Multimedia > The Prequel Trilogy

Why would Lars take in baby Luke?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jabba the Slug:
Don't forget that at this time Obi-Wan thinks Anakin is dead. It isn't till the end of the Dark Lord novel focusing on Vader that Obi-Wan hears Vader is alive. So, to Obi-Wan, it's just a matter of hiding the child from Palpatine. It isn't until later that Vader realizes the kids survived and he has the opportunity to find the children.

Pete_Fett:
I apologize if I'm getting the books wrong, it's either in The Approaching Storm or the novellization for Attack of the Clones that they give the reader insight into the life that Shmi lead with the Lars'.

I'm pretty sure that in one of those two the books, they establish that Shmi loved Cliegg as a husband and Owen as a son, and that Owen loved his stepmother as he would his biological mother. So the bond between Shmi and Owen was pretty strong.

We also don't know how long they had been Stepmother/Stepson - it could have been for as long as seven or eight years.

In some of those same scenes they also establish that Shmi and Beru have a well developed relationship.

And also in the novellization for Attack of the Clones there is a pretty sweet/tender scene between Beru and Padme. (the inclusion of this scene in the movie would have really helped with the whole Beru becomes Luke's mom thing, but that's a mute point)

So for me, I always just rationalized that Owen & Beru took in Luke because they both loved Shmi and Luke is Shmi's orphaned grandson.

Matt_Fury:
It was the AOTC novel.

Pete_Fett:

--- Quote from: Matt_Fury on April 19, 2010, 09:28 PM ---It was the AOTC novel.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Matt.

Now that I'm home, I thumbed through the novels a bit.

Those scenes at the Lars homestead before Shmi is taken by the Tuskens take place during the events of The Approaching Storm and during that book, Anakin first starts to have the nightmares about his mother.

I always thought it should have come out that either Sidious or Dooku (on orders from Sidious) was behind the Tuskens taking Shmi. Just like in The Empire Strikes Back when Vader holds Han, Chewie and Leia hostage and causes them agony to draw out Luke, taking Shmi and torturing her was all done to draw out Anakin, bring him to Tatooine and drive him into doing something that would draw him closer to the dark side - just like Ben and Yoda warning Luke that rushing off to face Vader would bring him closer to the dark side.

Jabba the Slug:

--- Quote from: Pete_Fett on April 20, 2010, 01:17 AM ---I always thought it should have come out that either Sidious or Dooku (on orders from Sidious) was behind the Tuskens taking Shmi. Just like in The Empire Strikes Back when Vader holds Han, Chewie and Leia hostage and causes them agony to draw out Luke, taking Shmi and torturing her was all done to draw out Anakin, bring him to Tatooine and drive him into doing something that would draw him closer to the dark side - just like Ben and Yoda warning Luke that rushing off to face Vader would bring him closer to the dark side.

--- End quote ---

...WoW! Now that would have been clever. Bravo!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version