Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68462 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11 AM »
This episode had a huge Aliens feel. I was waiting for a clone to break down and say "game over man, game over".  :D

That would've been a badass thing had it happened.

I'd heard someone saw some fan-fic project that crossed aliens over with Star Wars, and that helped fuel this episode...  Just something I heard somewhere, but I know the project they mentioned and it's a very cool mod to a game that mixed the two universes relatively seamlessly.  Be cool if it was true, but regardless I thought the whole thing was a neat episode, though a tad strange at times.

As an aside though, where's all the bounty hunter action?  So far color me unimpressed on that supposed Season 2 focus.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2009, 11:41 AM »
I enjoyed this episode as well.  While I've never been into the zombie thing much in any genera, I thought the way it was explained in this episode with the hive-mentality and worms was well done.  The episode also moved at a decent pace that did not seem too rushed...  Also, very classic interaction between Obi Wan and Anakin - and I had to almost chuckle about Obi Wan's insistence to "see what happens" when the Geonosians threatened to put the worm in Luminara.  The upcoming episode also looks like it will be another creep-out one.   
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Weird episode...  I liked the explanation for the zombies though.  It deviates somewhat from established EU (again) on the birthing process of Geonosians though...  at least it seemed to.

Definitely weird though.  Better than last week's episode by a mile though and it makes one wonder just how Poggle escapes eventually.

Hmm, personal bias speaking here, but IMHO Clone Wars trumps all other EU in terms of canonical reference priority. I'm willing to go with anything in the series over something that has yet to be realized in a visual medium. (Not saying one is better than the other, but if I had to pick which is probably more "accurate"...)

How do we know Poggle escapes again? My mind is blanking. I was thinking we never saw him again in the prequels after AOTC. Was he one of the Separatists cut down at Mustafar? (bad brain)

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2009, 04:38 PM »
He was on Mustafar at the end of ROTS with the rest of the good-time-gang.

And the birthing process of Geonosians WAS visualized to an extent. :)

EU is EU though...  This is just new so it's going to go over whatever it wants, like EU always seems to do.  I just dislike when it doesn't attempt to jive a little.  It's not a huge issue (how Geonosians are born) and it's not even really important either nor can it not be explained away as well.  Nothing major, just always catches my attention when EU isn't jiving with EU.  To me they could try harder but just don't because it's easier not to...  In some cases I think they're going to run into a situation where it's simply not possible to.

There's a ton of CW material out already so it's bound to clash I think at some point...  It's only a 3 year period! :)

I'd really like to see the CW toon bring out the ARCs and Republic Commandoes at some point...  I'm wondering if it'll happen at all, or not.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2009, 06:03 PM »
EU is EU, and doesn't count.  Clone Wars is a Lucasfilm production with stories by George. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2009, 08:53 PM »
That's not entirely true though...

The CW storylines aren't (at least not all of them, or even most) written by GL, even the movie.  GL has input, but he has had input into other EU as well...  He's had input on novels.  He had input on Zahn's Trilogy when it was being written because he didn't want certain things set up as they were due to starting his filming.  The majority is left to others to do though, and Dave Filloni's the guy doing most of the decision making on Clone Wars 3D, and he's trusted to do so.  That's why he has the whole "Plo Kool" stamp and stuff.

We've been over the whole "EU" topic again and again, but Lucasfilm's OWN stance is that the films are the only "canon" for lack of a better term...  This includes the novelization of Star Wars, partially written by George Lucas, but the films trumped that obviously and it has inconsistancies.  The only changes they've really made are that they don't like calling it continuity now I guess, and rather just call it another level of canon.  It's basically the same though.  Till they decide to change that stance though, then CW isn't being written and run entirely by Lucas himself, and it's not considered part of the 6 film saga, so it's still EU by LFL's definition.  

I don't recall having seen anything saying Lucas was writing the stories for Clone Wars 3D though.  That makes me wanna check the DVD more closely now, haha...  He's got input for sure, perhaps a lot more interest in it as well, and the things he personally approves could be considered as canon as the films, but who knows what all he approves and what he does not?  Hell, the original CW3D storyline was turned into a movie because Lucas saw it after it was either written or maybe roughly finished, and thought it'd make a good feature film launch rather than just television (you can even tell where episode breaks were if you're paying attention when watching the film).  There was even an interview with Lucas somewhere, where he said the stories of the Clone Wars didn't particularly interest him as much as they did everyone else, and that he really felt their story could be told better through other media (this was before the CW3D toon was announced though, probably during AOTC?) then because to him the Clone Wars were just a plot device about the story he wanted to tell (skywalkers), and so he was leaving it up to the other portions of his company to hash it out.  

I'm not saying anything BAD about Clone Wars, by the way, I'm just saying what Lucasfilm has put out there as their standards of canon and official continuity...  They're clear, it's not foggy or anything, and the CW3D series doesn't fall under their standards of canon...  When people are really into something I think they're quick to accept it as superior to other EU stuff to a degree, but ultimately it's all the same stuff in different forms of media...  Lucas's word is the gospel above all, but ultimately Clone Wars3D is "approved" just like Splinter of the Mind's Eye or a wealth of other materials.  I'm not mad at them when they dump on EU that's already established, I just think the writers could conjure up a little more correllation with the EU.  It'd be neat to me to see CW-era EU characters (other than Assajj) show up even, but it doesn't appear to be a priority or anything.  I'd like seeing some ARC Troopers though or something.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:54 PM by Jesse James »

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 5, 2009, 12:41 AM »
Tonight's episode...  where the Geonosian worms infect the ship, the clones, Bariss Ofee... I'm very tempted to consider this the best episode of the season so far.

It was dark, creepy, and perhaps captured some of the conflicting emotions and feelings that should have been in ROTS better than that movie itself.  The worms infecting the clones and causing them to attack the Jedi had the Order 66 feel to it - even one of the clones commented that it was their duty to attack the Jedi.  Bariss coming under the control of the parasite and attacking Ashoka had the whole Jedi vs Sith (or Anakin vs Obi Wan) feel to it, though it ended on a more positive note.  Then there was Anakin's interrogation of Poggle - the most Vader-like Anakin has acted in the CW series, complete with Vader's musical theme (the Imperial March) playing in the background. 

Again, I really enjoyed this episode 8)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 5, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Yeah watching Anakin's interrogation tactics was cool.

And I liked seeing Ahsoka and Barriss dueling.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #113 on: December 5, 2009, 11:15 AM »
What was potentially a very blah episode was offset by a tremendous awareness of the Star Wars story.  Anakin's abuse of Poggle, his speech Ahsoka at the end of the show about attachments and the final shot - a very nicely done (and quitely done) forecasting of the fate of Anakin, the Republic and (?) Ahsoka.

The music has been lights out this year.  Loved the new clone trooper designs in this one, too.  Would have liked to have seen their helmets.  I am sort of glad for them to be off Geonosis now, though I enjoy they depicted how long and involved battles like this really are.  
« Last Edit: December 5, 2009, 11:24 AM by Darby »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 7, 2009, 06:36 AM »
Anakin's dark side moment was definitely a good use of foreshadowing about his eventual fate.  Although a more interesting turn would have been for him to hesitate a bit more before force choking Poggle.  It's good to see this kind of character development happening in the Clone Wars.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #115 on: December 8, 2009, 01:46 PM »
That's not entirely true though...

The CW storylines aren't (at least not all of them, or even most) written by GL, even the movie.  GL has input, but he has had input into other EU as well...  He's had input on novels.  He had input on Zahn's Trilogy when it was being written because he didn't want certain things set up as they were due to starting his filming.  The majority is left to others to do though, and Dave Filloni's the guy doing most of the decision making on Clone Wars 3D, and he's trusted to do so.  That's why he has the whole "Plo Kool" stamp and stuff.

We've been over the whole "EU" topic again and again, but Lucasfilm's OWN stance is that the films are the only "canon" for lack of a better term...  This includes the novelization of Star Wars, partially written by George Lucas, but the films trumped that obviously and it has inconsistancies.  The only changes they've really made are that they don't like calling it continuity now I guess, and rather just call it another level of canon.  It's basically the same though.  Till they decide to change that stance though, then CW isn't being written and run entirely by Lucas himself, and it's not considered part of the 6 film saga, so it's still EU by LFL's definition.  

I don't recall having seen anything saying Lucas was writing the stories for Clone Wars 3D though.  That makes me wanna check the DVD more closely now, haha...  He's got input for sure, perhaps a lot more interest in it as well, and the things he personally approves could be considered as canon as the films, but who knows what all he approves and what he does not?  Hell, the original CW3D storyline was turned into a movie because Lucas saw it after it was either written or maybe roughly finished, and thought it'd make a good feature film launch rather than just television (you can even tell where episode breaks were if you're paying attention when watching the film).  There was even an interview with Lucas somewhere, where he said the stories of the Clone Wars didn't particularly interest him as much as they did everyone else, and that he really felt their story could be told better through other media (this was before the CW3D toon was announced though, probably during AOTC?) then because to him the Clone Wars were just a plot device about the story he wanted to tell (skywalkers), and so he was leaving it up to the other portions of his company to hash it out.  

I'm not saying anything BAD about Clone Wars, by the way, I'm just saying what Lucasfilm has put out there as their standards of canon and official continuity...  They're clear, it's not foggy or anything, and the CW3D series doesn't fall under their standards of canon...  When people are really into something I think they're quick to accept it as superior to other EU stuff to a degree, but ultimately it's all the same stuff in different forms of media...  Lucas's word is the gospel above all, but ultimately Clone Wars3D is "approved" just like Splinter of the Mind's Eye or a wealth of other materials.  I'm not mad at them when they dump on EU that's already established, I just think the writers could conjure up a little more correllation with the EU.  It'd be neat to me to see CW-era EU characters (other than Assajj) show up even, but it doesn't appear to be a priority or anything.  I'd like seeing some ARC Troopers though or something.

I've posted this before, but you need to read this interview: http://theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/henrygilroyanddavefiloni.asp

CW is not EU.  All season 2 (and last half of season 1) stories came straight from George, and he has day-to-day involvement in all aspects of the show. 

Lucasfilm productions = canon

others: Darkhorse, Marvel, etc = EU.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: December 8, 2009, 03:17 PM »
That's an interesting read Hobbie, but I think there's two different things...

Lucas considers the storyline Star Wars...  I can buy that.  He's there, he's got deep-seeded interest.  I can see that being arguably not EU then.  But there's a second level of Clone Wars that I think is...  The "details".  The Y-Wing, for instance...  It's intended to be (according to designers) the Original Trilogy Y-Wings in every way, but its backstory has been rewritten so that it's a different model of the Y-Wing that's larger, and that OT Y-Wings are a later-model ship.

So which is it then? 

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about mostly...  There are details there that Lucas is 100% not involved in, and could honestly give a poop about, and that's the kind of stuff that is still EU and up to the viewer/reader to decide.

The storylines I can see the argument they're not EU though if Lucas has become involved in each one...  Still, he is only pitching ideas as noted in that interview and NOT writing the stories, so I still say Lucas is just steering the ship some, so I think there's grey area there.  But that was less my point I think anyway.  The details I think are still part of the EU.

For the record I don't dislike CW at all, and I consider it part of SW in every way...  It's better to me than E1 and E2 for certain.  I consider it at least on par with ROTS, and I loved ROTS as much as the OT pretty much.  To me personally, CW3D is Star Wars in every way that the Prequals didn't really live up to.  At least the first 2.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23 AM »
So far I am actually enjoying season 2 more than season 1.   Yeah, in the last episode Anakin telling the clonetroopers to "leave us" was a nice nod to ROTS.  Gotta like his interrogation tactics.  They are definately showing his attachement to Ahsoka this season along with that other episode where she was trapped underneath the ground and Luminara was basically resigned to the fact that the padawans were dead.  I like the angle anyway. 

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2009, 03:46 PM »
So when exactly do the new episodes for Season 2 start again?  Thanks!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2009, 03:49 PM »
So when exactly do the new episodes for Season 2 start again?  Thanks!

Hour long episode (or two 30 minute ones) on New Years
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within