Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33311 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Wow, 8 rounds of shootout?  That's awesome. 

I don't think Fleury's ever beaten the Wild yet, so it's gonna be an interesting game.  They put on a good show against Toronto, but that's against Toronto...  It's been ugly some games with us lately.   Plus Orpik's scratched but Lovejoy's in and I've liked what he's brought to the games.

I'll keep an eye peeled for you Jeff.  You somehow found me in the sea of people at the first Winter Classic, so maybe I'll see you somewhere.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43 PM »
What'd I tell ya!? :)

You got a good game from Crosby, but Malkin was another no-show, and you got to see a blundering mess from LeTang and Goligoski on the blue-line...  Orpik being out hurts, but those two are both better than that.

You got also a weak performance from Fleury...  WTF his problem is, I don't know, but he usually is much better at handling low shots, and he just f'd up huge.

Good game on the score sheet, but MN was the clearly better team tonight, so I think you got hosed on that aspect Jeff, as far as a competitive game.  :(  Glad you got to see another win though, I never seem to see them win in person, and lately from my home as well.  I actually was flipping channels when I saw them doing dumbass **** they never fix or alter from.  Same with our skid last year, a lot of stuff they just don't fix for some reason and rely on the stars to bail their asses out, and right now one of their stars is at best a 3rd line player.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01 AM »
You got a good game from Crosby, but Malkin was another no-show, and you got to see a blundering mess from LeTang and Goligoski on the blue-line...

Well, Goligoski is from northern MN and played for the U of MN Gophers, so maybe he was nervous playing his first pro game in MN with his mom/dad/grandma/etc watching him play.   :P

You got also a weak performance from Fleury... 

Somehow I didn't seem to mind that.   :P  There was one 5-hole goal in particular that was pretty soft, and there was one goal that came off his pad that shouldn't of if he'd gotten his leg fully extended like he should have.

Overall though, a fun game.  The Wild won and the Pens (well Crosby) were fun to watch.  The Wild did have the edge, but it was easy to see the Pens really should be better than they are playing.  They did a nice job killing Gonchar's 5min major and I thought that'd give them a chance to get back in it, but the Wild were still rolling I guess... :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 12:15 AM »
PK's are actually something they maintain well, even in downturns, but this downturn's stinging.  A lot of people talking locally about the possibility of changes, and how this is the truest test of Bylsma since he's joined up with the team.  I personally think that's true, but I also doubt he's "on the chopping block" if this continues.  

To me, it's more guys like Malkin who need to straighten up.  He's a brilliant player at both ends when he wants to be, but he's quick to admit his game's just **** right now.  He's giving up the puck when he was a league leader in stealing it at one point...  I'd love to see the stat on give-aways on just him.  His plus/minus pretty much sums it up though.

Obviously I'm disappointed but I'm glad you got a good game Jeff, I just am disappointed in a team so overwhelmingly talented and at the cap, and they are in the basement with the powerplay.  It's dismal.  Everyone and his brother agrees though, Malkin needs dumped to the #2 PP and someone else needs a shot at the left point because it's comically bad right now.  I'm not a fan of centers on the blue-line in a PP anyway, unless they're outstandingly good defensive centers...  The last time I saw it that I felt it worked was Ron Francis.  Malkin's not Ron Francis so he needs to move back to the 2nd unit.

Fleury's softest was his first...  I don't know WTF that was.  Fluttering shots can throw you off but all he had to do was square his body to that, and he was trying to piss with his mit to catch it and not move much...  simply stupid on his part.

Crosby looked fantastic though, he's a real leader through example...  His goal the other night in Toronto was gorgeous.  I love watching the guy play, but right now he's all there is to watch and it's depressing.

Hats off to the Wild.  You have a sharp assed team right now.  Real well-rounded I think. 

I like the 3rd jerseys and the people in the animal outfits (I seriously have no idea what your logo's animal is exactly, and don't think I ever heard it described.  Looks like a bear to me or some kind of cat, but it's cool).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:16 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 12:22 AM »
I'd love to see the stat on give-aways on just him.  His plus/minus pretty much sums it up though.

I think he was a -2 with 2 give-aways tonight.   :-X

He looked like he wanted to shoot and that was about it.  The only real times he seemed like he was up on it was out in front of the net.  DEfinitely played sloppy on the PP, so I can see what you are saying.  I thought they did put Kennedy(?) out there with Guerin/Crosby/Gonchar/? on one PP and they seemed to cycle a bit better that way.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28 AM »
Kennedy's a good presence.  He's a highly underrated guy, but his timing's maybe not up to that kind of play I think...  A lot of folks here are calling for Rupp to move up that spot because he's a handsy guy but he's getting older so he's losing a step I think.

I'm just at a loss for words with them right now...  When they're on, they're scary.  When they're off, they just punch you in the balls as a fan, probably because on paper they're stacked...  and not NY Rangers stacked in that they bought up every free-agent they could think of, but stacked with talented younger guys stacked, and a couple older guys you could view as "solid".

Malkin had a streaky thing last year too...  He didn't come alive right away in the playoffs too, so maybe he'll shake it off, it's just going on too long and they kept saying this road trip was going to be good for them...  it doesn't seem that way now though.

Were you sitting low or high at that game Jeff?  I looked but I couldn't find you.  I still honestly can't believe you found me if it weren't for your pointing me out.  That still was amazing to me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:29 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 01:32 AM »
Jeff,

Apparantly the Pens got a tour of your arena and all the facilities it has because it's what the new Pittsburgh arena's being modeled after.  I had no idea about that...  Ours is, I guess, going to be very similar to yours.  Pretty slick, thought maybe you'd find that interesting.

There was a local article about some of the player reactions and things, and how positive they were.  I like checking out the new place any time I'm in uptown since I always park at the garage beside the construction site.  Looks really nice.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 12:18 AM »
Recap -
1/09 = Wild 6, Chicago 5 (after 8 rounds of shoot-out)
1/11 = Wild 4, Pittsburgh 3

and tonight...
1/21 = Detroit 4, Wild 3 (after 8 rounds of shoot-out)

The Wild, down 3-1 with 10 min left in the 3rd, clawed their way back into the game and force overtime, ultimately losing after another killer 8-round shoot-out.  Disappointed that they couldn't pull out a victory for a 3-0 season sweep for me, but still 5 points in the 3 games I went to is pretty good for a team fighting to grab a 7/8 seed in the playoffs. :)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2010, 01:56 AM »
Wow, definitely some memorable games.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Oilers are on a roll with 11 straight losses & they are at the bottom of the **** pile with 38pts, 1 point behind Carolina.  ::)

This season is done for them... good!  >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 05:04 AM »
Another loss for whatever the **** you call them...  ::)

The Oilers are now one off the franchise record winless streak of 14 games, a mark they can equal Monday against the Carolina Hurricanes.

Whomever: 38pts.
Carolina/Toronto: 45pts.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 01:26 PM »
If it's any consolation, I think prior to last night it Alberta's hockey teams were 0-24 between them.  The Flames only won because they played whomever.  Regardless it's still better than not having a hockey team at all.  Who holds the record for winless streak in the NHL?

In other news, Phaneuf was banished to hell.   :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2010, 01:32 PM »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: February 1, 2010, 02:28 PM »
In other news, Phaneuf was banished to hell.   :o

So did Calgary give up then?  If they are throwing in the towel and Dale's Oilers are well, I'll be nice and say "struggling", that may make things a bit easier for my squad to sneak into that #8 seed.  :)
« Last Edit: February 1, 2010, 02:29 PM by Jeff »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 1, 2010, 02:51 PM »
I'm not sure how to view it.  Obviously the Leafs are so far in the toilet the only way they can go is up (I suppose at the moment you can sort of say the same for the Flames/Oil) so they seem to have decided to start restructuring immediately with a couple of significant trades and apparently more to come. 

The Phaneuf trade surprised me though.  I acknowledge he's having an off year but he still rates pretty highly as a defenseman IMO and he's remarkably young to give up on I'd think.  I guess it depends what Toronto was offering, but I'd have thought they'd move Igninla first, perhaps not enough to pry him away.  I think that was a very positive move for the Leafs which makes the other trade a little odd.  I like Giguere as a goalie, but he's getting long in the tooth so I'd only think of him as a short term investment.  It's not like the Leafs are going to make the playoffs anyway, so I'm not as clear on that move.  At the same time I'll happily admit I don't follow the Leafs, I only revel in their misery.   ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.