Author Topic: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03  (Read 18226 times)

Virex

Re: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2003, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for the scoop(s) again Virex.  That Vacation box set looks pretty cool, but the only movie I HAVE to have in my collection is the original Vacation.  I'm not sure if I need the other three, though I found them pretty funny as well.  I suppose I'll just hold off for a while, and if I catch the box set on a big sale, I'll go ahead and snag it.

Yeah, you know, I'm already getting Vacation and Christmas Vacation, and I've always been curious about European Vacation, so what the hell.  Like I said, if you were to buy three of the individual versions, it'd be about the same amount of money as buying the box, so why not?  (Kind of similar to the John Hughes High School Reunion box deal).

Keep on keepin' us posted on the DVD news front!  I'm diggin' it!   :-*

Thanks!  I will.  :)  Lately, I'm more into DVD and home theatre stuff than Star Wars stuff, anyway.  (Plus, it's nice to actually be able to go into a store and find something you're looking for, for a change!)  :P

Question: There's still no new releases planned for any further Gladiator or Saving Private Ryan DVDs, is there?  Thanks!

Gladiator is actually, getting ready to go to a cheaper, single-disc version here pretty soon (nothing to get excited about, it's just a truncated version of the current disc).  Is there something wrong with the current two-disc version?  That's one of the best-selling, most-loaded DVDs you can buy.

EDIT:  And actually, if you're putting off buying the current, two-disc Gladiator, for whatever reason, I would probably go ahead and pick it up now, as it's going out of print in favor of the one-disc-er.  But that's just me.  

Nothing for SPR at this time, although I'm going to guess that we'll see a two- or three-disc set for that one within the next two or three years.  Nothing this year, though.  (Next year, we should also be getting a fairly nice Schindler's List DVD, by the way.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 03:06 PM by Virex »

Virex

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2003, 12:25 AM »
Just a reminder that Daredevil is being released today.

Looks like Best Buy and Circuit City are both going to be selling it for $15.99, for those of you that are picking it up.

It's also available in both "fullscreen" and widescreen versions, so get the right one. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2003, 09:30 AM »
I only by fullscreen, who wants those ugly black bars on top of everything...

BTW, I finally watched my bootlegged X2 last night, great movie, OK bootleg, a lot of the stuff was pretty washed out (such as Wolvie's scenes in the mountains) so it looks like I will be buying an official release as well. :-*

Virex

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2003, 11:36 AM »

If you were smart, you would have waited to say that until after I sent your CDs. . .   :-X

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2003, 12:44 PM »

If you were smart, you would have waited to say that until after I sent your CDs. . .   :-X

I mean, who really needs to see the sides of the action in a movie anyway?  I like to get the whole thing and fill up my 36" TV not leave half of it blank.

They should charge less for "Wrong"screen

Virex

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2003, 12:54 PM »
I mean, who really needs to see the sides of the action in a movie anyway?  I like to get the whole thing and fill up my 36" TV not leave half of it blank.

They should charge less for "Wrong"screen

All right, I'm not going to let your idiotic comments ruin my thread any longer.

Go listen to your Creed records, or something.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2003, 01:46 PM »
True story...

My childhood was chock full of viewing of the classic Sci-Fi film Star Wars.  One of me and my buddies nagging questions always was "Where is the Tusken Luke can see in his binocs???"  My know it all friend swore you could see him standing by the Bantha.  It wasn't until I got widescreen videos did I realize how utterly dumb the whole concept is and how wrong my know it all friend actually was

Jango Fettish

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2003, 02:14 PM »
Just a reminder that Daredevil is being released today.

Looks like Best Buy and Circuit City are both going to be selling it for $15.99, for those of you that are picking it up.

It's also available in both "fullscreen" and widescreen versions, so get the right one. . .

Target has it for $14.99, and Audioslave's DVD is out today as well. Don't think it was mentioned.

Oh, if you buy Solaris and Daredevil at Target, you recieve $5 off, for a total of $30 for both.

However, you're scarred for life after seeing George Clooney's bare ass in Solaris, which isn't worth $5 off.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 02:16 PM by Jango Fettish »

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2003, 03:24 PM »
Hmm, I usually do buy fullscreen because those bars do annoy the hell out of me, I keep focusing on them during the whole movie.  I went and bought Daredevil today, I love that movie

Where in the hell did you get X2, OCB?
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Hmm, I usually do buy fullscreen because those bars do annoy the hell out of me, I keep focusing on them during the whole movie.  I went and bought Daredevil today, I love that movie

Where in the hell did you get X2, OCB?
Can't tell you...but did you ever see that Seinfeld where Jerry has to videotape movies for Kramer's buddy?  Its along those lines

And Lenny...I am not going to say this very often and hopefully Virex doesn't see this but...Fullscreen does indeed suck

Virex

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2003, 04:51 PM »
You know, I didn't like and understand widescreen myself, until the Sci-Fi Channel aired the original trilogy in letterbox around Thanksgiving 1995.  At that time, I realized how much information I was missing with my "regular" Star Wars VHS tapes--in fact, the scene that Scott mentioned earlier, with the Tusken Raider, was one of the ones that finally made sense in widescreen.

I was so impressed, that for Christmas a month later, my mom got me the widescreen THX box set, that I still have today.  It's been all widescreen ever since.  :)

StarWars.com did a fairly simple-yet-informative comparison between the two formats when the Episode II DVD came out last year:

StarWars.com Widescreen Vs. Fullscreen Comparison

Here are some of the better examples, which are quite stunning in illustrating the difference:

I'll close by saying that liking fullscreen makes Baby Jesus cry.  :P

Virex

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Here's the cover art for Finding Nemo, which is coming out November 4th, and is already shaping up to be another fantastic disc from Pixar:

Updated the list last night with the street dates for Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (not that anyone cares) :P, and the new James Bond re-releases.

Should be getting a date for X-Men 2 any day now. . .

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2003, 02:55 PM »
Nemo is on my definite must buy list.  Excellent movie (and I don't even have kids)
Common sense isn't so common

Jango Fettish

« Reply #43 on: August 5, 2003, 12:17 AM »
Tack on the "Carpenter Horror Collection" Set for October 7th. It includes
They Live, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and Village of the Damned. $29.99 at Amazon w/ Free shipping.

Virex

« Reply #44 on: August 5, 2003, 08:52 PM »
Tack on the "Carpenter Horror Collection" Set for October 7th. It includes
They Live, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and Village of the Damned. $29.99 at Amazon w/ Free shipping.

Thanks for the note.