Author Topic: A New A-Wing in 2010 (Very RUMOR)?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
A New A-Wing in 2010 (Very RUMOR)?
« on: December 5, 2009, 03:39 AM »
We've got a much larger, and more detailed gallery of the prototypes posted on our front page...  Feel free to check them out:

Clicky to check it out.

It's very preliminary to talk about a new A-Wing but the gallery of images included a blue/white cast A-Wing utilizing the Wal-Mart Arvel Crynyd A-Wing sculpt (with the updated cockpit and stuff).  The colors have some speculation that maybe we're going to get a McQuarrie Concept style A-Wing in 2010...  which I think is a good candidate if we're going to get another A-Wing at all.

I'm down for this...  It'd be neat to get the guns modded for it, but I just like the blue deco so I'm cool with that too.  Of course this is just a rumor and all, so who knows. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: A New A-Wing in 2010 (Very RUMOR)?
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I'd be all for the blue/white A-Wing.  It's long overdue. 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2009, 08:04 PM »
I'd be up for the blue and white concept A-Wing if they updated the guns for it as well.

However, I do think some people may be reading too much into things because of the plastic color.  If it's a true proto then there's no reason to believe it's anything other than coincidence that they used blue and white plastic to test.  In other words, it doesn't mean we won't get the concept, it's just that the color doesn't prove anything.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2009, 09:41 PM »
The sculpt shown does not seem to be a new tooling - which is fine by me as the A-Wing's sculpting still ranks as one of my favortie Kenner/Hasbro Star Wars vehicles in terms of looks and general accuracy.  That said, the blue concept A-Wing would be great!  I thought about getting another Crynyd A-Wing last year to paint one myself, but never got around to it...
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2009, 02:51 AM »
It's very reminiscent of the original McQuarrie design, even at this stage.  And the concept figures we've gotten in terms of Anakin, Ki-Adi Mundi and IG-88 seem to confirm that Hasbro believes in the concept art figure.  That Anakin is one of the hotter figures of the past couple of years.  And with this A-Wing?  They already had the tooling from the 2008 release.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2009, 02:51 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2009, 02:55 AM »
I'd be up for the blue and white concept A-Wing if they updated the guns for it as well.

However, I do think some people may be reading too much into things because of the plastic color.  If it's a true proto then there's no reason to believe it's anything other than coincidence that they used blue and white plastic to test.  In other words, it doesn't mean we won't get the concept, it's just that the color doesn't prove anything.

E...

I agree with this wholeheartedly E, however just some past track records show (with this person's pics) that generally if the colors match something that's out there closely it tends to come out that way.  WIth the AWing here the blue engines I can see getting a blue paintjob to match on the main hull, with the off-white color as the base...  I can see it but it's pure speculation is the point there for sure.

A couple of the items pictured recently are clearly test shots for the molds.  Others I'm thinking MIGHT be production test shots.

For the curious the term "prototype" is generically applied to these items, but they're really tests of molds generally, which often come in wacky colors of plastic because they're using what's already in the machine or what's on hand to test the mold.  Secondary test shots before production often come in the vehicle's molded colors without paint applications as they're right before the production stage at that point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2009, 09:14 AM »
I down with another A-Wing too. Nice way to build a fleet without taking up too much space.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2009, 12:26 PM »
If it's the New Republic Blue, I'll get one. I don't need anymore Red ones, or even that green version.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2009, 02:06 PM »
I agree with what others have said, I think this is the proto of the WM exclusive we got in 2008.

I'd be all over this version though:

« Last Edit: December 7, 2009, 02:07 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 7, 2009, 05:11 PM »
I like the idea of the blue version as well, I always liked the micromachine line for doing those different colored versions in the action fleet line.
I hope it doesn't cost more than $40-Please let it be a Target exclusive and not TRU (high prices) or Wally (distribution nightmare).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I sort of hope the A-Wing sees the light of day again, and that blue deco would be nice.  The last WM exclusive one never made it around here, and I'd sort of like to pick up the slightly updated version.  I have a lone POTF2 one, which is nice too, but I wouldn't mind picking up this newer version.  Plus, it would be nice to see more OT vehicles in the regular "starfighter" assortment if this actually does land there (alongside the Cloud Car/Snowspeeder).  They could all be exclusives for all I know too.