Author Topic: Cash for Clunkers  (Read 1925 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Cash for Clunkers
« on: August 6, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here has taken advantage of this program and if so - what kind of new vehicle/deal you got.  I had a 92 Celica a few years back which would have qualified, but all I got was a lousy $500 for trade in value.  I now have an 06 Explorer which is a gas guzzler, but unfortunately it's not a clunker in the government's eyes.  Apparently my suv will be worth nothing in 10 years, but such is life. 

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:

1. 1998 Ford Explorer
2. 1997 Ford Explorer
3. 1996 Ford Explorer
4. 1999 Ford Explorer
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee
6. Jeep Cherokee
7. 1995 Ford Explorer
8. 1994 Ford Explorer
9. 1997 Ford Windstar
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:

1. Ford Focus
2. Honda Civic
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Toyota Prius
5. Ford Escape
6. Toyota Camry
7. Dodge Caliber
8. Hyundai Elantra
9. Honda Fit
10. Chevy Cobalt

Hopefully this won't turn into a "political" thread, but I'm sure it will...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Cash for Clunkers
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2009, 09:13 PM »
We don't have the cash at the moment to take advantage of this program, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say my 1999 Olds Intrigue would qualify.  I'd really like to replace this car...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 7, 2009, 12:07 AM »
I wish we had the program up here, I'd do it in a second.  My 98 Altima has over 200,000 miles on it.  It doesn't use any less gas than it otherwise did when it was new, but for the ethanol in it now.  I'd imagine that would qualify and for those rates, I'd trade it in.  Without it, I'm keeping it for a long time.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2009, 01:48 AM »
My current vehicle qualifies as a clunker.  It's 8+ years old, gets at best 18mpg and has well over 180,000 miles on it (that was a lot of toy runs!).  And I found a vehicle that I can get which would get me the maximum benefit from the Cars program.  And I visited my local car dealer yesterday to set up a deal that's pending on the infusion of more cash into the program.  

Tonight the Senate approved another $2 billion for the program.  It's really a tremendous opportunity to get some gas guzzlers off the road as well as getting some money infused into the economy.  And it's going to be great to spend some money on a new vehicle, rather than trying to maintain an 8 year old car that has seen far better days.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2009, 01:50 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2009, 02:37 AM »
Wowzers, my girlfriend's mom drives a '90s Explorer ... looks like I should talk her into putting the beast out of its misery.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I wish we had the program up here, I'd do it in a second.  My 98 Altima has over 200,000 miles on it.  It doesn't use any less gas than it otherwise did when it was new, but for the ethanol in it now.  I'd imagine that would qualify and for those rates, I'd trade it in.  Without it, I'm keeping it for a long time.

What's your combined mileage?  Has to be 18 mpg or worse to qualify.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #6 on: August 7, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Make sure you're using the fed's offiical system for determining your car's MPG - http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/CarsSearchIntro.shtml

As far as I am aware this is the only system they use to determine if your car qualifies for the program - again must be 18 MPG or less. Unfortunately, I found that my car is rated at 19 MPG so I'm SOL...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 7, 2009, 02:47 PM »

What's your combined mileage?  Has to be 18 mpg or worse to qualify.

Ah, then I wouldn't be close to qualifying.  My highway is still at or above 30 mpg and probably closer to 35.  City is pretty low, it's never been great in stop and go traffic even for a four cylinder, but it would be above 18 mpg regardless.  I do not own a clunker, it would appear. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 7, 2009, 03:12 PM »

As far as I am aware this is the only system they use to determine if your car qualifies for the program - again must be 18 MPG or less. Unfortunately, I found that my car is rated at 19 MPG so I'm SOL...

I'm in the same boat....and possibly the same car!
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 7, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Too bad my '03 Accent isn't on the list. Probably because I get always get between 37-40 MPG.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours