Author Topic: Toyfare 2009 Fan's Choice Voting  (Read 69337 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Toyfare 2009 Fan's Choice Voting
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2010, 12:50 PM »
I also voted for Bastilla - and like Greedo - I too want them to one day give us every one of the crew members of the Ebon Hawk - from both KOTOR and KOTOR2. I doubt that will ever happen, but hey one can dream.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2010, 01:04 PM »
Here is another amazing result of this poll: Bastila beat out Jocasta by a mere .6% according to Toyfare.  ::)

Edit: also there is a 50/50 split for male and female* figures for the top ten. So much for the weak popularity of female characters.  :P

*Guri being a female replica droid of course.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:08 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Man...even the Top 10 makes me sort of puke ::)

1) Bastila Shan 10.6%
2) Jocasta Nu 10%
3) Darth Caedus  8%
4) Darth Plageuis  7.9%
5) Jaxxon  4%
6) Admiral Pellaeon  3.7%
7) Dash Rendar  3.7%
8 ) Guri  3.6%
9) Dorme  3.5%
10) Bariss Offee 3.5%
11) Weequay Skiff Master  3.5%
12) Tzizvvt  2.9%
13) Kittster and Wald 2.8%
14) Toryn Farr  2.6%
15) Cane Adiss  2.4%
16) Rebel Fleet Trooper  2.4%
17) Bom Rimdin  2.4%
18) Cliegg Lars  2.3%
19) Joruus C’Baoth  2.3%
20) Grand Moff Torkin  2.1%
21) Ben-Quadinaros  2.1%
22) Darth Sidious  1.9%
23) Queen Apailana  1.8%
24) Tey How  1.8%
25) Sim Aloo  1.7%
26) Sgt. Doallyn  1.5%
27) Taym Dren-Garen  1.3%
28) Dr. Evazan  1%
29) Corde  0.8%
30) Queen Jamilla  0.7%

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2010, 01:36 PM »
Man...even the Top 10 makes me sort of puke ::)

I think we've gathered you don't like the EU stuff. But the people who voted for it do which I believe is the idea of the fan's choice voting.

Edit- I read your post a few down so I see some of where you're coming from.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:42 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I'm a big EU fan, so probably more excited to see some of these like Nick.  That said, I could easily do without ever seeing 75% of that list.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I'm a big EU fan, so probably more excited to see some of these like Nick.  That said, I could easily do without ever seeing 75% of that list.

I'm not sure if it's legal to be a big EU fan if you haven't read the Thrawn trilogy yet.  ;)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2010, 01:53 PM »

I'm not sure if it's legal to be a big EU fan if you haven't read the Thrawn trilogy yet.  ;)

What if I've read 2/3 of the thrawn trilogy AND the comic books for DFR?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I don't mind EU at all...I've bought pretty much everything.  I have a problem with how and who has conducted the last two polls because I don't feel it represents the collecting community at all.  It is includes votes from video gamer types who probably don't really collect SW other than maybe casually and vote based on it being run by a magazine that is caters to predominantly a video game/CBG readership.

To further that, look at how EU does here and to an extent at RS ontheir wishlist polls...certainly not 8 of the top 10.

Rebelscums Wishlists Results
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:22 PM by Scott »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Very pleased with the results. Bastila was a key player in KOTOR. And KOTOR has been widely hailed as one of the greatest RPG's of all time, as well as one of the most significant non-film contributions to the Star Wars universe.

I think when you factor in the broad appeal that KOTOR had with more casual fans of Star Wars, it makes Bastila's win that much more clear. And I think her win along with the top 5 gives some hope to EU fans that were disappointed about the cancellation of the comic 2-pack line some hope.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Wow. In my opinion, that's a VERY disappointing list. I think it's a bummer that there isn't a single OT character in the top 10. I also agree with Scott that this poll does not accurately represent the collecting community. Oh well.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2010, 04:17 PM »
I will also say that I realize that our site and a few others out there not named Rebelscum are more of the old guard collecting since78 type people who are a lot more interested in the OT over the PT over anythign else.  I get that...but Darth Caedus did not receive one solitary vote in the last Defender Wishlists.  Plagueius got 2...2!  Jocasta Nu, Shan and Jaxxon were at least on the radar but seriously...cranky old man rant over

As a fellow old crank I agree with you.  Darth Plagueis' popularity is a little baffling, although it seems it's more on the potential of something that could be great rather than genuine interest in what he is.  I'm curious how many people knew he's San Hill in a robe.  (And as always, if anyone out there is a big Plagueis booster, just know that you are wrong, and re-education camps are being formed for your benefit.  Do not fear them.  They are here to help you.)

The percentages as shown on Wizard's site are really fascinating, and it does show that the voting fanbase is really split in what it wants-- even a "winner" is a not-very-big 10.6% of the vote.  Apparently nothing really got anybody all that fired up.

At #5, Jaxxon had just 4% of the vote, and everything after him didn't have a great showing.  If a poll's margin of error is +/- 3%, as is often stated, then you can pretty much round down the bottom 18 to 0.

I think it's a bummer that there isn't a single OT character in the top 10. I also agree with Scott that this poll does not accurately represent the collecting community. Oh well.

While I'm also bummed about the lack of OT I think it probably does represent the community.  Based on what people say in the forums and what I get asked in my Q&A column, the only real surprise is that Jaxxon did as well as he did.  (And to that I say hooray, I like Marvel.)  The rest of the top 5 were either heavily campaigned for or are relatively well known by the community, and anything under 4% can be statistically ignored really.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Nice to see the full list, as sad as it may be. Dash in Guri in top 10 is great becuase i really want both of them but Sim Aloo at 25 really hurts.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I'm surprised by the EU heaviness, but happy to see Dorme's (relatively) strong showing.  Hopefully Hasbro will get around to making her.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2010, 09:22 PM »
The overall trend in the top ten is enlightening.

-7 EU characters (3 from video games)
-3 PT characters
-ZERO OT characters

And the precipitous dropoff from the No. 4 to No. 5 positions is notable, too.  But it's clear that Jocasta Nu made significant headway in the voting.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Well I think part of the reason for strong EU showings in these polls is that those figures have a tougher time of actually getting made.  A lot of people probably just assume that whatever is from the OT and PT is going to get made eventually.  So, they may vote for EU instead.  To be honest they have made practically everything from the OT that we would be dying to get.  I want to see Sim Aloo made as much as the next OT loving person but it's not exactly something everyone else is clamoring for.  It's pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrell now for OT figures.