Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68489 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 4, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I, at this point, agree.  I like parts of AOTC, but there's a lot more about the cartoons that I like than don't like.  With AOTC it's almost 50/50, but with CW3D it's almost 100% good even when it's not great.  By far and away the toon's superior to TPM.

That's really sad when you think about it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 5, 2010, 01:22 AM »
I hated that black lightsaber.  I can't believe Lucas actually approved that thing.  Talk about screaming EU.  Even if it was like a thousand years old or something.

I like the idea that the Mandalorians have a long history as adversaries of the Jedi, and that they would take trophies like this.  But a black lightsaber that looks like a Samurai sword?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 6, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Loved the end of last night's episode.

Between Obi Wan's "would have left the order" and Obi Wan saying "I'm not a cold blooded killer" and then Anakin's light saber through the chest a second later. Pretty interesting stuff.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #168 on: February 6, 2010, 11:00 AM »
The writers of this series really deserve a lot of credit.  I had zero expectations for this show and even less after seeing the 'movie.'  It got off to a rocky start, but this year the show has become an exactly what Star Wars was to me as a kid - high adventure, good characters and fun - no more, no less.  The Madalore story and the Duchess/Obi Wan story in particular really add color to a character who has had no real investigation in 33 years.  They are a stunning contrast to the immature, passionate romance between Anakin and Padme and a good counterpoint to it (how perfect was Anakin killing that guy at the end - that's real writing). 

The one quibble I have is that Obi Wan should not have said he'd leave the order.  I don't believe he would; I think he's a soldier, a devoted Jedi, and despite his feelings would choose service over personal desire.  That would make him more of a contrast with Anakin, and his situation equally as tragic.  By him saying he'd leave - what if she asks him now?  Would he?  Will she in next week's show?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #169 on: February 6, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Although i liked how Anakin came up behind him and killed him, I think a better resolution would've been for Obi-Wan to cut off his hand.  That way both sides of the argument would've been upheld.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #170 on: February 7, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Interesting counter-idea Matt, I kind of like that.

The one quibble I have is that Obi Wan should not have said he'd leave the order.  I don't believe he would; I think he's a soldier, a devoted Jedi, and despite his feelings would choose service over personal desire.

Ya know what it made me think of though?  Obi-Wan's raising by Qui-Gon and how Jinn was sort of a break-away from the regular of Jedi's...  I could see Obi-Wan in his younger years (difficult to see it when he's a master) though being brash enough to say, "F it" to the Jedi ORder because he loved someone.

I liked Anakin killing the guy but it was uber predictable too.  My gf and I both said Anakin at the same time after I said, "who do you think is going to kill that guy?" to her, and she only watches because it' sbecome a Friday ritual.

I liked that episode for a lot of the same reasons you guys did.  Expansion of Obi-Wan's character is nice, plus Anakin was just more funny in it and background filler more than anything.  Episodes like this kind of make the Jedi (and Anakin's) downfall more emotional for some reason.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #171 on: February 7, 2010, 11:11 PM »
The one quibble I have is that Obi Wan should not have said he'd leave the order.  I don't believe he would; I think he's a soldier, a devoted Jedi, and despite his feelings would choose service over personal desire.  That would make him more of a contrast with Anakin, and his situation equally as tragic.  By him saying he'd leave - what if she asks him now?  Would he?  Will she in next week's show?

What I gathered from watching the episode a few times is that dialogue was merely a ploy to distract Merrick as evidenced by the look Satine gave Obi-Wan in order for him to "play along". You could pretty much see Obi-Wan's "I see what's going on here moment" and it was played by both of them well. Granted, there might have been some truth to it, but I think is was said to throw the traitor off his game so Satine could stomp on his foot and get the blaster.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #172 on: February 8, 2010, 09:54 AM »
I think that look was two people realizing the severity of the moment, and how much needed to be said.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 8, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Good episode.  I liked how they developed Obi Wan's character more with his relation to the Duchess.  Certainly a contrast to Anakin. 

As was stated in a few previous posts, this new Clone Wars show goes far and beyond the TPM and AOTC films in the quality of the stories, dialogue, character development, and even visual sequences.  While one does need to be familiar with the prequels to really get all that is going on in the CW3D show, it certainly is better.  Kind of too bad its actually a syndicated cartoon series that accomplishes the characterizations and stories that the films should have done in the first place.  I guess that goes to show us what can happen when Lucas only supervises with creative input and does not direct :P
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Last night was another great episode.  I loved he McQuarrie Coruscant shout out.   :)

I thought the ending was a little soft - Satine and Obi went unresolved, but then we haven't seen the last of her, or the Mandalores.  I loved the concussion effect that followed the explosion of the thermal detonator, the Coruscant clones, the very astute political wrangling (far more precise than the films), and just about everything with the show.  It's far and away the best thing to happen to Star Wars in the PT era.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2010, 11:12 AM »
I was just reading through the Hasbro Press Release for Toy Fair, and noticed the write up for the Boba Fett role play helmet mentions that he appears in both The Empire Strikes Back and the Clone Wars - so maybe he is on the way?  I wonder if that was an intentional release, or a slip up?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Gotta be a mistake.  I don't think he shows up in the CW - and if he does, he'll just be a kid, right?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Blah...I was glad to see the the Death Squad intro, but I didn't care for these three episodes personally.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2010, 04:18 PM »
It was a pretty decent episode.  I'm enjoying seeing the McQuarrie-inspired area of Coruscant and the way the political wrangling played out in the show.  You could tell Palpatine was a bit annoyed when his plans to occupy Mandalor fell through. 

I know this show is marketed for kids under the age of 15, but one really has to be older to fully appreciate all its complexities.  When one knows something about the Star Wars universe, has familiarity with (Earth's) history, and understands the working of both the military and politics, the show takes on whole new meanings - something your average American pre-teen is not going to understand ;) 
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2010, 12:30 AM »
I didn't get to catch this till tonight unfortunately...

I liked it, i thought it wrapped up a 3-show-arc nicely but left things untied for future episodes like was mentioned.  The Mandalores are a threat now, and so on.

Pretty cool stuff.