Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68654 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 5, 2010, 10:18 AM »
I think Jesse brings up a good point too.  I really liked the way Grievous was portrayed in the original CW 2D series as well, and wouldn't mind seeing more of that here.  That brings up another topic....I think we all enjoy the current CW series quite a bit, but looking at it now, would you rather have this or full episodes of the previous 2D shorts?  The animation of the new series has really grown on me, and I've always loved the ships/action in this version - but that original 2D series sure was exciting to watch as well (and I liked that animation as well).  I can't say I dislike either one really at all, and probably would have been pretty happy either way.  I used to be more of a fan of "traditional" animation (not the computer/CGI type stuff) in cartoons, but like I said, it has grown on me a lot in the last couple years.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: January 5, 2010, 11:43 AM »
I think all it takes is him offing some Jedi...

My assumption is that this is why 80s cartoons always had to keep adding new villians to the mix.  Cobra Commander and Skeletor could only "run away" at the end of the episodes so many time before it got played out and they had to bring in a Seprentor or a Hordak to re-start the cycle.   :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: January 5, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Exactly.

And when kids get tired of him running away, they'll introduce the Mandalorians... who will also go on to lose fights to Ani/Obi and then run away at the end.  It's the circle of life for cartoons.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: January 6, 2010, 01:14 AM »
Is Palpatine even involved in the development of equipment though?  Again I'd think not, and that he wouldn't try balancing things like that... 

First off Jesse, I see all of your points, so please don't think I'm trying to start an argument. I actually enjoy discussing stuff like this in Star Wars so you'll forgive me....

I'm right with you, so no worries.  I'm not angry or anything so don't worry, it's good conversation I think.

I think you make good points too about Palpatine's puppetry of the whole thing too, I just see it more as the technology is balancing itself...  a tank's armor is met with anti-tank weaponry that's superior.  I'm not much of a super weapon guy though, but I could see your idea applying more to stuff like those seismic tanks for instance from the 2D cartoon...

Those are kind of a "super weapon" being deployed by the Seps, and so I think it makes sense that maybe Palpatine would want to keep something like that from turning the tide of war somehow, let it slip out that they have some weakness or flaw...  The AT-TE is, to me, just a random piece of armor that wouldn't be particularly special in any way really except in that it would be technologically on par with whatever the common armor is the Seps are using...  It may give something up for firepower or armor, such as speed or maneuverability for instance, but at the end of the day it's a basic piece of equipment...  So I don't really see the Palpatine Puppet thing applying as much to the "basics" if that makes sense.

I just see the idea that the "control" of the balance of war on that level is too complex or impractical...  I think that works well for super weapons, but not the basic equipment of war like fighters, and other mainline equipment.  Does it end there or go all the way to pistols, ya know?

To me the AT-TE being taken out, dead front, from a personal rocket launcher, is just always going to be an illogical "plot hole" (not that it impacts the plot, it's something to be simply ignored to me), for lack of a better term.  It just says to me that the writers were being sort of careless in a sense...  I'd like to think better of them, and generally they are, but this is just one instance I was let down.

To the contrary I liked the droid snipers being taken seriously...  Not just someone out running around with a good gun, but rather a team showing tactics and things.  It was a little detail I appreciated. 

I'd have much rather seen them try for such detail with the AT-TE...  Maybe a small ambush from the sides, and a rocket up into the recessed hip joint of an AT-TE takes it out like shooting the tracks of a tank to disable its advance.  I think it would've looked cooler and more "realistic", if that can be applied loosely to the conversation.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 6, 2010, 07:51 AM »
One of the things that irks my step-son about the series is that the Clones seem incredibly over-used as fodder.

He's read all of Karen Traviss' books (I have not) and he tells me that in the books, she makes a big deal about how the kill ratio of Clones to Droids is like 50:1 and the reason she did this was because there's no way they'd be able to grow clones at the same rate as manufacturing droids.

While I think that every clone being able to take out 50 droids is a bit ridiculous (and if the series is to be believed, it seems that Rex and Cody and single-handedly skewing the averages) but Traviss does have a point so there has to be a happy medium somewhere in between or eventually the Republic would run out of Clones. Maybe 5:1 is a more realistic ration, I don't know - there needs to be a man-to-man advantage the Clones have over the Droids, simply because the Clones have the ability to think for themselves on a much more advanced level and the only droids the Seps have that even come close to that seem to be the Commando Droids.

The example others have mentioned where Grievous tortures the "elder Jedi of the week" and then runs when Obi-Wan and/or Anakin come onto the scene being redundant at this point, is the same as how I feel about how an episode will start off with Rex and/or Cody and a squad of Clones - by the end of the episode lots of times, the only Clones left are Rex and Cody. If you're a Clone and you never take your helmet off, you might as well adorn your armor with a target symbol on your chest because it seems the pattern is that if you never show your face, you're canon fodder.

I understand it's a kids show (with a TV-PG rating) but at some point, they are going to need to start dealing with the heavier issues of war or the end of the show won't match up with ROTS - it just won't.

Only Gree and Cody are in ROTS - that means that Rex either leaves the 501st or he's killed. Ashoka is nowhere to be seen, Anakin is being driven to the Dark Side by nightmares of Padme dying - are these spurred on by the loss of Ashoka or is Ashoka off on her own now with her own squad of troops and if so, is GL going to add an Order 66 scene of them killing Ashoka in the Special Edition of ROTS that will be released on Blu Ray within the next decade?

I'm really surprised that GL hasn't let Filoni introduce the Dark Jedi who defect over to Dooku's side like Sora Bulq and Tol Skorr. What about Quinlan Vos, Villie and Master Tholme? Or are they never going to cross-polinate with the characters from the Republic Comic Series that was the first EU media used to tell what went on during the Clone Wars. Heck, where is Dirge? Why haven't they used him?

My biggest fear is that at some point they are going to reach a point where all of the comics, books and even the 2D series can't co-exist with the 3D CW series after it's had its five season run.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 7, 2010, 04:51 PM »
*As Nick, mentioned l really enjoyed the nod to the concept work for the OT, ROTJ specifically, with the Jedi Shuttle.

WOW, awesome catch Jayson!  That is totally the concept design for the Imperial Shuttle.  Funny thing is, it's been done in toy form before in Galoob's Action Fleet line as the Series Alpha Imperial Shuttle.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: January 7, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Filloni's commentary on SW.com about this episode directly addressed Eeth Sloth and his resurrection...  He says he went to everyone and there wasn't visual confirmation of Sloth's death, so he went to Lucas and asked if Eeth Koth can be alive, and Lucas just simply said sure...

This is why CW3D is messed up at times. :)

He also said he didn't off Eeth Sloth at the beginning, which was planned, because he doesn't like it when they introduce a cool character only to kill them off (how often does that honestly happen?  Has it ever happened to anyone but Vebb?  At least from the good guy's POV anyway.).

So ok, Eeth Sloth's alive, but was he even that "cool" to anyone?  He's as interesting as any of the Jedi for sure, but he's cannon fodder since he has a pretty solid replacement waiting in the wings almost identical to him.

I dunno, it's still lame he didn't get killed by Grievous at the onset.  That would've had much greater impact.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 8, 2010, 07:15 AM »
I honestly thought this episode was going to kill off TWO Jedi - both Eeth Koth and Adi Gallia are MIA in ROTS, so who knows whether or not they really care about the Comic Book stories of the Clone Wars.

Perhaps because Star Wars: Obsession was the Dark Horse lead-in to ROTS, they are going to leave it alone (one can only hope).

Keep in mind of course, that the only reason we even have Eeth Koth/Agen Kolar and Adi Gallia/Stass Allie is because GL was too cheap to fly the original extras to Australia for the filming of EP2 and EP3. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that he put Silas Carson into both Ki-Adi-Mundi and Nute Gunray costumes which necessitated him making a flight to Australia for EP2 and EP3.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 8, 2010, 10:35 AM »
I agree, I think it would have more impact if Grievous offed a jedi here or there once in awhile (Vebb aside).  Also, this is sort of off topic, but this is an example of why I sometimes have problems with the EU stuff.  There is just so much of it out there these days, something is always contradicting something else anymore.  Now, I'm not someone that has read a lot of EU, so I guess I don't get as upset (or am even aware) as many others are...but I think it is tough not to step on stuff here and there anymore.

I sort of look like things with Lucas' involvement take precedence over everything else (the movies, and now the series), but at the same time I can see why it can be annoying when things are always changing.  Heck we're already seeing things that might have to be changed/explained/resolved with the movies and CW, at least as far as Ahsoka and Rex go (and the fact that there is no mention of Ahsoka at all, after a fairly significant relationship with both Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Again, off topic a bit, but I think the EU in general could stand to be condensed (seems like we say this a lot about Star Wars this day).  I know I'd be more inclined to get into it if it wasn't so overwhelming at this point with all of the books and new releases.  If they had less books each year, and made each one a "major" release, it might help a lot of things.  I know back in the days of the Thrawn trilogy and others were towards the top of the bestsellers lists, and I don't know if that is the case with SW novels anymore (although it might be, I don't keep track of that a lot).  Anyways, back on topic now... :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: January 8, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Kind of perplexing why there's not a new episode on tonight...  They just came back, and already a re-run?  This show's good, but it's certainly patience-testing with them pissing around showing new episodes.  I thought we were past the "holiday break" they felt was necessary.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #145 on: January 8, 2010, 10:10 PM »
I don't mind - watch Dollhouse!   ;D

I would like to see more from Grievous and the bad guys in general.  I give the show a lot of credit for a fairly sophisticated approach to war for a cartoon, but I'd like to see the enemy own the Jedi/Clones at some stage. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2010, 09:21 AM »
I feel indifferent about last night's episode.

I am very excited for next week. Obi Wan with his lightsaber battling a Mandalore with a Beskar sword. SWEET
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2010, 10:17 AM »
It feels like I've said this a few times this season, but wow, last night's episode may be one of the best so far. That ancient Jedi guy was a lot of fun and it was nice to get a little break from clones and droids. AND did anyone else notice what looked like one of the Tonnikas when Jocasta Nu was surfing the web? I might be wrong, but it looked like one of the star whores.

Anyway, I thought last night's episode was really awesome.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Yeah I caught that David, and it was a neat easter egg.  I immediatlely thought that it might lead to an action figure.  One can hope I guess :-\

The "bounty hunter" thing really didn't make much sense though and I was a little confused on the plot I guess (as to why they wanted the lightsaber to begin with) But it was still a fun episode.  Next week though looks like it kicks all sorts of ass and I can't wait to start building more Madalorian armies.  I hope though is that they can somehow make them more realistic than animated looking figures.  Sort of like the clones only beefier I guess

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2010, 12:54 PM »
I immediatlely thought that it might lead to an action figure.  One can hope I guess :-\

Won't that be a fun day in the forums when they reveal an animated Tonnika Sister in the CW line despite constantly rejecting them over in the movie line... I'm sure everyone will love that.   :-X

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:22 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender