Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68502 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2010, 11:13 PM »
And I was thinking Gammorean. ;D

Honestly haven't been all that impressed with Season Two, and this after really really enjoying Season One. Just seems to be floundering without much overall direction. I felt Cad Bane was horribly misused after a promising introduction, and there haven't been many highlights. The Clone farmer episode, maybe, and the inital reinvasion of Geonosis. Mandalore was lame and didn't at all match what I wanted out of them.

This is promising, though. Here's hoping Season Three can rebound.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Fans of submarine movies like The Hunt for Red October are going to LOVE this week's episode " Cat and Mouse" 8). There are also some great nods to the OT in the episode as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:16 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Yes, I think this upcoming episode is going to get back to some good old fashioned warrin' roots...

Season two has been a tad helter skelter and that's hurt it in my eyes.  I agree on Bane being underused (as was the "Rise of the Bounty Hunters" mantra...  They should've stuck more with that).  I thought episodes like last weeks held their own, and Lightsaber Lost.  They were fun, but I really didn't care for the Clone farmer episode.  I felt that one was lacking.

The reinvasion of Geonosis was very cool though...  I just wish they'd have tried to focus more on the Bounty Hunter arc, and keep it going throughout some of those other episodes.

I'm hoping it's at least ending on a Bounty Hunter note than anything...  They're a key point that can be milked and enjoyed by many I believe.  Bane could be one of just many cool aspects.

The mandalorians let me down too.  They were a low-light, and why I'm kind of hoping for an upswing.  That whole Mandalore sidetrack was less than interesting.  They had nothing to do with bountyhunting and things.  It was ok to watch and had its entertaining moments, but it was the lowest point of season 2.  I still think the series is great, and if that's the low point that's not horrible, but for me it was the lowest point... and it was what, 3 episodes?  That's left me jonesin' for better.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07 AM »
Yes, I think this upcoming episode is going to get back to some good old fashioned warrin' roots...

For sure. The whole episode involves military strategy/evasion and despite this space battle leading right into the battle of Christophisis, it stands perfectly on its own and the final act is sweet.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2010, 02:37 AM »
ANother pre-Christophsis episode?  Interesting.  I like that the timeline of this series is somewhat ambiguous.  You can gauge some stuff happens before/after others, but there's something of a mystery to some of it and how it fits.  I have a feeling that's somewhat intentional to cram a lot into the 3-year-CW era.  Not to mention all the CW2D and other CW **** that needs crammed into that era.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2010, 01:41 AM »
Yes, tonight's episode was fun.  Very much the WWII submarine movie feel and the scene where Senator Organa gets bombed sort of had a WWII Battle of Britain Blitz feel to it, sirens and eveything.  The OT dialogue tidbits were nice as well, particularly Organa's "Help me Obi Wan..." line 8)

Overall, I have enjoyed this season.  I'm not as wild into the whole bounty hunter thing as other fans may be and was sort of glad it got downplayed to some more spectacular events such as the re-invasion of Geonosis story arc as well as some of the political intrigue type stories.  The episodes are certainly "helter skelter" as far as a timeline is concerned, but individual ones have been particularly enjoyable and fun and there's been a much greater effort to show more ties to the OT in this season.  All good in my book ;)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2010, 01:42 AM »
Tonight's episode had all of the elements of a WWII era submarine movie.  Which for me was a very interesting turn.  It's great to see how the series has visited a number of genres.  Last week it seemed to be a film noir/Peter Lorre kind of deal.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2010, 08:40 PM »
I enjoyed last night, especially the music, which evoked James Horner's Star Trek scores, right down to the virtual echo of the Klingon theme toward the end.  I loved the submarine vibe, too, even though the strategy involved in the entire thing was as sound as the rest of the series.

I disagree with the Mandalores being the low point of the year.  I see that arc as the high point, tied with Geonosis.  I'm not a EU guy, so I don't have any preconceptions going in to color the Mandos, and the character building with Obi and Satine was for the series, superb. 

I think the Bounty Hunter thing was oversold, too, but I don't particularly mind.  The season has been somewhat uneven, due in part to its schedule, but overall it's much more solid than last year in every way.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2010, 06:29 PM »
I don't mind the EU clashing of the Mandalore episodes at all, it is what it is and you just choose to view things however you want.  What I didn't care for was the sort of slow nature of the Mandalore episodes.  They felt wasted and were just less interesting to me compared to other episode arcs.  The Geonosis episodes were losing me with the zombie geonosians in the 2nd episode.  I was caught back with that one with the third episode then.

The Mandalore ones were just slow to me...  They had cool points, but were mixed with points I found dull.  I still liked them ultimately, just not as much as most of Season two.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2010, 02:16 AM »
In TV Guide this week (yes, it still exists) there's a preview of the season 2 finale for Clone Wars...

It hints at the aforementioned spoilered character's motives (obvious), and who he's bringing with him, like a certain lizard buddy of his, and a chick that needs sunscreen.  A certain pirate leader is making a comeback as well, and some people who don't like each other may need to work together.

Sounded interesting and it's actually 3 episodes but 2 are a double-header which I believe is how Season 1 ended also, no?  2 weeks, 3 episodes?

Eh, anyway the article was a little more light-shedding.  Spoilers and stuff like that are mixed in there.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #205 on: April 2, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Great episode tonight.  Really nice animation and use of color (the cinematography - not sure if the term applies here - on the show increases in quality all the time).  Love the ejection bubbles!  The bounty hunters!  Especially Embo.  Wow. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #206 on: April 3, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Yeah Embo was bad ass.  I love the charge with his head down taking shots on the noggin.  The sniper dude must have been an after thought because he was barely in there.

I expected Anakin to kick Hondo off the cliff.  Especially after seeing how Obi-Wan was looking away in disgust.  I also love love love their spaceship.  That thing is so retro sweet!  Cool nod to the Seven Samurai :)  I liked this one a lot. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #207 on: April 3, 2010, 01:01 AM »
I liked tonight's episode...  It wasn't my favorite but I thought it was entertaining and unique.  I too thought the guy with the hat was pretty badass.  The Sniper also got me as sort of secondary since she just barely blipped, and did she die?  I didn't see her at the end.

The whiney farmer was...  well...  really whiney.  Like Farmboy Luke on whiney steroids.

Lots of good details and I agree the colors were used really well.

I thought Hondo's gang seemed a little sparse at times, but then more of them would turn up.  Where's everyone else in the tank too?  Surely it wasn't just him and his monkey driving it?

A neat episode...  Again, not my favorite, but neat.  Weird that the Bounty Hunters we saw ultimately weren't really important, unless they resurface somewhere? 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: April 3, 2010, 01:18 AM »
Cool nod to the Seven Samurai :) 

Yeah, definitely. 

I loved those little turtle-y farmer guys - is that what they were, turtles?  Or more fishy than turtle?  Either way, I thought they were sort of fun characters. I wouldn't mind Hasbro whipping up a figure for one of them... :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #209 on: April 3, 2010, 01:32 AM »
Somehow they were cooler than the Lurmen guys.  Those Lemurs in the big coconut houses.