Author Topic: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03  (Read 18221 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2003, 03:53 PM »
Virex, those were awesome!!  I now have a fantastic slide show for my screen saver...thanks!!
Beth

Virex

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2003, 09:25 PM »
Virex, those were awesome!!  I now have a fantastic slide show for my screen saver...thanks!!

Hey, no problem.  I'm not even that big a fan of Rings, myself, but I figured some people would enjoy the screen-caps.

And speaking of Rings again (which I get the feeling we'll be doing a lot of over the next couple of weeks months years), here's another review of the theatrical version:

(And, Star Wars Fanboys beware:  The first paragraph is a doozy.  Consider yourself warned.)

http://dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_7/lordoftherings_twotowers.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 09:26 PM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2003, 09:27 PM »
Picked Up Vacation tonight at Target, I said screw the boxset, I may or may not pick up Euro Vacation (good flick just not the greatest...There's Big Ben, Parliment)  

Christmas Vacation will be mine too and Vegas can stay at the store, horrible, horrible, horrible

Virex

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2003, 02:59 PM »
All right--updated the list with a few minor November and December releases, and linkified a few more.  

As for tomorrow's releases, it looks like the biggest two are going to be (obviously) The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers: Theatrical Edition and The Simpsons: The Complete Third Season.

Circuit City looks to have the lowest overall price on Two Towers at $14.99 - although Wal-Mart might be beating it.  (And, as a reminder, it's going to be available in both the widescreen and fullscreen versions, so get the correct one.)  

Best Buy has the Simpsons for $33.99 tomorrow, which, in and of itself, is the lowest advertised price, but they'll also give you another $10 off if you buy Family Guy: Seasons 1 & 2, Futurama Volume One, King of the Hill: The Complete First Season, or one of the first two seasons of The Simpsons along with it.  They all sell separately for $33.99.  So, if you need to catch up on those older sets, that might be the best way to go.

Big week next week!

Virex

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2003, 08:16 AM »
I don't post this meaning to confuse anyone here, but as more of a heads-up:

NEXT WEEK--Best Buy will be giving away the Dark City DVD for free, when you buy the Two Towers DVD for $17.99, along with a 16-pack of Duracell AA or AAA batteries for $8.99.  This starts next Sunday, 8/31, and runs through Saturday, 9/6.

So, if you can hold off on Two Towers for a few days, and need to buy some batteries anyway, this might be a deal worth waiting for.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 08:18 AM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2003, 09:56 AM »
Picked up the Simpsons and LOTR:TTT Widescreen this morning at Target, impulse buy.  The reasoning in the other thread convinced me I guess :-*

Jango Fettish

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2003, 04:24 AM »
I figured you fellow discheads would like to know that BestBuy.com is offering free shipping on everything until August 30th. I ordered The Matrix and Demolition Man for $24/shipped w/ tax. Not bad at all, considering the closest Best Buy is 45 miles away.

And heres a picture thats as pathetic as the movie itself. Go ahead and one up me, someone. This is the first I have seen of it though.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 04:27 AM by Cory H »

Virex

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2003, 09:42 AM »
All right, kids, here's a review from DVD File for the X2 DVD, nearly three months before its due in stores.   :o

Video - 4.5/5
Audio - 5/5
Extras - 4.5/5
Rom - .5/5
Value - 4.5/5

http://dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_7/x2.html

How 'bout that?

The Digital Bits was also supposed to have a review up for it yesterday, but Bill Hunt updated, saying that he was still going through the extras.  So, apparently, it's a loaded disc.  So, they'll have it up after Monday, and I'll post a link then.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 09:53 AM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2003, 10:43 AM »
Yeah that disc is a must buy I think, thanks for the info ayatollah.   :-*

Virex

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2003, 10:16 AM »
Okay, guys, for everyone interested in the three "new" John Hughes DVDs (The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Weird Science) this week:

Best Buy has the individual discs at $12.99 each, which is pretty much the cheapest they are anywhere.

However, according to their website, the three-pack is selling for $39.99.

3 Movie Brat Pack (3pc) : (Ws Sub) - DVD

Now, when you can buy the three individual discs for less than the box, that kind of defeats the purpose of the box, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, Amazon still has the three-pack for $29.98:

High School Reunion Collection (The Breakfast Club / Sixteen Candles / Weird Science)

(Plus, Amazon's doing free shipping on orders over $25 right now.)

So, if you only want one of the three, I'd say pick it up at Best Buy this week.

If you want two, well, you could get them at Best Buy for around $27-28 total, or you could spend a couple more bucks and get the three-pack from Amazon.

If you want all three, obviously Amazon is the way to go.

(By the way, for anyone expecting full-blown special editions, these discs are supposed to be quite un-remarkable, as far as DVDs go.  Although they sport new anamorphic widescreen transfers, and SC and WS have had their original theatrical soundtracks restored, the only extras to be found on these things are their trailers, apparently.  Of course, ultimately, the movie is the most-important thing, and these releases are the best these movies have looked and sounded since they were in the theatres twenty years ago--just don't expect any supplements, that's all.)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 1, 2003, 06:15 PM »
I must get the Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life". This looks like it's gonna be a gooder.  ;D

'Meaning of Life' 2-DVD set releases Tuesday

"I couldn't eat another thing. I'm absolutely stuffed."
"It's only wafer thin."  

Jango Fettish

« Reply #101 on: September 4, 2003, 10:36 AM »
24: Season 2 has been bumped up to September 9th, next Tuesday.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 9, 2003, 03:56 AM »
I picked up Bruce Campbell's Army Of Darkness Boomstick Edition 2 disc set. Man I just love this flick.

Give me some sugar, baby!  Groovy!  ;D

Jango Fettish

« Reply #103 on: September 9, 2003, 02:57 PM »
Picked up 24: Season 2 and Starship Troopers this afternoon. I finally found Enemy Mine for a decent price too! ($8.98 at WM) I'll be back for that one.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 9, 2003, 05:28 PM »
Picked up Family Guy Volume 2.

What's up with WalMart's DVD prices? I was at Target this morning, and their new releases were the typical 14-16 bucks. Went over to WalMart, and everything was marked at 19.99, even movies that were in the 14-16 dollar range just a few days ago. Either someone screwed the pooch on that one, or WalMart jacked up their prices...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."