Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68451 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2009, 07:06 AM »
I missed the time change and thus missed the episode. Need to find out when it's on again.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2009, 03:52 PM »
So how soon does anyone want to guess we'll see a toy of one of those super tanks for sale? :P

I liked some aspects of the episode and then disliked others.  As Jesse noted, the tensions between Ashoka and Bariss Offee were interesting and I was glad to see the "possessive" attitude in Anakin brought out.  (I really want Ashoka to get killed off at some point in the series, driving a despairing Anakin closer to the dark side >:D )  There was still a lot of carnage and in my sick mind, I'm always a fan of that in this series. 

As for my personal drawbacks, the super tanks were sort of bland, but did seem to evoke something of the AT-ATs in ESB in terms of a massive, near-impervious weapon that could destroy just about anything on the good guys side.  A more tank-like appearance with a turret or something would have been cool, though I thought the mortars were interesting.  I'm sure we'll be seeing more of them in future episodes.  I still think the episode moved too quickly to really develop the story or the characters as effectively as they could.      
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:53 PM by tmanthegreat »
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I missed the time change and thus missed the episode. Need to find out when it's on again.

Weapons Factory:
November 18 9:00p EST

Or you can watch it now on SW.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2009, 04:07 PM »

Weapons Factory:
November 18 9:00p EST

Or you can watch it now on SW.com

Thank you.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Am I really the ONLY one who LOVED the super tanks? To me, these are like gold because we instantly have a new candidate for the next $100 TCW toy. Sign me up right now...I want it.

This is a 4 episode arc, so they'll be on Geonosis for two more eps. Fine with me, best stuff they have done yet IMO.

I didn't feel like it was Anakin's possessiveness so much that they were trying to show as his complete inability to deal with the concept of personal loss. Pretty much his Achilles heel, as we see in ROTS.

Luminara is my favorite Jedi, but I agree that her attitude seemed a little too detached in that situation.

HATE the new time slot, WTF does Cartoon Network have against Joss Whedon? LEAVE IT AT 8PM!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I was ok with the Separatists having a piece of equipment that was better than what the Republic had, my problem was that they were impervious to any damage.  Seemed like when the Republic anti-tank guns opened up, they should have maybe taken out the front two tanks, and then the rest of the tanks could have fired their mortars destroying all the Republic armor & artillery.  Or have one Separatist tank duelling against four or five AT-TEs.  But to not take any damage.  That was kind of lame.  I get that they had to establish them as super tough, that way when Ahsoka and Bariss used one to destroy the reactor, it would approach being believable that they would survive the explosion inside one (even if they had to cut a hole in the armor to get, and you'd think the fireball/shockwave/shrapnel would enter the tank the same way....).
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Pretty much what Keonobi said...  Heavy artillery cannot destroy them?  Come on?  Seriously?

Like I noted, Jedi can cut them easily with their sabers...  But suddenly the big guns the Republic has do zero damage?  I can see one being a menace and tough to take down (like Keo said, multiple AT-TE's having to engage it), but being completely impervious is, at best, a plothole.  At worst it's writers just pulling something out their ass to make something more exciting.

The series has an element of realism to it often times, and with this it was lost completely.  "Super-weapon-of-the-week" syndrome.  I hope the series doesn't fall into that pattern.

I also agree with the tank's design being flawed...  The mortar guns are cool for sure, but having it look more tank-like with a main gun atop it would've been nice.  As it stands it's got anti-personnel guns at the front ala the troop transports, and mortars.  It's kind of a weird hap-hazard design.  I really disliked it a lot and think it's best left shelved at this point, which I hope is the case since they were describing it as their secret weapon, and the first ones rolling off the line I guess.  The Tiger-II, it is not though.  ::)

As far as Anakin's traits, I believe that possessiveness and the inability to let go are one in the same.  I don't see those as being different at all.  He'd waste 1000's of Clones to save Ahsoka, R2, and so on.  He's loyal to a fault, as far as the Jedi are concerned, but also it's greed ultimately.  They're just different ways of saying the same thing I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2009, 12:29 AM »
I don't think of Luminara as being overly detached - she clearly displayed grief at the idea of losing Bariss.  She's a dyed in the wool Jedi, and the Jedi in this era are somewhat anti-septic.  They are emotionally and materially detached, and the series is starting to bring out some of the more buried themes of the PT.  The Jedi fail in some degree due to their attitude; Anakin fails in large part due to his.  Lucas wants to contrast detachment and possession.  The middle way seems to be his preference.  Luke ultimately succeeds through his attachment to his friends - he refuses to let them die, or let them go and in the end he defeats the Sith.

Luminara is compassionate, but like Obi Wan, a child of the Jedi Order.  It should make us uncomfortable that they seem so easy with loss; just as much as it should make us feel uncomfortable that our hero is a murderer.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:30 AM by Darby »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2009, 12:03 PM »
After giving it some more thought, I believe the super tanks would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce cortosis to the Clone Wars storyline. There's a tangent you could milk for plenty of plotlines.

Also, I'd like to see some references to the Real Geonosian Super Weapon they are currently working on...the Death Star.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2009, 12:19 PM »
Did you guys notice that there's a white AV-6R7 in the newest section of the comic?  And it's working on a star destroyer bridge, just like the one in Jedi!  Pretty neat, I thought.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Another very good episode (and more Luminara, no one can complain).  And SW zombies (!) with a very nice SF twist on them.  Don't know if I need to see the nose worms go on for another episiode, but hey.  I loved it.  Great atmosphere and direction.  Obi/Ani were great in this. 

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2009, 12:34 AM »
Yeah, very cool episode. The queen was awesome. 8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2009, 01:07 AM »
Weird episode...  I liked the explanation for the zombies though.  It deviates somewhat from established EU (again) on the birthing process of Geonosians though...  at least it seemed to.

Definitely weird though.  Better than last week's episode by a mile though and it makes one wonder just how Poggle escapes eventually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2009, 01:44 AM »
This episode had a huge Aliens feel. I was waiting for a clone to break down and say "game over man, game over".  :D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2009, 07:54 PM »
This episode had a huge Aliens feel. I was waiting for a clone to break down and say "game over man, game over".  :D

I actually caught this episode today thanks to the trusty Video Cassette Recorder remote I found and totally agree (Aliens was also on the boob tube today)  Especially when the "bleeps" started bleeping.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN