 + tax

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 04:59 AM »
I got to open this tonight...  Some expanded thoughts now...

-C-3PO really kinda blows.  I don't know what Hasbro was going for with the large flat black marks, but they look like severe burning to him.  Dirty I get...  He's dirty at this point.  The Purchase of the Droids 3-pack 3PO was really dirty, and that would've looked 10x better on this figure, and besides the restraining bolt would've doubled well for that figure.  Color me disappointed in this 3PO though, he really doesn't look too swift.

-R2-D2...  Very cool.  A little rubbery at the legs I thought, but very cool.  I'd buy this figure probably 3 or 4 more times as just companions to X-Wing and Snowspeeder Luke, and one to go with Bespin Luke as well.  I'd take him grimed up a bit as a Dagobah R2 as well.  One sort of with a black wash for a just generally dirty looking R2 would be neat too.  Sort of "battle worn" but not blown apart.  Hasbro would do well to give us more R2-D2 with this figure as a base.

-Obi-Wan...  He's cool.  Nothing too flashy besides his darker pants.  He's cool.

-Luke...  I like him, but I do have one gripe.  He's the ultimate ANH Luke in just about any way imaginable except 2 flaws.  First, his skirt piece is pretty rigid which limits poseability of otherwise super-duper poseable legs.  But the second thing really stands out more.  Luke's sporting a fairly white shirt throughout, but this figure's sporting a pretty dingey variation of what we're used to.  So while I love the figure still, and I'm retiring a number of ANH Lukes now, this isn't perfect.  A white version in Legends?  You bet I'm buying probably 3 or 4 of those as well to custom up a bit.

I could also add that it'd be nice to have a way to hook his father's saber on his belt too.  It didn't happen, but eh...  That's why I have tiny drill bits I guess.

Overall, a nice set.  Better than expected in a way...  Not without flaw, but great stuff where it needed to be for the most part.

Oh, and the table is cool too...  The Leia's little lines etched into her make for that cool wavy effect of the holographs, similar to the holo of Obi-Wan that Bail Organa came with.  Kudos to Hasbro for that neat little effect.  It'd be neat to see it employed on holographic versions of full-size figures, but that won't be happening ever, methinks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 10:24 AM »
I ordered two of these from HTS.  Looking forward to them.  I'll wait for Luke to be carded to get any more (well, we'll see how much I like R2).

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 10:38 AM »
-C-3PO really kinda blows.  I don't know what Hasbro was going for with the large flat black marks, but they look like severe burning to him.  Dirty I get...  He's dirty at this point.  The Purchase of the Droids 3-pack 3PO was really dirty, and that would've looked 10x better on this figure, and besides the restraining bolt would've doubled well for that figure.  Color me disappointed in this 3PO though, he really doesn't look too swift.

I haven't got mine from Jeff yet, but from the photos I've seen I largely agree with this. I think a repack of the Purchase of the Droids or Flashback C-3PO might have been a better choice in terms of accuracy. But I'll reserve final judgement 'til I have this in hand.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I scored this set this morning.  But I very nearly left it in the store because of the black on C-3PO.  But then I looked at the back of the box, and the photo of the figures showed those marks.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 11:48 AM »
The only reason this set has any kind of appeal is for the nice sculpt of Tatooine Luke.  Hardly worth the $25 price point. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2009, 04:10 PM »
The R2's an equal figure IMO, and I could use the other Obi-Wan and the holo Leia on the table's a bonus...  I wouldn't say it's only good for Luke then FG, but he's the highlight.  He'd have made a fantastic carded figure I think.

3PO's the only throw-away and every battlepack has at least one anymore it seems.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2009, 04:58 PM »
3PO's the only throw-away and every battlepack has at least one anymore it seems.

Well, just to defend 3PO, the one I got doesn't have too much of the black stuff and he can be cleaned up with a little effort.  It's a nice 3PO sculpt at least, with all the joints and everything.  Could have been worse I guess is what I'm saying (looking at you, VOTC 3PO  >:().
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2009, 09:01 PM »
the one I got doesn't have too much of the black stuff and he can be cleaned up with a little effort.  It's a nice 3PO sculpt at least, with all the joints and everything. 
The C-3PO has the oil marks from the oil bath scene? COOL! :D Even more reason for me to pick up this set - I originally didn't notice the black paint.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2009, 09:44 PM »
The R2's an equal figure IMO

I'm sure he is, but I'm pretty good in the R2 department.  Know what I mean?  I don't have any need whatsoever for another one, especially given the fact that his appearance doesn't really change throughout the saga.  

I could use the other Obi-Wan and the holo Leia on the table's a bonus

Obi-Wan is cool if you don't already have him.  Personally, I have no need for another.  

I wouldn't say it's only good for Luke then FG, but he's the highlight.

Given that I have no need for another 3PO (which is craptacular), R2, or Obi-Wan, for me, the only appeal would be Luke.  Besides, aren't we all stuffed to the gills with 3POs & R2s?  Does anyone really need another?

He'd have made a fantastic carded figure I think.

I agree, so hopefully, Hasbro will release him again by himself.  At that point, I'll bite.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:46 PM by Force Guy »
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2009, 10:17 PM »
I just want the holo Leia from this set!  I've bought figures before just for the accessory, but I don't think I'll spring for a BP, even if Luke and R2 are possibly the definitive versions of each (for now).  If I also needed Obi-Wan then maybe.

Glad that others that got this like the set, though. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41 PM »
I just want the holo Leia from this set!  I've bought figures before just for the accessory, but I don't think I'll spring for a BP, even if Luke and R2 are possibly the definitive versions of each (for now).  If I also needed Obi-Wan then maybe.

Glad that others that got this like the set, though. 

E...

Send me you info I will give you the Leia from the set.

I bought four of this set, I love it. I needed some extra R2's, Obi's and 3Pos for my displays. I want to get one more to make a jacketless Yavin Luke. The C-3Po is great for a Sandcrawler scene as he is cruddy with the modern sculpt. The r2 is sweet, the Luke is awesome and you get a great Obi figure that you can keep in the Falcon or hang out in the Cantina. I really do not get some people complaining about this set. It sounds like a case of being cheap. As far as I can tell this is the last of the Battlepacks without straight repacks with no new details at all.

I would be happy if future battle packs can offer something similar with some newish parts & paint. I hope to see some like this at TF but I am not holding out much hope.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Send me you info I will give you the Leia from the set.

I'd be interested in the Leia holo as well if anyone has an extra.