Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33488 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #120 on: April 3, 2010, 01:21 AM »
The Stanley Cup (and other trophies like Art Ross, Hart, Con Smythe, etc.) are on display at the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh this week so I'm going to try and go see them.  I haven't ever gotten to see any of them in person, so I figure it'd be neat I guess.  Lines are still out the door as of an hour ago (11:30-ish my time).  The center's staying open till midnight every night this weekend I guess so they can accomodate the crowds. 

I figured it'd be easier to get in than that, but whatever.  The center's cool too, it has a lot of stuff about the city since it was just a fort and trading city with the Indians...  Lots of Pemmican slinging going around there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 3, 2010, 01:35 AM »
Try the Pemmican dude.  Trust me on this one. 

I've only ever seen the Cup since I work in Belfour's home town. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: April 4, 2010, 03:11 PM »
I got to see the Cup last night along with all the other trophies (Norris, Selke, Smythe, etc.), which was really great.

They were letting people hold the cup, kiss it, put their babies in it, take pictures with it...  I wasn't about to kiss it after everyone touched it like that though, haha.  I did get a cool picture of me holding it though, and the names of the Penguin teams to win the Cup up close as well.

I really enjoyed it despite a 2 hour wait in line to get to it.  I'm sure a lot of folks waited double that time behind me too, as the line was still out the door at 10:30 pm when we were leaving.

While no Pemmican was traded with the Canuck pilgrim handler that was traveling with the Cup, I did get a picture with him.  I told him the local Pemmican was excellent, and he should take some back to his native ancestral lands.  He told me, "Peace and good journeys pale face", and wandered into the mist with the Cup strapped to a pappoose on his back.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: April 5, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Well, an Avalanche OT win and a Wild OT loss over the weekend pretty much (finally) mathematically elimnated my team from the playoffs. 

Not a shock - a terrible start and a terrible post-olympics run sealed the deal for them.  We need so many things (sniper, #2 center, pure scorer, defense), it will be interesting to see how they play the off season game. 

Anyway, I guess it's time to hang up the green and red and dig out the red and white.  Long live the Winged Wheel.  ;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: April 8, 2010, 11:56 PM »
The final Regular Season Game at the Civic (Mellon) Arena tonight for the Penguins...  Consol Energy Center next year.  I sorta felt a little teary there at the end.  :'(

Every reason I ever played was because of the Penguins, and going to games down at the Igloo...  It's bittersweet.

"It's a great day for hockey."
-Badger Bob Johnson

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 9, 2010, 03:53 PM »
That's kinda funny - I didn't know it was actually called the Civic Arena.  I only ever knew it by its nickname, the Igloo.  RIP.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: April 9, 2010, 04:11 PM »
It was originally the Civic Arena, nicknamed "The Igloo" because it's a big stainless steel dome (the roof actually opens.  I watched a roller hockey game there once when they opened the roof for the fans, which was a real rare occurance).  The real name at the end of its life here was "Mellon Arena" for Mellon Bank.  I forget the year they bought the rights, it wasn't that long ago.  It was when every arena was becoming an advertisement for some big company in the area, haha.

New nicknames for the new arena are being tossed around.  One local writer wants to call it the Goal Mine.

I'll miss the Civic Arena though...  It's all I've ever known.  Some want to save it as a historic landmark and things, but it's pretty much doomed.  I'd dig a chair out of it if they put them up for sale I think.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44 AM »
A quick note to Detroit, San Jose, NJ, and Pitt - being the favorite means people expect you to WIN, not bend over. 

(And I'm especially sorry for you Jesse - At times last night, the Pens looked like the worst of the bunch... :-\)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Wow... I completely forgot the Cup playoffs started last night.

I guess when your team is elimnated, the face(and heart and soul) of the franchise for 20 years hangs them up (most likely) and the owner sux, you tend to forget the good teams are still playing.

I will now post my JINX alert...

These are the teams I WANT to win...has NOTHING to do with who I think will win....

Red Wings
Devils
Sabres
Habs
Blackhawks

the other games I don't have much interest in, but will watch them anyway.

Probably root for any Original 6 near the end.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2010, 12:15 PM »
the face(and heart and soul) of the franchise for 20 years hangs them up (most likely)

Did you watch that last Dallas game vs. Minn? 

The Wild played a nifty Modano tribute video during the first intermission highlighting his early years and later accomplishments.  Then, after the game they arranged for him to be the first star of the game and he skated out wearing his North Stars gear, it was pretty cool - brought back a lot of nice memories of those last few North Stars cup runs (90-91)

Online Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2010, 01:09 PM »
Can't forget NHL up here.  All four games were on TV up north last night.  Tonight three matchups and an AHL game on TV.  If you're a hockey fan, this time of year approaches nirvana. 

And yes, I am watching to see if the Jets jinx is still in place.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2010, 01:49 PM »
the face(and heart and soul) of the franchise for 20 years hangs them up (most likely)

Did you watch that last Dallas game vs. Minn? 

The Wild played a nifty Modano tribute video during the first intermission highlighting his early years and later accomplishments.  Then, after the game they arranged for him to be the first star of the game and he skated out wearing his North Stars gear, it was pretty cool - brought back a lot of nice memories of those last few North Stars cup runs (90-91)

I did watch that game.  I thought it was very cool to see him in the old sweater as well and had heard that it could have been a 9-0 Wild win and Modano was going to get #1 Star.  I think the same would have held true for the last home game here.

I  was at the Last Game Played here in Dallas.  It was a Modano, Lehtinen and Turco love fest.  They showed a Modano stat on the Screen and then showed him on the bench and the crowd gave him a 5 minute standing O.  He was choked up, it was pretty moving actually.

On a side note, we went to the game the Previous Friday and behind us at the Bar was Brett Hull (my wife's favorite player of all time)... it was the first Stars Game I have gone to in years that neither of us was wearing my Hull Jersey from the Cup (or Kick) year.  I got a terrible pic of Hull giving her a hug (iPhone cameras suck).  He was really cool about it.  We were not going to beat him down for pics/autographs but our server told us "that is why he is here, to interact with fans"...

It has been my impression that the NHL'ers  (in Dallas at least) are much more accomodating to fans, some of the things you see them do (ie giving Jerseys away at every home game) would NEVER happen in the NFL, NBA or MLB.  Maybe that is a slick marketing department too, and if so I fell for it.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2010, 02:25 PM »
That was a pretty classy move by the Wild to have Modano come out in his North Stars jersey.  Definitely one of the cooler things I've seen.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2010, 04:26 PM »
The Pens offense was on, then off, then on...  Their defense is my biggest worry, and has been all year (and it was last year too though, so what do I know?).  Every goal scored except the one Flurry got his ass bit on for coming out of the net was pretty much a defensive collapse...  That first one was Gonchar standing htere watching it happen and not even attempting to obstruct the Ottawa player's stick.  I saw Goligoski standing around looking like he didn't know what to do a couple times too (big shock!)...

It was nice seeing Malkin on fire, and FLeury had a bad night but I have faith in him turning that around (other more fair weather fans locally are calling for his head after one game).

Our defense though, we really never improved it after losing Scuderi and Gill...  McKee was brought in to replace Gill, and uh, where's McKee again?  Scuderi was simply not replaced and instead we rely on Eaton and Orpik to pick up the slack.  Gonchar's supposed to be making a name for himself going into free agency, but so far he's been hurt, sick, and ******* up defensively a lot without putting up his offensive numbers he usually does...  so....  uh, I dunno.

I didn't go into the playoffs this year with my head down, but the team this year has bigger problems than the team last year I think.  Still, I shaved Tuesday night to a fumanchu mustache and I'm now on my playoff beard growing way.  :)  We'll see what happens.  I think Fleury will rebound, like I said.  I don't know about our D stepping it up though.  They CAN, but will they?  That's the question.

Online Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2010, 12:31 AM »
Great Boston/Buffalo game tonight.  I have to admit I've come around to the notion of the short OT and the shootout in the regular season.  Much as it pains me, I see where the appeal of the lies for fans. 

That said I do so love the playoffs and the chance for multiple overtime periods, all sudden death.  Makes the game so much more exciting.