Author Topic: Busts & Statues from non-Star Wars lines  (Read 5119 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Busts & Statues from non-Star Wars lines
« on: September 9, 2009, 09:35 AM »
I didn't see a thread out there covering this subject (except a Bowen Marvel thread from a few years ago), so I thought I'd start a new one.  Mods, if there is one out there, feel free to point me in the right direction and kill this post. 

Just wondering who else out there gets into non-SW busts and statues.  I've always had a keen interest in Sideshow's Marvel stuff but never really jumped into it until recently.  Being a primarily female character collector I have the Rogue and Black Cat Comiquettes and just recently got the Black Queen.  The stuff they do off of Hughes' work is incredible.

I also just got into the Women/Cover Girls of the DC Universe busts and statues from DC Direct.  I have a few of the busts (Starfire, Power Girl, Zatanna, and I have Supergirl on the way) but just got my first statue - Zatanna - last week.  Quite a piece of work, and I'm pretty certain my next purchase will be the first statue from that series (Wonder Woman).  Basically Adam Hughes' work is killing my wallet right now.

I used to have all of the Alien stuff from Palisades but unloaded it when I unloaded my Alien collection a few years ago.  Kind of wish I still had those though, despite a couple of issues with breakage. 

John

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Busts & Statues from non-Star Wars lines
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:14 PM »
I don't collect any other bust or statues lines besides Star Wars, mostly due to budget issues.  There are a lot of different properties out there, from multiple companies, that are interesting.  The Comiquettes you mention are nice.  The Rogue is hot and so is the White Queen.

I also like the Bishoujo statues that Kotobukiya is putting out.  I'm a fan of that anime style to begin with but what Koto did with Rogue?  Forget about it.  It's embarrassing to admit how hot I think that statue is.

The statues and busts based on comic superheroes hold the most interest for me.  While GG and others have done interesting things with Harry Potter, Halo and various movie, TV and game properties, I've never been that drawn to them.  The superhero stuff from Bowen and DC Direct, though, top notch stuff.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Eric, I just got that Koto Rogue from TFAW yesterday.  Didn't have a chance to break it open yet but plan on doing so tonight.  It looks absolutely fantastic.  I'm hoping the line continues beyond the few that have been announced so far.  Scarlet Witch and Black Widow are OK, but I'd much rather see the likes of Mystique or Elektra.

I agree with what you say about superheroes vs movie properties.  Things like Hellboy, HP, etc are really cool looking, but nothing I'll pay full retail for.  The good thing is that others seem to feel the same and a lot of them can be had cheap not long after their release.

John

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Just ordered the new Classic Uncle Scrooge statue.  I don't usually buy many statues but this one is very cool and of my favorite Disney character. 

http://www.darkhorse.com/Products/16-120/Uncle-Scrooge-Comics-Character-1-Uncle-Scrooge

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:32 AM »
Nice pick up, John.  I'll be looking for a photo review of the Koto Rogue!

I think the Black Widow statue is pretty hot as well (redhead FTW!) but the Scarlet Witch, while nice, isn't quite on the same level.  I believe Koto has a Psylocke and Phoenix scheduled also.

I've never been a huge fan of Mystique but I'd love to see them tackle Elektra and Emma Frost.  Black Cat would look good in this style, I think, and so would Silver Sable.  I always have to throw a word in for Sable, that's one of the more obscure characters I've always liked.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:52 AM »
A few months ago I started my collection with a Spider-Man 3 Venom mini-bust, and just yesterday I picked up this treat for myself, for working 15 days in a row, and because I couldn't find it around my birthday. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:14 AM »
That's an excellent Batman bust.  I don't think I've seen that before but that's the outfit I like him in best...plus you can't go wrong with a gargoyle.

E...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Kevin, that's a sweet statue.  New one to me as well - is it DC Direct?

Eric, here are some Rogue photos.

http://www.comicchix.com/imagegallery/marvel/rogue/kotobukiya-bishoujo-pvc-statue/

It's a really good looking piece, but I thought it might be a *bit* sturdier than it is.  It's not like it's going to snap in half of anything, I guess I just thought for $50 it would be a bit heavier than the likes of the old Applause Star Wars statues.  It's really a nice concept though - I went ahead and preordered a Scarlet Witch and will more than likely pick up a Black Widow.  Thanks for the tidbit about Psylocke and Phoenix - those are both characters I'd have a high interest in.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, John.  That is a good looking statue.

One thing that I don't like about some of the statues that come out from various companies are the bases the character stands on.  In a lot of cases it seems like they're uninspired.  The plain white base on the Rogue and Black Widow, for example, seem kind of boring.  I guess you could argue that it doen't distract from the statue.

But then you see the Batman bust and the base on that is pretty cool and really becomes part of the overall piece.  That's one of the shortcommings on the GG Star Wars busts IMO as well.  The basic black base is fine, I guess, to go with many different types of characters but when you look at the bases they did for Harry Potter and LOTR it makes you wonder what they could have done with the SW characters.  Maybe Lucasfilm wanted the bases the way they are?  Don't know.

Anyway, excellent photos of Rogue.  Like I said earlier, I really like that statue.  I'm looking forward to production photos of Psylocke.

E...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 03:08 PM »
I saw today they're making a long-coat version of the Bishoujo Rogue.  *sigh*  It's going to be hard to stay in a line that offers variants of every $50 figure they sell.  :(  It'll kill it pretty fast for me and a lot others, methinks.

On an unrelated note, I got my Dagger Comiqutte from CSC yesterday.  Really a nice looking piece, but I had some issues getting it together correctly.  Getting the hands to hold the cloak was nerve-wracking.  Here's a review if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.comicchix.com/2009/09/review-sideshow-mark-brooks-dagger-comiquette/

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 05:23 PM »
Nice looking statue.  I understand your frustation with the hands holding the cloak.  One of the things I didn't like about the GG Maquettes is a couple of them, Anakin specifically, required you to flex the statue to get the pegs into the base.  Here you have to fiddle with the hands to hold the cloak.  I sold my maquettes and haven't bought more since.

When you pay that much scratch for a statue the last thing you want is to be afraid of breaking it just putting it on display.  I think that's one of the reasons I don't collect statues or the 1:4 scale Sideshow stuff...too afraid something might break.  It's bad enough on a $50 bust (which I still buy), but on something that costs, $200, $300?  No thank you.

Thanks for the review, John.

E...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26 PM »
I got my She-Hulk Comiquette and Premium Emma Frost the other day.  I haven't opened the Emma yet...I saw it in person at a local shop and wasn't overly impressed, but mine was already on the way from CSC.  I was hoping it would look better in person.  I'm considering dumping it and cutting my losses but I'll probably end up regretting it.

I do like the She-Hulk quite a bit, despite the fact that mine has Marty Feldman eyes.  :(  I did a full run-down if anyone's interested in seeing it:

http://www.figureportal.com/reviews/review-sideshow-she-hulk-comiquette

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Hey John.  Nice update.  I have to admit, I haven't been on your sites in a few weeks so I had some catching up to do.

I like the She-Hulk for the most part.  I agree that the sculpting on her is excellent but my main issue is the colors.  I usually think of Hulk and She-Hulk being a little brighter green.  Not neon, but a little lighter than this.  It just seems that with the dark green, plus the green hair and dark leather, that this statue could fade into the background really easily.  Maybe it pops a little better in person.

I see what you were saying about the paint on the right eye, but it's not that bad.  Directly on you can tell but from the angles it looks fine.  Overall it's a good looking statue and it's good to hear that it doesn't have any problems as far as assembly goes.

E...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #13 on: February 1, 2010, 02:20 PM »
*droooool*

Here's a review and gallery for anyone that's interested.

Love it...she definitely beats out Rogue as my favorite so far.

John